Arizona Joe's Restaurant, in Kad Farang

BarnicaleBob

2 hours ago, VillageIdiot said:

When you go, don't let yourself be duped, ramrod.

That ain't no '33 Ford coupe.

In all probability it's a plastic repro body set on a rice-sucker chassis powered by a little four-banger like the ones in so many Yank Tanks in Havana. But at least the bodies of those old '50s classics are authentic for the most part, and the back seats may still smell of poon-tang.

The "'33 Ford" in Hang Dong is a total fake... you can bet the ranch on it.

That said, it can still bring back memories to anyone who grew up in the USA during the 1950s.

Another unforgettable time and place that is gone with the wind.

Does that also mean that all the crap hanging off the millions of Irish bars around the world isn’t genuine either?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sharktooth said:

Does that also mean that all the crap hanging off the millions of Irish bars around the world isn’t genuine either?

I don't know.

When I was growing up there were more Irish in New York than there were in Dublin.

So it depends on what you mean by genuine.

Edited by VillageIdiot
  • Like 1

In summary, Arizona Joe's seems like an improvement over the previous incarnations at this property and probably a good place to go if you live in the area or find yourself there.  But, based on what I saw from the photos, it doesn't look like the sort of place where you'd make a special trip just to enjoy their cuisine.  Now, if there was some other reason to go, like, say, a good band as E/S asked, then maybe yes.  But, just to have a meal, naw, there are too many other good places within walking distance of where I live.

Just came back from A.J.'s with the kids.  We all loved the food.  It reminded us of road trips across the US West and hitting the roadside food joints in AZ, UT, and NM.  Chili cheese fries, good hamburger, shake, meatloaf plate with some of the best mashed potatoes I've had in CM.  Brought back lots of memories over fully tummies.  All I heard going home was "I miss American food".   If anyone can recommend a joint with a true American style steak, I would be appreciative (have had at Duke's, just OK in my opinion).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, NancyL said:

Well, of course you have Duke's, but it's going to be difficult to find a place here with good "American-style" steak just because such meat is so expensive. 

Difficult place to find???no way Nancy

Four Seasons Resort Sunday Brunch , Maerim, two sunday,s back  i had Australian Wagyu Ribeye,(medium rare) went back for a second helping  it was that delectable  as for Duke,s tried a steak   a few years back    barely a pass for me .

a lovely morning to all

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

This is the American breakfast that I miss...... 

B_G.jpg

They serve a wonderful sausage gravy at the CEC Friday morning breakfasts at River Market, but then it's ruined because the biscuits aren't buttermilk, but rather salty cheesy biscuits like the ones at Red Lobster.  So, I create a Thai-fusion breakfast by ladling the sausage gravy over the nice vegetable fried rice on offer in the Thai food section of the breakfast buffet.

52 minutes ago, chingmai331 said:

Don't forget stevens that Nancy is on foot to get the food.  So hoofing it to Mae Rim seems mighty unlikely even if steak is on the menu.  

Bye the way, what was the bill for one person eating the Sunday brunch?

2.600 baht plus plus  approx 3.000 baht free flow wine and cocktails  or 1900 baht plus plus approx 2200 baht  no wine or cocktails

from noon to 3.30 pm and  Pom,s jazz band plays through out  the arvo, when all  the fare (lobsters oysters prawns duck,wagnu steak salads  deserts etc etc)is taken into consideration, and throw in the impeccable outstanding service, its a steal at that price ,and for a big doer or drinker, its highway robbery:smile:

btw Gourmet Club members receive 20% discount, been attending for yonks and yonks, best Sunday  Brunch in C/mai by the proverbial mile!!!

• Like 1

Called by yesterday. First visit. Food OK, but the decor of the place is so vulgar.....nothing in there matches.....tiles in conflicting colours and patterns everywhere.....very nice retro American ads on the wall, but surrounded by silly little ornaments of animals etc.....I know its "the food that counts" but the whole place decoratively just bad taste. Maybe the owner did it on purpose? Who knows? Made me feel sea sick !!!!!

46 minutes ago, EL159 said:

Called by yesterday. First visit. Food OK, but the decor of the place is so vulgar.....nothing in there matches.....tiles in conflicting colours and patterns everywhere.....very nice retro American ads on the wall, but surrounded by silly little ornaments of animals etc.....I know its "the food that counts" but the whole place decoratively just bad taste. Maybe the owner did it on purpose? Who knows? Made me feel sea sick !!!!!

The owners are Thai & American.....The decor probably reflects that crossroad.....Found it to be brightly colored but not offensive....It's not like dining in a kaleidoscope ....

Guess it depends on personal imperatives....

Edited by pgrahmm

5 hours ago, evenstevens said:

2.600 baht plus plus  approx 3.000 baht free flow wine and cocktails  or 1900 baht plus plus approx 2200 baht  no wine or cocktails

from noon to 3.30 pm and  Pom,s jazz band plays through out  the arvo, when all  the fare (lobsters oysters prawns duck,wagnu steak salads  deserts etc etc)is taken into consideration, and throw in the impeccable outstanding service, its a steal at that price ,and for a big doer or drinker, its highway robbery:smile:

btw Gourmet Club members receive 20% discount, been attending for yonks and yonks, best Sunday  Brunch in C/mai by the proverbial mile!!!

Sounds delightful.  Us poor city folk have to make do with Le Meridien.  This sounds comparable to the first Sunday of the month feed there, but without the jazz band.  Is it outdoors?  I'm not big on alfresco dining, unless the weather is cool.

But, of course one problem in scraping together the Uber fare and traveling out to Mae Rim is that I'd probably run into E/S.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Best Yankee Breakfast

Try Sausage King.

Real Value for money and well prepared.

john

Gotta be a shill....same ol', "Aliens came to earth, looked at beautiful American breakfast. Went back to home planet. Forgot to write anything down or take photos. Tried to reconstruct "American breakfast" from memory."

Totally lame. 

The fact is that making good American-style breakfast items is not rocket science, but here you'd think it is. I (and probably many members here) could whip up a restaurant quality breakfast at home easily and in no time. But for some reason, it never materializes here.

Like someone said, maybe it's the alien-inspired interference of the Thais. 

Edited by Trujillo
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Trujillo said:

Gotta be a shill....same ol', "Aliens came to earth, looked at beautiful American breakfast. Went back to home planet. Forgot to write anything down or take photos. Tried to reconstruct "American breakfast" from memory."

Totally lame. 

The fact is that making good American-style breakfast items is not rocket science, but here you'd think it is. I (and probably many members here) could whip up a restaurant quality breakfast at home easily and in no time. But for some reason, it never materializes here.

Like someone said, maybe it's the alien-inspired interference of the Thais. 

A lot of ppl can make, not sure about in no time, a "homestyle" or diner style restaurant quality breakfast here. 

I go out to eat professionally made food,  like a properly poached egg etc.

Can't say the photos of the breakfast shown would encourage me to try it but we all have different tastes and the decor ,Elvis, Red Phone Box is so old hat. I'm, sure some one with real creative flair could have done better .

So many breakfast options from Mae Hia south.Starting at Pancake House at Mae Hia market, Yummy,Kwan's Kitchen all excellent then still on Canal Rd take a left and there are at least 15 coffeen shop/cafes through to Hang Dong Rd including Danisa ,Im, Bon Marche,Origin and many more whose names escape me,not all do tradional breakfasts obviously.Absolutely no need to drive into the city and an old favourite Hide Away cafe is still tucked away off Hang Dong Rd south of Airport Plaza loads of breakfast options on the menu.

I wish them well.Being in the food buisness, and not on the tourist route, makes it difficult to build a customer base based on locals .Its not about the numbers trying it now its more about the ones that will go back,that's the key.

On 10/12/2017 at 5:47 PM, Sparkles said:

Can't say the photos of the breakfast shown would encourage me to try it but we all have different tastes and the decor ,Elvis, Red Phone Box is so old hat. I'm, sure some one with real creative flair could have done better .

So many breakfast options from Mae Hia south.Starting at Pancake House at Mae Hia market, Yummy,Kwan's Kitchen all excellent then still on Canal Rd take a left and there are at least 15 coffeen shop/cafes through to Hang Dong Rd including Danisa ,Im, Bon Marche,Origin and many more whose names escape me,not all do tradional breakfasts obviously.Absolutely no need to drive into the city and an old favourite Hide Away cafe is still tucked away off Hang Dong Rd south of Airport Plaza loads of breakfast options on the menu.

I wish them well.Being in the food buisness, and not on the tourist route, makes it difficult to build a customer base based on locals .Its not about the numbers trying it now its more about the ones that will go back,that's the key.

Maybe the breakfast photos posted were just what a cheap Charlie would order...