7-Eleven convenience stores cease selling draft beer temporarily

webfact

7-Eleven convenience stores cease selling draft beer temporarily

By Chalarntorn Yothasmutra

Youthnetwork_6oct17.jpg

BANGKOK: -- CP All has agreed to temporarily cease selling  of draft beer at its 7- Eleven convenient stores after strong opposition by anti-alcoholic networks.

Representatives of the two networks, the Youth Network of New Face Drinker Prevention, and the Stop Drink Network, met executives of CP All, which owns and  operates all 7-Eleven convenience stores in the country, on Friday and submitted them protesting note.

In a negotiation, the company agreed to temporarily halt the selling of draft beer, pending consultation with its top management, and it’s executive board.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/7-eleven-convenience-stores-cease-selling-draft-beer-temporarily/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-10-06

The rationale given for not allowing the sale of draught beer was that car drivers could drink and drive after buying one. It seems to me that the dolts who made this comment have not realised that if you buy a can of beer or a bottle of whisky or wine you can also drink this the moment you get into your car. Duh!

3 hours ago, brommers said:

The rationale given for not allowing the sale of draught beer was that car drivers could drink and drive after buying one. It seems to me that the dolts who made this comment have not realised that if you buy a can of beer or a bottle of whisky or wine you can also drink this the moment you get into your car. Duh!

Don't argue against Thai logic. You'll lose.

Those who drink and drive do it successfully by buying cans from 7/11 and drink them in the car, behind 7/11 or even in front of 7/11. So banning selling draft beer doesn't make a big difference. Anyway I think draft beer is way more appealing, which might scare the people against alcohol. 

9 hours ago, DavisH said:

7-11 sells draft beer? Or do they mean canned and bottled beer, which isn't draft beer. School's out and I could have used a pint of lunchtime lager this week.

Some have been selling draft beer certainly not all outlets at this stage.

Edited by maoro2013
App changing spelling

So, if draught beer dispensers are maybe going to be outlawed in the 7's will there be any chance of buying a secondhand one to put in my front room do you think?

That would save me the 500yds (I'm English, I don't do foreign measurements :smile: ) trek to the 7.

30 minutes ago, LoZth said:

So, if draught beer dispensers are maybe going to be outlawed in the 7's will there be any chance of buying a secondhand one to put in my front room do you think?

That would save me the 500yds (I'm English, I don't do foreign measurements :smile: ) trek to the 7.

I'm missing something here. I think only 2 countries still use imperial measurements. I thought English = metric ?

What kind of draft beer was 7/11 selling?  Did they start brewing their own brand?

If they do beer slurpees I hope they open some drive-thrues as well.

I'll have the stout slurpee please.

Edited by Pakaty

Gotta love the logic here. No wonder it's a culture of not complaining or debating. Just do as I say.

Remember dating a girl who said she didn't drink. Not because it's bad for your health or she just didn't like it - because she was a 'good girl'. That really ticked me off, so I started to question her on the logic. How does having a beer, etc, make you a bad person? She had no answer because the logic was stupid and completely uninformed. I asked her if she ever paid 'tea money' to the police when driving. She said she had, so I went on a rant about how corruption is a cancer in society. 

Suffice to say we never met again. 99% of the time I let things go. But ignorance mixed with sanctimony can set people off. 

12 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

7-11s sell draught beer?

(Well used to as of now). 

Never noticed. 

It was announced yesterday - so another well-thought out scheme immediately put on hold like the seat belts in pick-ups law.

12 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

7-11s sell draught beer?

(Well used to as of now). 

Never noticed. 

I'm the same as you BP, I never knew that "draft/draught beer was available at any 7-11 anywhere. Draft beer by definition is drawn from a pressurized cask or keg.

I always thought 7-11 sold canned and bottled beers.

Clarification anyone?

1 hour ago, malt25 said:

I'm missing something here. I think only 2 countries still use imperial measurements. I thought English = metric ?

I hope England still uses God's system.  What is 1k , is it 1 kilo , 1 kilometer or 1 thousand.

500 yards I hope it still is ,was when I was last there in 2005.

26 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

I'm the same as you BP, I never knew that "draft/draught beer was available at any 7-11 anywhere. Draft beer by definition is drawn from a pressurized cask or keg.

I always thought 7-11 sold canned and bottled beers.

Clarification anyone?

In a few 7 11  outlets Leo beer is on draft.

1 hour ago, Pakaty said:

What kind of draft beer was 7/11 selling?  Did they start brewing their own brand?

If they do beer slurpees I hope they open some drive-thrues as well.

I'll have the stout slurpee please.

It was Leo, but they couldn't show it was Leo because showing any beer logos could sent Thais into a frenzy.  So in theory you didn't know what you were buying. Except, of course, everyone did, so covering the logo was pointless. But that doesn't matter to the Thais. They could pretend no-one knew it was beer that they were buying.

What a weird country this is.