Soldiers raid unofficial Full Moon Party on Koh Phangan

rooster59

7 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

That ****hole Hua Hin has nothing in common with Phangan beaches, except they all have sea water and sand.

Hey there TBLuvver. I have to take issue with you over Hua hin.

Beaufiful harbour with some lovely fishing vessels.

HH-02.jpg.5efc842f514891bc08f77827bc8d221d.jpg

Relaxing fishing from the pier. Probably the best chess club in Thailand. Art is everywhere. Wilson's fishery has a really good head of Red Tail catfish and Julian Price carp. 

Local forests have rubbish bins.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Period of mourning aside, the main issue is that there seems to be no forward planning, especially for business owners and tourists.

Modern day Thailand has a serious case of "groupthink". For expats one of the key concerns is, where will this lead the country in the future.

No Thai cares what you or I think. They do care how you and I act.  It is common knowledge that October is a month of mourning. Anyway who searches Thailand on the Internet or their smart phone will know this.

These people are a poor example of foreigners not caring anything about Thai culture. The use of drugs is a criminal offense. In addition, those who were selling the drugs are also equally guilty.  Thai people read about incidents like this and it is no wonder they are offended and why they look down on foreigners. Foreigners using drugs; Foreigners showing a lack of respect for local customs; Foreigners having sex in public; Foreigners drunk and disorderly; Foreigners stealing and on and on.

As far as I am concerned the Full Moon Party should stay cancelled-forever.  I have nothing against real fun- which the full moon party does not represent. Why come to Thailand and act like a fool ; hang out with other farang fools- when you can do the same in your home country and save the airfare.

10 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Relaxing fishing from the pier. Probably the best chess club in Thailand. Art is everywhere. Wilson's fishery has a really good head of Red Tail catfish and Julian Price carp. 

I have many issues with Hua Hin, from the insane drivers, the rubbish public transport, the horses pooing on the beach to the horrid Hilton destroying the view, but my main hate on Hua Hin is that they encroached almost all the beach below high tide.

Art doesn't compensate for theft of public beach in the slightest.

Regardless of Phangan and Samui's many problems, at least I can walk along the beaches at high tide.

19 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Most beaches in Thailand do not depend on parties to attract customers. Hat Rin does because they ruined it to cater for the FMP mob.  As for the rest of Phangan, I was shocked when I found out that even a cheap place on Haad Khom has minimum stays during the FMP. Seems that the entire island has been taken over by FMP madness.

That ****hole Hua Hin has nothing in common with Phangan beaches, except they all have sea water and sand.

I've seen all beach places, and over 24- 23-22 years ago when they were still truly nice. I beg to differ now (I still travel around here in Thailand), but all are fun in some way, even if degraded (Hua Hin). So they on Phangna, only have themselves to blame for the FMP debacle. I don't think any of these operators will go under as they all make and have made hand over fist and have a kitty to draw from. Locking in stays for several days policy is no new thing. 

1 hour ago, holy cow cm said:

If there are a few hundred white boys and girls less not coming for the beach parties, then it won't matter much to the economy. From my eyes, the Chinese are everywhere and already ahead of the financial game. 

Really no needed to bring race into this .

No need to differentiate between white party goers and non white party goers 

27 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I haven't been out of the room for a couple of days, so I can't say if Chiang Mai is in black yet, but none of the people passing by on the road are, so far.

Bangkok is, and was at the Airport mall (Chiang Mai) last night eating dinner and yes, more than 50% of Thai in black. Is like a fashion almost. 

1 minute ago, holy cow cm said:

Tourist point of view. Not a race thing. The tourist money is still hot and heavy here. 

If you label people by their race, then it becomes a race thing

People from all races attend the FMP , no need to specify one groups colour

1 minute ago, Thaidream said:

No Thai cares what you or I think. They do care how you and I act.  It is common knowledge that October is a month of mourning. Anyway who searches Thailand on the Internet or their smart phone will know this.

These people are a poor example of foreigners not caring anything about Thai culture. The use of drugs is a criminal offense. In addition, those who were selling the drugs are also equally guilty.  Thai people read about incidents like this and it is no wonder they are offended and why they look down on foreigners. Foreigners using drugs; Foreigners showing a lack of respect for local customs; Foreigners having sex in public; Foreigners drunk and disorderly; Foreigners stealing and on and on.

As far as I am concerned the Full Moon Party should stay cancelled-forever.  I have nothing against real fun- which the full moon party does not represent. Why come to Thailand and act like a fool ; hang out with other farang fools- when you can do the same in your home country and save the airfare.

LOL.

Nothing happens in Thailand that is not promoted or tolerated by THAIS.

The FMP was created by and is run by THAIS

The drugs are sold by THAIS

Some THAIS don't respect their own local customs

I've seen THAIS having sex in public

I've seen loads of THAIS drunk and disorderly

THAIS do most of the stealing in Thailand

on and on

You have your opinion on the FMP that is shared by many, but almost all human activity offends someone.

Had Rin was probably the most beautiful beach in Thailand, but has been ruined by humans. Nevertheless, it is but one beach among many ruined by human greed in LOS.

I see no problem in allowing a FMP on one beach, as long as the disease doesn't spread, which it would if the FMP was banned permanently.

20 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Julliens golden prize carp?  Do try not to fuel the endangered wildlife trade, would you eat a panda if it was in the menu?

9 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

I've seen all beach places, and over 24- 23-22 years ago when they were still truly nice. I beg to differ now (I still travel around here in Thailand), but all are fun in some way, even if degraded (Hua Hin). So they on Phangna, only have themselves to blame for the FMP debacle. I don't think any of these operators will go under as they all make and have made hand over fist and have a kitty to draw from. Locking in stays for several days policy is no new thing. 

24 years ago we could rent an A frame with shared bathroom for a few baht on most beaches. Not going to happen now that greed has killed the golden goose. Now it's just concrete and swimming pools for the flashpackers. The thing that brought beach lovers to Thailand's islands has long ago departed.

"Fun"? Depends on what you call fun. Some would call drinking alcohol with little umbrellas while slobbing by the pool fun, some would call shaking themselves in a big Chaweng disco fun. Neither of them constitute "fun" in my book, but I didn't go to the beach for "fun". I went to relax and appreciate the peaceful ambience, but nowadays there isn't much peace or enjoyable ambience left.

Best memory I have of all the beaches I ever stayed at in LOS is of sitting in a hillside restaurant on Than Sadet and looking at flocks of white birds alighting in the trees. No machine generated musak, no horrid concrete buildings to be seen, no pools, just sea, sand, birds and trees and the sound of waves. True bliss.

Just now, sanemax said:

If you label people by their race, then it becomes a race thing

People from all races attend the FMP , no need to specify one groups colour

Was talking on the outside of the FMP thing as Thailand will not suffer on the whole for the entire month. I also think the local beach economy will still have visitors if no FMP.  I for one don't mind the country or the people of that country being stated directly. Slang is maybe the one you should take offense to.. I don't think anything of it except for painting a better picture. 

1 minute ago, holy cow cm said:

I for one don't mind the country or the people of that country being stated directly. Slang is maybe the one you should take offense to.. I don't think anything of it except for painting a better picture. 

What country are you talking about ?

1 minute ago, Kieran00001 said:

Julliens golden prize carp?  Do try not to fuel the endangered wildlife trade, would you eat a panda if it was in the menu?

Thanks for the reply Kieran.  I think you post is a little cryptic.

I would not eat a carp under normal circumstances; nor a panda. But I have eaten snake, dog, ostridge and lots of other things under extreme conditions.  

However in direct response to your post I didn't intend to fuel the endangered wildlife trade.

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

24 years ago we could rent an A frame with shared bathroom for a few baht on most beaches. Not going to happen now that greed has killed the golden goose. Now it's just concrete and swimming pools for the flashpackers. The thing that brought beach lovers to Thailand's islands has long ago departed.

"Fun"? Depends on what you call fun. Some would call drinking alcohol with little umbrellas while slobbing by the pool fun, some would call shaking themselves in a big Chaweng disco fun. Neither of them constitute "fun" in my book, but I didn't go to the beach for "fun". I went to relax and appreciate the peaceful ambience, but nowadays there isn't much peace or enjoyable ambience left.

Best memory I have of all the beaches I ever stayed at in LOS is of sitting in a hillside restaurant on Than Sadet and looking at flocks of white birds alighting in the trees. No machine generated musak, no horrid concrete buildings to be seen, no pools, just sea, sand, birds and trees and the sound of waves. True bliss.

The pristine has certainly went down hill I agree. I can still find and have fun no matter where I go, but when going to a place over killed like a Samui, Krabi, Phangnan is a bit sad. I for one have never been to a beach party. I am more apt to sit on a beach with one friend in a quiet place rather than with a group. I do like beach bars though! 

4 hours ago, Thian said:

Guess you haven't seen the millions of Thai wearing black all days.. now why would that be???

The only Thais that I have seen wearing black on a daily basis are the ones employed by  the government , where wearing black is compulsory

47 minutes ago, cmsally said:

Period of mourning aside, the main issue is that there seems to be no forward planning, especially for business owners and tourists.

Modern day Thailand has a serious case of "groupthink". For expats one of the key concerns is, where will this lead the country in the future.

10 gold cups for that.

8 minutes ago, sanemax said:

You were talking about "all" Countries .

So why did you specify just white people then  ?

BTW : Are you writing your sentences in Thai and putting them through google translate ?

Generalized to North America - EU - Australia. Such it is a few hundred white boys and white girls. Back packers on the majority. 

10 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

The pristine has certainly went down hill I agree. I can still find and have fun no matter where I go, but when going to a place over killed like a Samui, Krabi, Phangnan is a bit sad. I for one have never been to a beach party. I am more apt to sit on a beach with one friend in a quiet place rather than with a group. I do like beach bars though! 

I have been to a few FMPs back when they were smaller and the north end was deserted. After wandering around and looking in amazement at the young ones swilling buckets I'd lie down in a quiet spot and watch the moon pass overhead. For some reason the moon does look more impressive there than elsewhere.

With the dawn there was always the entertainment of seeing drunk guys being led into the bushes by one of the many katoeys that came for the pickin's. A few minutes later, the katoey would be legging it down the beach with said drunk guy in hot pursuit. Katoeys were always faster though, 555555555555555.

Regardless of the merits or otherwise of the FMP, it was an opportunity to see humanity at play- very interesting, as Keaty would have said. Richard, of course, would have hated it.

16 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Thanks for the reply Kieran.  I think you post is a little cryptic.

I would not eat a carp under normal circumstances; nor a panda. But I have eaten snake, dog, ostridge and lots of other things under extreme conditions.  

However in direct response to your post I didn't intend to fuel the endangered wildlife trade.

Julliens golden prize carp are being fished out the Mekhong and are an endangered species, they may be farmed somewhere though, I don't know.

3 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

No they were stupid as everybody with half a brain could see this coming.

Maybe people living in Thailand could have expected this .

But people from other Countries couldnt have expected the cancellation .

I've seen people wandering around CM in November with no clue about Loy Kratong and just wondering why all the rooms are booked. It is so easy to travel these days and people do multiple countries, you can't really expect them to know all the details however important it may seem for those "on site".

Regarding the Full Moon Party it really started as a casual get together on the beach. When local bungalow operators started vying for the trade of these casual get togethers (mostly because it would see their restaurant empty out whilst everyone congregated at one place), Paradise Bungalows was a bit quicker than the others in that they started marketing it as their event . Back then only about 20 or so people.

A group of tourists and some of the Rajneesh guys that seemed to hang out there, up on the hill.

Just a bunch of druggies.

Don't have a problem with youth, young guns having a party. I do this month should show respect to the king .

And please tell me why you young uns have to have drugs involved? Why

Can't you enjoy yourselves without drugs?

Youth is waisted on the young the ruination of Thailand

4 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I have been to a few FMPs back when they were smaller and the north end was deserted. After wandering around and looking in amazement at the young ones swilling buckets I'd lie down in a quiet spot and watch the moon pass overhead. For some reason the moon does look more impressive there than elsewhere.

With the dawn there was always the entertainment of seeing drunk guys being led into the bushes by one of the many katoeys that came for the pickin's. A few minutes later, the katoey would be legging it down the beach with said drunk guy in hot pursuit. Katoeys were always faster though, 555555555555555.

Regardless of the merits or otherwise of the FMP, it was an opportunity to see humanity at play- very interesting, as Keaty would have said. Richard, of course, would have hated it.

Yes, I have had some rippen fun times on beaches, and the star and moon beauty is far better down in that neck of the woods. Something about being on the beach, even on the right time of year just seeing the Southern Cross used to give me a kick. Katoeys can certainly present some serious laughter if looking on the outside to the scene. 

Just now, FritsSikkink said:

If they ignore the news about their holiday country yes.

Although the Kings death was Worldly publicised  , the one year mourning wasnt bought to many peoples attention and the rest of the World would have been unaware of it and also unaware that there would be a months mourning in October .

It was only announced very recently the requirements of the month of mourning