Is it Time to Wave Goodbye to the Honda

Stubby

3 hours ago, connda said:

And for you folks with shabby looking bikes?  Dude's, ya gotta love them.  Wash them, a good coat of wax every couple of months, a little rubbing compound to smooth out the scrapes and nicks, and a little more wax.  Keep that chrome clean.  Heck - you're girl may mature, but she'll be one good looking babe as she puts on the years.  Yeah!  I love my Honda Dream!  She's a family member.  She's a keeper!

Hear, hear, Connda, well put ;)

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Sapporillo said:

I understand , however I wouldn't refurbish the mechanics unless they show serious signs of wear and tear. Is it still about as fast and powerful as when it was new? Or compared to other Waves on the road? Is the gearbox reasonably smooth (no loud whining, rattling or such)? Then get an oil change done and there's a good chance you won't have mechanical problems in the next two years...

Mechanics seem fine, Sapporillo. That's why I had a sudden change of mind and decided to look at a tart up.

6 hours ago, Pdaz said:

You could probably get the panels "wrapped" cheaper than paint. If it's only cosmetic.

What does wrapped mean/entail? I don't mind spending a few quid as long as the job's done well.

Stubby

1 hour ago, Stubby said:

What does wrapped mean/entail? I don't mind spending a few quid as long as the job's done well.

Stubby

Some people wrap their cars with vinyl, I'm not sure how good that'll look on a bike, IF you can find a shop that works with wraps. 

As mentioned before, instead of refreshing your old panels, check the prices for new panels, might be worth changing them. 

9 hours ago, Denim said:

Top Speed for a Honda Wave 125 looks to be about 140.....for a Thai.

I like to cruise at around 80km/h. I will go faster but for a tiny bike, I think 80km/h is fast enough. They're not as safe/stable as big bikes so one likes to be careful ;) Impressive, though.

Edited by Stubby

2 hours ago, Stubby said:

I like to cruise at around 80km/h. I will go faster but for a tiny bike, I think 80km/h is fast enough. They're not as safe/stable as big bikes so one likes to be careful ;) Impressive, though.

I agree. 80 is about right for a small bike. I like to know the top speed though as it gives an indication of what a comfortable cruising speed will be. Top speed for the Wave 100 is about 100 kph and I find the comfortable cruising speed to be about 65 - 70. More than that and it sounds too busy.

Not sure about where you are but I'm sure if you look hard enough there is a independent shop that carries all the parts for any model.  As you know there are many repair shops no matter where you live but all these shops when they need parts they go somewhere.

Here in Pattaya, there is a shop on Sukhumvit Soi 53, it carries everything, found out because everyone goes to them for parts and when I say everyone that is all the small independent one.

My son has a 8 years old Wave 125, 65,000, my first is a Honda Click 2007,  72,000, 2012 PCX  66,000  all change oil and service regularly every 4,000 KM.

Recently my son wanted to clean up his Wave, since he had few small accidents on it. All his wanted was a few panels replaced,  the guy recommended we purchased a kit, he said copy or original based on the price I said copy but first let me look at it. The guy pull down the box, open it and my son said WOW,  the kit came with all the panels you color and the black panels too and more including the Wave stickers, cost was 5,200 baht.

I took the Click there too for a Kit,  4900 baht..  both bikes now look new.

On 10/11/2017 at 6:52 PM, thailand49 said:

Not sure about where you are but I'm sure if you look hard enough there is a independent shop that carries all the parts for any model.  As you know there are many repair shops no matter where you live but all these shops when they need parts they go somewhere.

Here in Pattaya, there is a shop on Sukhumvit Soi 53, it carries everything, found out because everyone goes to them for parts and when I say everyone that is all the small independent one.

My son has a 8 years old Wave 125, 65,000, my first is a Honda Click 2007,  72,000, 2012 PCX  66,000  all change oil and service regularly every 4,000 KM.

Recently my son wanted to clean up his Wave, since he had few small accidents on it. All his wanted was a few panels replaced,  the guy recommended we purchased a kit, he said copy or original based on the price I said copy but first let me look at it. The guy pull down the box, open it and my son said WOW,  the kit came with all the panels you color and the black panels too and more including the Wave stickers, cost was 5,200 baht.

I took the Click there too for a Kit,  4900 baht..  both bikes now look new.

Thanks, thailand49, that's interesting to know. I'm actually looking into kit Vs respray at the moment. I need a few other things doing as well, but the panels are the major cost.

Stubby

Our Wave has done less than 10k in 5 years. It still looks brand new. The only thing we've done to it is put proper tyres on it (Pirellis). Not worth selling as its as good as a brand new one and we'd get less than half price for it.

Sent from my R2D2 droid using my C3P0 manservant

3 hours ago, Stubby said:

Thanks, thailand49, that's interesting to know. I'm actually looking into kit Vs respray at the moment. I need a few other things doing as well, but the panels are the major cost.

Stubby

The kits includes not just the panel, under the seat I believe there are some black panels that in included, in the back you got the black splash guard around the license plate, that is included, also the one in the front.  It is like getting a new bike, they even come with all the stickers 125 Wave. 

I was thinking the bike looks clean as they had change everything because without the stickers it is just plain. Then the guy empty the box and the stickers came out, everyone of them. 

This shop did it all less that two hours lot quicker than a paint job. 

Recently my PCX only 4 years look like shit bad paint job or left in the sun too much, or the washing station place was spraying something on the bike after it was clean that was dulling the paint. I went to Honda and ask if all the other white PCX were having the same problem. The manager said that is the normal paint job, I said no way look at the bottom panel and see the difference? In the end, we agree he would order one major panel and when it came he was shock the difference so I ended up ordering all the other panel total damage 5200 baht. When it was done the bike was like new but the cost didn't include everything like the kit for the Wave. I didn't have time to go back to the shop who had the kit for the Wave to see if they have one for the PCX.  

Edited by thailand49

14 hours ago, JaseTheBass said:

Our Wave has done less than 10k in 5 years. It still looks brand new. The only thing we've done to it is put proper tyres on it (Pirellis). Not worth selling as its as good as a brand new one and we'd get less than half price for it.

Sent from my R2D2 droid using my C3P0 manservant

It doesn't just look brand new JaseTheBase it is brand new - well almost. If it's anything like mine it's hardly be run in at 10K ;) There are a lot of choices in small bikes these days but for me personally I'm going to stick with what I know. 

Stubby

• 1 month later...

Hi Folks,

Here's a quick update for you.

I decided to give the bike a facelift and keep hold of it for a couple more years. I took it to PRO Auto on Hang Dong Road. I know it's a car business but it's very easy to communicate with Khun Ton and he's local—to me. 

If all you want is a new kit these facelifts don't cost much at all for small bikes. I decided to go further and replaced the decade-old seat, wheels, basket, mirrors, and so on. The engine still runs a tread and now I've got myself a brand new 11-year-old motorcycle.

Anyway, here are a few pics for anyone who's interested.

Best regards,

Stubby

W1.jpg

W4.jpg

w3.jpg

W5.jpg

W7.jpg

W9.jpg

I can't remember without totting it all up as I kept requesting new parts for this and that. It was well over 10K but I did go all out. Off the top of my head, I think the kit only would have come to 5-6K (including plain black panels)

Just now, Dante99 said:

Looks great.  Enjoy.  Congratulations.

Thanks, Dante99. Yes, they did a good job, especially as there was a bit of chasing up to do for some panels for such an old model.

thanks for following up on this, Stubby. I may do the same thing to my old Honda Dream....60,000 km/2008. I also don't want to change to a new one when this one seems so fine, still. The mechanic also talked about an engine "overhaul" which I guess means a new piston and new "wows" which is what Thais call "valves." It runs smooth up to 60 km/hr but above that the engine suddenly becomes a lot rougher. Mechanic said it's the valves/piston which is why I mention it. You got new "wheels" or just new tires? I'll be new wheels aren't cheap. Anyhow, I do appreciate your posts on this topic. Cheers....

3 hours ago, bamboozled said:

...looks like they threw some paint on there, too....

The wheel rims (without spokes) are about the same price as tires, Bamboozles (350-400 B). If you want a new set of shiny spokes they'll cost about the same again for each wheel.  I had to take the tatty engine casing to a small motorcycle shop as it required removing the casing to clean it up and do a proper spray job. Pro Auto isn't covered to tinker with motorcycle engines nor do they have bike mechanics on site. I wasn't an inconvenience as I just rode the bike 1km up the road. 

Hope that helps,

Stubby

Edited by Stubby

11 hours ago, SinKhaPoChin said:

LOL. Agreed. Maybe I respray my black/red to green/yellow when the time comes.

Hahah LOL You won't regret it. I tend to be more forgetful the older I get. It's easier to look for a bright green bike in a crowd than it is number plate or another common colored bike. 

Edited by Stubby