Is it Time to Wave Goodbye to the Honda

Stubby

Hi, folks.

This is a request for advice from those who know a thing or two about small bikes and bike maintenance.

I decided a few weeks ago to get rid of my little Honda Wave 125 in 2018 and buy a new one. I've had this bike for about 10 long years now. It's never let me down aside from three or four punctures.

GETTING ON BUT NOT DEAD YET!

I can't believe how strong and reliable such a tiny bike has been. It's taken me around the Samoeng Loop loads of times. And it's a nippy little vehicle for whizzing around town. Alas, it's old and tatty now.

The thing is it still runs like a Dream (pun intended). I'm only getting rid of it because it looks so old and shabby. But then I got to thinking—maybe I should get the whole bike repainted and hold on to it for another couple of years.

I'd obviously get the engine checked out first. I mean, how much longer could that possibly last for? But if the engine's okay, why not give the bike facelift and hold onto it for a while longer.

IS IT WORTH THE BOTHER?

Anyway, my question is this: Has anyone ever had a small bike spray painted in Chiang Mai? And if you have, could you recommend the place for me so I can check them out?

Thank you in advance,

Stubby

HondaWave.jpg

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

30 minutes ago, Stubby said:

I'd obviously get the engine checked out first. I mean, how much longer could that possibly last for? But if the engine's okay, why not give the bike facelift and hold onto it for a while longer.

I think this is the path you should follow.

Also, find out how much you would get for it. I sold a bike of same spec and age last year, moved up to a bigger bike. Only got 14500 for it. In hindsight I guess I should have kept it.

I'm going through the same thought process as you Stubby...........I have a Honda Click which is 10 years old now, done 22,000 km and still runs very well indeed, but the problem is it does look quite shabby.

It's never been in an accident and most of the scratches and scrapes on the thing are as a result of parking it in car parks and crowded places, but then again it's all superficial stuff.

A friend of mine who runs a motorbike rental shop here had one of his bikes go through a "makeover" where several of the panels were replaced and other things were tarted up, and it looks great, so I may well go through the same procedure.

I suppose one of the main reasons for not buying a new one is that I only use it for short local trips and the new one will be subjected to the same sort of scratches and scrapes as the old one, so perhaps keeping the old one and tarting it up is the answer!

15 minutes ago, xylophone said:

I'm going through the same thought process as you Stubby...........I have a Honda Click which is 10 years old now, done 22,000 km and still runs very well indeed, but the problem is it does look quite shabby.

I forgot to mention, my bike had done 98000kms. Oil changed regularly. Still ran like a dream.

That 125 Honda engine is very strong and durable.

31 minutes ago, puchooay said:

I think this is the path you should follow.

Also, find out how much you would get for it. I sold a bike of same spec and age last year, moved up to a bigger bike. Only got 14500 for it. In hindsight I guess I should have kept it.

I paid 28,000 Baht for it 10 years ago puchooay (1200Km on the clock). I'm not expecting to get much for it when I do sell it. I think you did great to get the price you did ;)

Try the man who has looked after my bikes for last 15 years.

Khun Uhte located Tung Hotel Rd Soi 1, that is the one that runs down the side of TOT main office.

Go past the Condo and his place is first garage on the left.

Not expensive and can arrange any work from engine overhaul to spray and complete rebuild.

john

19 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Xylophone, at 22,000 km it's virtually new - engine wise. I'd hold onto it if I were you unless you're looking to upgrade. Yes, new panels is another option. They're not expensive per piece, but it might end up costly for an entire set of panels. That's why I was thinking of a professional respray.

Stubby

2 minutes ago, jonwilly said:

Khun Uhte located Tung Hotel Rd Soi 1, that is the one that runs down the side of TOT main office.

Not expensive and can arrange any work from engine overhaul to spray and complete rebuild.

john

Thank you, John. I've made a note of that. Have you seen any of his paint work?

Stubby

6 minutes ago, BEVUP said:

Is that green bike the 10 yr old one ! & if so you call that shabby ! where do you ride around ?

Haha LOL :) I wondered if anyone would pick up on that BEVUP. That photo is about 6+ years old now. Today it looks a lot different. Today it's as if has one wheel in the grave ;) 

8 minutes ago, puchooay said:

I forgot to mention, my bike had done 98000kms. Oil changed regularly. Still ran like a dream.

Mines got about 67K on the clock so again, you got a decent price, or at least I think you did ;)

7 minutes ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

When I visit my wife's parent I see motorbikes that are at least 30 years old and still running "fine".

Well, the technology must have come a long way. When I was a kid it was common to see bikes broken down at the side of the road. Especially big Yamahas. The Hondas have always been pretty decent, though. But these little bikes are simply amazing.

I`ve had my Honda Wave 100cc motorbike for 14 years. Clocked up 78000KMs and still runs like a bat out of hell. Like the OP`s bike it`s never broken down except for a 2 or 3 punctures over the years. I can still turn my headlights on and off. It`s been a great workhorse and I can carry all my shopping on it. Bought it new and have always had it regularly serviced, usual cost around 280 baht.  

It`s blue and the colour has faded over the years but I would never part with it, my Honda Wave is like a faithful old friend, we have been many places together. I also thought about having it resprayed, but if the colour is changed, it means having to register the new colour on the green book and I can`t be bothered. I don`t like the new model Honda Waves, the seat is raised at the rear and not designed for carrying large items on the seat.

1 hour ago, Stubby said:

Xylophone, at 22,000 km it's virtually new - engine wise. I'd hold onto it if I were you unless you're looking to upgrade. Yes, new panels is another option. They're not expensive per piece, but it might end up costly for an entire set of panels. That's why I was thinking of a professional respray.

Stubby

Good point Stubby and judging by the mileage on yours and those of other posters here, mine is hardly run in!!!

Thanks for the comments............a spruce up and big service is on the cards!!

Cheers and thanks.

1 hour ago, RoyDee said:

First upgrade the bike with Man Utd stickers ... Red Devils ... do it quickly before Man City keeps winning. And respray to red. That lime green really sucks!

That lime green is great for when you're parked in the middle of 1000 bikes 'cus very few have it. The Green's staying ;)

Coming from the USA, where replacement parts and aftermarket panels cost an arm and a leg (and the labor will cost your first born male child), I was surprised at how reasonable it is to replace the plastic bits on scooters here.  If you're happy with the way it runs and rides, that's the way I'd go

And I should probably disclose that I bought a 2nd hand Fino, rode it around the neighborhood for an hour or so, scared the crap out of myself and it has sat in the parking lot for over 5 years...

Edited by impulse

I have been trying to upgrade for a while on my 10 year old Honda click 108cc, which is great. It's got 24988 on the clock it's still in great condition. I love the bike but I want something a bit more macho. Nothing heavy or loud. I like the nmax and pcx bikes. Hard to change for no good reason for me tbh. Only upgraded cars for primary reason of more airbags.

"Thank you, John. I've made a note of that. Have you seen any of his paint work?"

Uhte outloads serious paintwork. He will do a good job.

His 'Boy' mid 30's, Khun Haw speak enough English to establish work required.

Uhte really only knows Motorcycle English, but he is a honest guy who enjoys working on bikes.

john

I have a 15 yr. old Yamaha Nuovo. It looks like it's 15 yrs. old, but drives like the day we bought it. I see no reason to buy a new bike, we keep it well maintained and plan to keep for as long as it's safe and drives well. One big plus is that we don't have to worry about it getting stolen.

Edited by gjoo888

14 hours ago, jonwilly said:

john

I think i know him ?

His only tool is a worn screw -driver?

cheap as chips to refurbish it.

Take it in to a reputable dealer (if one exists), and get:

New piston and cylinder.

spark plug

oil filer and oil

air filter

brake pads and front rotor

chain and sprockets 

new tires (possibly source from somewhere else and get michelin or pirelli if possible)

New fork oil for the front forks.

Done. 

14 hours ago, puchooay said:

you forgot to mention 98 000 km ?

And you want half price after 10 years ?

And probably it is not the green bike in the picture?

Drive another 98 000 km and try selling it in 10 years for 12 000 bht ?

But i love reading cheap charly stories ,555

36 minutes ago, gjoo888 said:

I have a 15 yr. old Yamaha Nuovo. It looks like it's 15 yrs. old, but drives like the day we bought it. I see no reason to buy a new bike, we keep it well maintained and plan to keep for as long as it's safe and drives well. One big plus is that we don't have to worry about it getting stolen.

what's your adres?

8 minutes ago, tomwct said:

No need for a new bike! Save your money for a new car!

555 that will take him probably 20 y of saving? Or longer ?

I have a 15 yr. old Yamaha Nuevo. It looks like it's 15 yrs. old.........5555

i have a 91 year ols grandmother .....she looks 91 years..What a statement,5555

I had a 5 year old Honda wave,20 000 km ,

wanted 12 000 bht for it .....got laughed away everywhere ...

Had a few scratches in the plastic ,otherwise ok.

Gave it away to my wife's family ......was sold by them,as scrap-metal, less than a year later for 200 bht.

Now a have a 400cc Sim ,bought it new 4 y ago, 9000 km ,always serviced , new tires ..and never got out my garage when it rained ......nobody gives more than 70 000 bht .

Second hand bike's are hard to sell here, unless you believe thai-visa stories,555

If I was you I would forget the repaint, why not just upgrade the plastics?

I upgraded the plastics on my son's MSX for about 5000Baht, complete with stickers / logos etc. The bike now looks like the model two years younger than it is and without the hassle of paint on top of worn / scratched plastics.

Try Niyom Panich, they can order everything you need - you will probably find it is even cheaper for that model of bike as well.

1 hour ago, Happy Grumpy said:

cheap as chips to refurbish it.

Take it in to a reputable dealer (if one exists), and get:

New piston and cylinder.

spark plug

oil filer and oil

air filter

brake pads and front rotor

chain and sprockets 

new tires (possibly source from somewhere else and get michelin or pirelli if possible)

New fork oil for the front forks.

Done. 

Plus the new panels .All that will cost close to B10,000 .I would upgrade to a s/h wave 125i ,costing around B20,000 to B25,000 .maybe a 4 year old one ,with less than 20,000 km . Such a bike will come with front disc brake ,greater under seat storage ,better lights ,electric start etc,