Britain 'prepares for war with North Korea' while 'new carrier could be rushed into service'

webfact

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

Managing a military coalition is always more difficult than just doing it yourself...just ask Ike.

Did he take Tina with him? 

16 hours ago, oldlakey said:

The Belgrano was never capable of being a threat it should have been in the knackers yard years before

It could be tracked from miles away by a modern nuclear powered submarine

It had put about and was returning back to Argentina

Hence the decision to sink it was political and not military

As an Englishman not one of our proudest moments

The outcome of the war was not in doubt

The loss of life was totally unnecessary and achieved nothing 

Just like being shot in the back in American wild west days!

17 hours ago, oldlakey said:

The Belgrano was never capable of being a threat it should have been in the knackers yard years before

It could be tracked from miles away by a modern nuclear powered submarine

It had put about and was returning back to Argentina

Hence the decision to sink it was political and not military

As an Englishman not one of our proudest moments

The outcome of the war was not in doubt

The loss of life was totally unnecessary and achieved nothing 

A good assessmant that I agree with.

Also worth noting that Independent journalists and reporters were not allowed to get their reports back unless they went through 'official' channels first.

I would be inclined to avoid your choice of words in Portsmouth.

Next time I'm in the town; I'll only talk footy.

2 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

A good assessmant that I agree with.

Also worth noting that Independent journalists and reporters were not allowed to get their reports back unless they went through 'official' channels first.

Next time I'm in the town; I'll only talk footy.

The Argies started a war, EVERYTHING was a UK target, who gives a stuff of what the Belgrano could do or not do...It was part of the Argie military.....Sink it..

18 hours ago, Thongkorn said:

How many do you think would fight for their adopted country, Look at those who are born in Britain , they support their parents home country, Like Cricket football and the rest.That says it all. Dont want to integrate , just accept free money , handouts and protection.

So you re ready to fight for Thailand ?

3 hours ago, transam said:

The Argies started a war, EVERYTHING was a UK target, who gives a stuff of what the Belgrano could do or not do...It was part of the Argie military.....Sink it..

You will be delighted to know that in The Churchill Bar at The British Club there are various arcane calls during a game of Spoof! Incorrect calls can result in a bottle of port fine! So be warned...

For example:

German Virgin = 9 (she says nein)

Belgrano = 5 (cinq) Germans may substitute Bismarck!

I'll spare you the rest!

6 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Just like being shot in the back in American wild west days!

B S

Of course the Belgrano was a threat to the British Task Force, exactly why the Argentines put it in arms way, it had a job to do.

Without using www if memory serves me right HMS Conqueror was in contact over 24hrs with her but coming upon shallows which could have compromised her presence (think it was called Burwood Bank or something like that) if the Sub plotted an avoidance course around the bank it may have lost contact with the Belgrano, so this was relayed to Whitehall.... What do we do? The order was approved by Maggie 'Sink the Belgrano' the rest is history

HMS conquer fired three Mk8 Torpedoes of which two found their target. As a WWII era US Cruiser her fate was by sealed by older MK8 Torpedoes, the sub had modern Tigerfish but these were not used (Mk8s being tried and tested)

On 10/9/2017 at 10:39 AM, anto said:

Yes Britain ,The US lap dog .

Funny, I don't recall any objections to the USA sending over supplies and military equipment  across the Atlantic to help Britain against the Nazis

1 hour ago, Lokie said:

Without using www if memory serves me right HMS Conqueror was in contact over 24hrs with her but coming upon shallows which could have compromised her presence (think it was called Burwood Bank or something like that) if the Sub plotted an avoidance course around the bank it may have lost contact with the Belgrano, so this was relayed to Whitehall.... What do we do? The order was approved by Maggie 'Sink the Belgrano' the rest is history

In the Falklands documentary it does make the point that a peace plan had been tabled by Peru and the Belgrano was returning to base. Mrs Thatcher would have nothing to do with any peace plan; consistently over-rulling her ministers and advisor. At the time of the sinking the Americans were trying to broker a deal in Argentina.

In later interveiws it was made clear on numerous occasions that the soldiers felt they were fighting a politician's war.

Edited by owl sees all

55 minutes ago, riclag said:

Funny, I don't recall any objections to the USA sending over supplies and military equipment  across the Atlantic to help Britain against the Nazis

Oh dear, off to bed now!

The USA sold us the equipment

Didn't join in until two and a half years later after Germany declared war on the USA

Thanks for the help though!

Good night all !?

19 hours ago, Golgota said:

I would fight for Thailand; as I was prepared to do for the UK, if Thailand gave me citizenship.

My reward by the way from the British? When I reported sexual abuse by my commanding officer when I was serving in the Royal Air Force, the MoD violated my priest-penitent privilege then punished me by removing me from Squadron detachments and posting me at short notice, to the farthest RAF Station - RAF Stanley.  

Thailand though has always investigated any complaints I've had about the authorities here most satisfactorily; unlike the UK and USA who have both demonstrated incredible ambivalence, malice, and obstruction of justice.

Edited by marginline

19 hours ago, Golgota said:

What Thailand are we talking about. Ch-o-ch says go! go! go fight the reds. I say no way. The people of Isaan defending thenselves against BKK imperialists; I say give me my hoe.

Edited by owl sees all

22 hours ago, riclag said:

21 hours ago, Grouse said:

Oh dear, off to bed now!

The USA sold us the equipment

Didn't join in until two and a half years later after Germany declared war on the USA

Thanks for the help though!

Good night all !?

Ever so slightly mealy-mouthed.

On 10/12/2017 at 7:39 PM, Lokie said:

B S

Of course the Belgrano was a threat to the British Task Force, exactly why the Argentines put it in arms way, it had a job to do.

HMS conquer fired three Mk8 Torpedoes of which two found their target. As a WWII era US Cruiser her fate was by sealed by older MK8 Torpedoes, the sub had modern Tigerfish but these were not used (Mk8s being tried and tested)

An obsolete WWll light cruiser a threat to a modern state of the art naval task force, really.   Your contention would be laughed out of a Kindergarten, never mind a court

58 minutes ago, oldlakey said:

An obsolete WWll light cruiser a threat to a modern state of the art naval task force, really

Your contention would be laughed out of a Kindergarten, never mind a court

Err, not my contention... Fact is that was the opinion of the British War Cabinet at the time and being laughed out of Kindergarten or a court never came into it. Now anything else you would like to add to the debate...?

1 hour ago, oldlakey said:

An obsolete WWll light cruiser a threat to a modern state of the art naval task force, really

Your contention would be laughed out of a Kindergarten, never mind a court

Really?

So if it had come across something like the Atlantic Conveyor, the Canberra or any unarmed merchant ship because it was an obsolete WW2 light cruiser it could ahve done them no harm.

Granted it had turned around and was headed back to Argentina, but what was stopping it turning around again and heading for the battle zone?

9 hours ago, Lokie said:

Err, not my contention... Fact is that was the opinion of the British War Cabinet at the time and being laughed out of Kindergarten or a court never came into it. Now anything else you would like to add to the debate...?

I believe I have dealt adequately with the  actual facts of this incident, as such I will leave it at that.  Thanks for the invitation anyway

8 hours ago, billd766 said:

Really?

So if it had come across something like the Atlantic Conveyor, the Canberra or any unarmed merchant ship because it was an obsolete WW2 light cruiser it could ahve done them no harm.

Granted it had turned around and was headed back to Argentina, but what was stopping it turning around again and heading for the battle zone?

I would suggest that you at least try and keep to the ACTUAL events that actually DID take place.  No ifs, maybes, could haves or might have been Good idea or what

50 minutes ago, oldlakey said:

I would suggest that you at least try and keep to the ACTUAL events that actually DID take place

No ifs, maybes, could haves or might have beens

Good idea or what

Ha ha ha, yet is ok for you to assume it was no threat? Tell us on what you base this assumption

Note having just checked info;

the Belgrano which at one point was on a Southwesterly course had changed and was heading South Easterly at time of order to fire being given from London (is what warships tend to do in times of conflict, change course regularly)

Edited by Lokie

8 hours ago, billd766 said:

Really?

Fink some here forgot it had a steering wheel and not a big white surrender flag  flying on the back.........:stoner:

13 minutes ago, Lokie said:

Note having just checked info;

the Belgrano which at one point was on a Southwesterly course had changed and was heading South Easterly at time of order to fire being given from London (is what warships tend to do in times of conflict, change course regularly)

This was Maggie's own personal war. She over-rulled her war-cabinet's wishes continually (read the minutes). She knew that a win in the war would give her credibility and a longer time in office.

Tony Blair was taking note!!