Do you plan to upgrade to Windows 10?

connda

Upgrading your computer's Operating System: Windows 10 or something else?  

86 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Connected to connda's OP, if anyone is interested in updating, the below link shows two methods of still being able to do so for free as long as you have an activated version of W7 or W8:

https://tech.thaivisa.com/still-2-ways-upgrade-windows-10-free/23594/ 

It should be noted that this works not only with legally activated copies of Win7 or Win8. It also works with copies of Win7 and Win8 that were cracked with KMSpico, and once upgraded as in the above link you will have a fully legal installation of Win10 that requires no further cracking.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Amazing how some people can't grasp the wisdom of this.

Amazing how some people don't understand that not everyone that uses a computer knows how it works or understands geekspeak.

I don't understand anything you wrote after the first line. Might as well be writing in Klingon for all that I know about computers.

I've said it before, but the computer companies that makes a computer as easy to use, and problem free as a DVD recorder will make gazillions from people like me.

NB I don't have to go out and buy a new DVD recorder every few years because the company that makes them isn't trying to make it not work any more like filth MS.

They have and they are.  It's called Android OS and it's on most smart phones with more computing capacity than was even imaginable a few years ago.  I can do almost anything anyone would want to do with a computer on a phone and teach the average 8 year old how to do it too.

They have and they are.  It's called Android OS and it's on most smart phones with more computing capacity than was even imaginable a few years ago.  I can do almost anything anyone would want to do with a computer on a phone and teach the average 8 year old how to do it too.

Yes, Android is very good.

20 yrs ago it might have been possible to claim that Microsoft had such a monopoly on operating systems that there was no practical choice but to use Windows. After all, Apple had almost disappeared by that point and Linux was not just lacking in user friendliness, it was overtly hostile to users. But now you've got Android devices, Macbooks, iOS devices, Windows, and Linux. If none of them work for you it's time to give up on technology, move into a cave, and subsist by killing fish with a stick.

7 minutes ago, suzannegoh said:

Yes, Android is very good.

20 yrs ago it might have been possible to claim that Microsoft had such a monopoly on operating systems that there was no practical choice but to use Windows. After all, Apple had almost disappeared by that point and Linux was not just lacking in user friendliness, if was overtly hostile to users. But now you've got Android devices, Macbooks, iOS devices, Windows, and Linux. If none of them work for you it's time to give up on technology, move into a cave, and subsist by killing fish with a stick.

It is very easy to hook a keyboard and HD large screen TV to an Android phone.  I can't think of anything I can't do with that that I can't do with my other computers.  I use Android and Ubunto and Win 10 just because I get bored easy.

It is very easy to hook a keyboard and HD large screen TV to an Android phone.  I can't think of anything I can't do with that that I can't do with my other computers.  I use Android and Ubunto and Win 10 just because I get bored easy.

Agreed, though I opted to buy a 2000 baht Android box from Lazada to connect to a big screen TV rather than using a tablet or smartphone.

2 minutes ago, suzannegoh said:

Agreed, though I opted to buy a 2000 baht Android box from Lazada to connect to a big screen TV rather than using a tablet or smartphone.

My graphics card Quadro 640 and the 8 Gig memory upgrade I already had in my spare parts bag so it was easy to make a box with Kodi and Netflix and Win 10 and Ubuntu and my Sony TV runs Android.  I can play steam games from my big or little computer and the Android games from Android TV.  The big TV is next to the kitchen so I use the voice search on Android for recipes and any cooking questions and timing. 

My graphics card Quadro 640 and the 8 Gig memory upgrade I already had in my spare parts bag so it was easy to make a box with Kodi and Netflix and Win 10 and Ubuntu and my Sony TV runs Android.  I can play steam games from my big or little computer and the Android games from Android TV.  The big TV is next to the kitchen so I use the voice search on Android for recipes and any cooking questions and timing. 

It sounds like you have enough computing power to choke a horse.

12 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

One of the greatest cons ever perpetrated on the public was MS being allowed to force us to abandon a perfectly satisfactory OS for what we want, because scum company MS wants to get rich.

On the 'net you'll find knowledgeable techies arguing that Win 10 is the best ever--mostly. In some ways such as in the matter of privacy it's the worst. You can probably find a guru in Chiang Mai who can fix up your Win 10 to look and act pretty much like Win 7. I also think you could get Win 7 installed; however I think 8.1, after you add Classic Shell and perhaps a third-party visual style, offers better performance than 7 w/o the all the crap introduced in 10.

Member BuaBS is happily running XP, which is doable. I run a stripped Win 7 on a netbook that hasn't been updated since Service Pack 2. If it works, and you exercise reasonable precautions, you can just keep that old OS.

M'soft can't force you to do anything. It mostly encourages and sometimes tries to force you (as with the recent mandatory update) but there are always workarounds. Some users have their updates turned off, for example--normally not recommended, however. If somebody can set up Linux on your machine for you (Zorin looks a lot like Windows), then that's probably a good option, 'cause you probably just use your machine for the basics.

Edited by JSixpack

With all this techno mish mash I'm surprised no one has not chipped in with why Microsoft took the dramatic Win 8++ route and where its future is heading. It was on the drawing board along with business subscription ideas before Win 7 released.

For fun :)-

Found pinned to a MS developers work station >
"When designing human interfaces please assume that 100% of your end users are lazy and fxxxxxx stupid"

For fun :)-

Found pinned to a MS developers work station >
"When designing human interfaces please assume that 100% of your end users are lazy and fxxxxxx stupid"

That might be crassly put but it's a good thing for developers to keep in mind that their software will not only be used by tech experts but also by the clueless. Design it such that the clueless can use it and it will work fine for the techies too. At a company that I previously worked for that wrote factory automaton software developers were told "this needs to work even on the 3rd shift in Bangkok".

1 hour ago, amvet said:

It's the new games.  They require a lot.  Not that I like to play them but marveling at the graphics is fun.

Ah. OK, head on over to

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/

See the latest & greatest battlestations here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/search?sort=new&restrict_sr=on&q=flair%3ABattlestation

From reading so many confused posts in various forums here I believe more of our members SHOULD play. Fact is,

If current trends continue and no action is taken, the number of people with dementia in the UK is forecast to increase to 1,142,677 by 2025 and 2,092,945 by 2051, an increase of 40% over the next 12 years and of 156% over the next 38 years.

Dementia UK: second edition, September 2014

But after all some aspects of age-related cognitive decline begin in healthy educated adults when they are in their 20s and 30s.

Good news is that video games are proven good for your brain. Yeah.

Even an old fart can play and should. In fact, Pattaya's kinda like a video game in some ways, innit? Sharpen your Beach Road crossing skills virtually.

59 here, retired and play games 2-3 hours everyday. My father is 83 and is finishing up FONV and playing Black Ops 111 single player. He is waiting for Fallout 4 to drop, then he will be busy for the rest of this year and next with mods. He has close to 500 hrs in FONV. He has over 200 games on steam.

acairman, 11-09-2015, 12:32, How many old farts here stil play pc games?

Cool grandmom: Grandmother Who Plays Skyrim Has Made Over 300 Videos.

Forum thread on getting started (with a console): Where to Start?

Edited by JSixpack

I think it should be mandatory to post your age before your grievance in threads like this because I am not a bill gates or any type of computer  genius and I managed to upgrade all my computers to W10 about 2 years and 9 months ago for free using the "insiders early edition" or whatever they called it.... 

Nearly 3 years on and not a single problem, how people can get so lost  is almost beyond me.... 

The instructions are in English, you click the upgrade button and it basically does it all automatically from there... 

I get the latest editions installed automatically every month or two in the middle of the night.... 

What's so hard about that? 

I think it should be mandatory to post your age before your grievance in threads like

I'm 97 and grumpy and my Sinclair hasn't needed an operating system upgrade since 1983. Dang wippersnappers with their new fangled windows, you can all go fly a kite.

7 hours ago, Techno Viking said:

air cooled GPU's ?

Why grab a pic from google ?

This is mine but the fans face to the bottom.  There are four fans in that area.  Above 32 GB RAM and to the right two hard drives one SSD.  The card runs cool as I have software that tells me that and assists with the overclocking.  It's a Dell workstation that I changed into a gaming computer. 

zotac card.jpg

pc1.jpg

Edited by amvet

I remember I owned an Amiga 500 , no internet just had a lot of fun playing the best games available in 1986 . Then a few years later I bought my first PC with 286 processor and a terrible graphics card , so I still played games on my Amiga .

Only good thing about the PC I could connect it to a telephone line and download files with 300 baud speed . Those were the times....

1 hour ago, suzannegoh said:

I'm 97 and grumpy and my Sinclair hasn't needed an operating system upgrade since 1983. Dang wippersnappers with their new fangled windows, you can all go fly a kite.

Did you use CompuServe or AOL to send this message and did you also use an acoustic coupler at 75Baud via your dial up modem?

On 10/13/2017 at 3:52 PM, JSixpack said:

Funny, I ran across this a week or so ago in /r/linuxmasterrace:

linuxpenis.png.2b7712dadfc916514c91492b1d46c463.png

Good point. I think what we got here is a case of the ol' choice-supportive bias:

In cognitive science, choice-supportive bias or post-purchase rationalization is the tendency to retroactively ascribe positive attributes to an option one has selected. It is a cognitive bias. For example, if a person chooses option A instead of option B, they are likely to ignore or downplay the faults of option A while amplifying those of option B. Conversely, they are also likely to notice and amplify the advantages of option A and not notice or de-emphasize those of option B.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choice-supportive_bias

The OP, by his own admission, "doesn't like change." But that just meant the progression of the Windows interface. Actually changing over to Linux from Windows is a much bigger change in most ways.

So, what probably happened—just reading between the lines here—was that the OP naively installed Win 8 (or bought a machine w/ it pre-installed) w/o preparing for the change and then opened the Start panel to find OMG! Tiles, Charms, Corners, Metro UX, Windows Store etc. The horror! The horror! The immediate consequence of that trauma must have been soiled knickers if not an adult diaper. But then it was followed by a PTSD that left the OP helpless even to Google properly and find Classic Shell and UXTheme Multi-Patcher to slay the monster and return the look back to a Win 7 or perhaps Win 98! I mean, everybody was talking about it and solutions were in place--just as third-party utilities have always arisen for Windows enhancement. Hence the abandonment of Windows; an obsession with the Windows interface; finding only out-of-date negative articles about the latest Windows; claims of widespread losses in productivity; and dark mutterings about the very future of Microsoft itself! Maybe like poor IBM—look what happened after it messed up the perfectly good Selectric.

"So, what probably happened—just reading between the lines here—was that the OP naively installed Win 8 (or bought a machine w/ it pre-installed) w/o preparing for the change and then opened the Start panel to find OMG!"

Bad assumption, and incorrect.  Understand, I run on older hardware. Cheap Charlie?  Guilty as charged. <laughs> Does that mean I can't afford jamming 36GB of RAM in my system or just buying a new system.  No.   And every system I buy gets reformatted and built from scratch.  But why don't I go to new hardware?   My Linux based systems run just fine on the hardware I have.  But when I choose to buy my next hardware, I'll no doubt run a copy of Windows 10 either dual booted or in a VM.   Given Moore's Law, I'd rather wait until I really need to buy new hardware. Way more bang for the buck (or baht)  That's just me.  Blame it on my Scottish roots <lol>

"The OP, by his own admission, "doesn't like change.""

Just a fact: The only constant in the universe is change!  So no, change just is and it's not something I avoid.  Unnecessary change?  That doesn't mean I personally go bleeding edge.  I don't see any reason unless there is a reason.  Others like bleeding edge because that is what trips their triggers.  I'm fine with that.  Personal choice my man. Personal choice.

However, Microsoft in my personal and professional opinion doesn't listen to their end-users.  I'm talking as a guy who worked as first and second tier support on a help desk in a 4000 employee company and prior to retirement, the manager of our Windows-based server infrastructure.  I don't come up with this out of thin air.  When you're in that position you have to understand that every major UI and underlying programmatic change that MS pushes to their end-user has to be addressed by the company who then has to retrain a lot of end-users, from secretaries, to management staff, to the scientist in the organization who are writing technical papers and compiling data in MS databases and Excel spreadsheets, to the system admins and support staff.  Do you have any idea how much money retraining costs a large organization who have embraced Microsoft as their primary productivity platform?  And who have thousands of employees?  Perhaps you do; perhaps you don't.   I do. Do you have similar credentials?  If you do, cool!  Then why is a problem to understand?
I've been in the project management teams that have had to roll these new MS products out to our employees and it's not small matter and it's damn expensive, and took significant time away from the primary mission of our organization.  Now I'm way beyond individual users.  Try to grasp that instead of seeing me as some Anti-Microsoft firebrand.  Microsoft is what I supported from the mid-1980s until I retired from my company.  Did you miss that particular fact?   Try reading what I'm saying instead of 'reading between the lines'.  Did I not say that at some point in time I'd probably buy and install Windows 10 out of expediency on my own system.  By golly I did!  

I'm discussing the product; you're making this personal. 
Now I'd like to know- why does posting a request for information from Windows users on Thai Visa in order to discuss the merits of a software product  lead you to engage in ad-hominem rhetoric instead of simply discussing the strengths and weakness of the product, in this case, Windows 10?  

All the technical information you provided is wonderful.  I want to know your position, and all other member's position on how they feel about Windows 10, but it ain't personal partner. Can you grasp that?   I won't reciprocate by making this issue about your personal preference in operating systems. I respect your position.  Try doing the same.  :biggrin:

So dude, not a problem.  You have provided quite a bit of really useful information and comments.  Sincerely, I do appreciate your input.  Probably other Windows 10 users too.  It's all good.  :thumbsup:   Again, thanks much along  with all other who provided comments!  

On 10/10/2017 at 4:20 PM, JaiMaai said:

I did do the free upgrade to W10 but reverted to W7.

W10 twice decided to update at the most inopportune times leaving me almost missing deadlines for my work.

I recently decided to give it another go only to find the the Windows store would totally refuse do download anything.

Not impressed at all.

Will probably have to upgrade eventually but no immediate plans to do so,

A machine in any shape, or form is only as good as the person who's using it.

You can set your time when the updates are being downloaded and you can choose when they should be installed. What['s your problem? 

1 hour ago, connda said:

"So, what probably happened—just reading between the lines here—was that the OP naively installed Win 8 (or bought a machine w/ it pre-installed) w/o preparing for the change and then opened the Start panel to find OMG!"

Bad assumption, and incorrect.  Understand, I run on older hardware. Cheap Charlie?  Guilty as charged. <laughs> Does that mean I can't afford jamming 36GB of RAM in my system or just buying a new system.  No.   And every system I buy gets reformatted and built from scratch.  But why don't I go to new hardware?   My Linux based systems run just fine on the hardware I have.  But when I choose to buy my next hardware, I'll no doubt run a copy of Windows 10 either dual booted or in a VM.   Given Moore's Law, I'd rather wait until I really need to buy new hardware. Way more bang for the buck (or baht)  That's just me.  Blame it on my Scottish roots <lol>

"The OP, by his own admission, "doesn't like change.""

Just a fact: The only constant in the universe is change!  So no, change just is and it's not something I avoid.  Unnecessary change?  That doesn't mean I personally go bleeding edge.  I don't see any reason unless there is a reason.  Others like bleeding edge because that is what trips their triggers.  I'm fine with that.  Personal choice my man. Personal choice.

However, Microsoft in my personal and professional opinion doesn't listen to their end-users.  I'm talking as a guy who worked as first and second tier support on a help desk in a 4000 employee company and prior to retirement, the manager of our Windows-based server infrastructure.  I don't come up with this out of thin air.  When you're in that position you have to understand that every major UI and underlying programmatic change that MS pushes to their end-user has to be addressed by the company who then has to retrain a lot of end-users, from secretaries, to management staff, to the scientist in the organization who are writing technical papers and compiling data in MS databases and Excel spreadsheets, to the system admins and support staff.  Do you have any idea how much money retraining costs a large organization who have embraced Microsoft as their primary productivity platform?  And who have thousands of employees?  Perhaps you do; perhaps you don't.   I do. Do you have similar credentials?  If you do, cool!  Then why is a problem to understand?
I've been in the project management teams that have had to roll these new MS products out to our employees and it's not small matter and it's damn expensive, and took significant time away from the primary mission of our organization.  Now I'm way beyond individual users.  Try to grasp that instead of seeing me as some Anti-Microsoft firebrand.  Microsoft is what I supported from the mid-1980s until I retired from my company.  Did you miss that particular fact?   Try reading what I'm saying instead of 'reading between the lines'.  Did I not say that at some point in time I'd probably buy and install Windows 10 out of expediency on my own system.  By golly I did!  

I'm discussing the product; you're making this personal. 
Now I'd like to know- why does posting a request for information from Windows users on Thai Visa in order to discuss the merits of a software product  lead you to engage in ad-hominem rhetoric instead of simply discussing the strengths and weakness of the product, in this case, Windows 10?  

All the technical information you provided is wonderful.  I want to know your position, and all other member's position on how they feel about Windows 10, but it ain't personal partner. Can you grasp that?   I won't reciprocate by making this issue about your personal preference in operating systems. I respect your position.  Try doing the same.  :biggrin:

So dude, not a problem.  You have provided quite a bit of really useful information and comments.  Sincerely, I do appreciate your input.  Probably other Windows 10 users too.  It's all good.  :thumbsup:   Again, thanks much along  with all other who provided comments!  

It makes perfect sense for a large organization to be cautious about rolling out a new O/S.  If you have thousands of users any problem that can happen will happen.  The tech company that I was working for stuck with XP for the longest time one account of that and skipped some versions of Windows and MS Office.

It’s a different matter for an individual though and depends a lot upon how inclined the person is to muck around with their computers.  I installed Win10 initially on a less important PC (I have several) not because I was having any significant problems with Win8.1 but to learn about Win10.  It went much more smoothly than any Windows upgrade that I did before and almost immediately I was comfortable with Win10's look & feel,  so I eventually wound up putting it on all of my machines.  But that doesn’t necessarily mean that I would advise an elderly person or a dance major to upgrade to Win10 – unless they were having chronic problems that Win10 was known to solve I would probably just leave well enough alone.

Edited by suzannegoh

15 hours ago, jenny2017 said:

A machine in any shape, or form is only as good as the person who's using it.

You can set your time when the updates are being downloaded and you can choose when they should be installed. What['s your problem? 

Doesn't help much when your machine is powered off overnight and then takes several hours to complete the updates it installed in the background before it was shutdown.

What's can a clearly expert IT guru like you clearly recommend to resolve that?

14 hours ago, suzannegoh said:

It makes perfect sense for a large organization to be cautious about rolling out a new O/S.  If you have thousands of users any problem that can happen will happen.  The tech company that I was working for stuck with XP for the longest time one account of that and skipped some versions of Windows and MS Office.

It’s a different matter for an individual though and depends a lot upon how inclined the person is to muck around with their computers.  I installed Win10 initially on a less important PC (I have several) not because I was having any significant problems with Win8.1 but to learn about Win10.  It went much more smoothly than any Windows upgrade that I did before and almost immediately I was comfortable with Win10's look & feel,  so I eventually wound up putting it on all of my machines.  But that doesn’t necessarily mean that I would advise an elderly person or a dance major to upgrade to Win10 – unless they were having chronic problems that Win10 was known to solve I would probably just leave well enough alone.

Gosh I'm an elderly person.  I think Win 10 is elder friendly.  I've also learned a couple of things on this thread.  The Classic Shell is a good example.  I tried the Directory Opus and I'm totally confused by it.  I can't figure out how to do something simple like search for duplicate files.  

I sometimes wonder if people who call companies names are just here to complain.  I don't call people or corporations or politicians degrading names and find people that do are not tolerable for me to communicate with.  A couple questions have been answered on this thread and there are alternatives to Microsoft (there are even Android PC's available now) but I doubt if those will be acknowledged.  I've used Ubuntu for 4 years and feel Win 10 is easier to use, it's not like I haven't tried other things.

14 minutes ago, JaiMaai said:

Doesn't help much when your machine is powered off overnight and then takes several hours to complete the updates it installed in the background before it was shutdown.

What's can a clearly expert IT guru like you clearly recommend to resolve that?

Why power your machine off?  It doesn't use any more energy to leave it on.

Edited by amvet