Phuket Opinion: Getting the Phuket lifeguard crisis dead wrong

webfact

Phuket Opinion: Getting the Phuket lifeguard crisis dead wrong

The Phuket News

1507526223_1-org.jpg

A trained Phuket lifeguard watches over swimmers during the dangerous southwest monsoon. Photo: Tanyaluk Sakoot

PHUKET: Now that the inevitable has started to occur and the drownings without professional lifeguards on Phuket’s beaches have started, it is time for the Phuket Provincial Administration Organisation (PPAO, or OrBorJor) to quit posturing and get down to business. The game is over. It is time to throw in the towel on managing Phuket’s lifeguard situation, and let the municipalities take over.

The latest plan announced by PPAO Acting Chief Watcharin Patomwatthanapong for the Navy to train municipal officers sometime in the future is unworkable and dangerous. 

In its haste to assert itself over Phuket’s lifeguard crisis, the PPAO has totally missed the point. Their position is that Phuket Lifeguard Services Co Ltd, was no longer managing the service well and that a replacement agency is needed.

Full story:  https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-opinion-getting-the-phuket-lifeguard-crisis-dead-wrong-64235.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-10-09

On 10/9/2017 at 2:42 PM, quadperfect said:

Like i said a few days before they started this stuff.

Fools. 

People are dying cause the fool has no idea.

But then this is typical .

Just another day.

errr no people are dying because they are fools. The lack of lifeguards is no excuse.....

Nice Thai bash 2/10

14 hours ago, Lucky mike said:

Probably need something like SLSA and training coupled to uniform accreditation ?  The qualified beach inspectors then need to be paid what they are worth !

Pay them the same as in Australia...sweet FA....they are volunterrs..as I was

15 hours ago, tryasimight said:

Perhaps, but all the people in my club were volunteers.

Same as in my club but volunteers are generally only available to work weekends considering they have other paying jobs needed to support their families. So, during the summer school holidays there was a paid lifeguard there on weekdays. I did it for 3 consecutive years plus still did volunteer work on the weekends. Surf lifesaving clubs also have competitions both within the club, interclub, regional & national championships which all added to the allure of being a clubbie.