Annoying Soi Dogs

New007

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel for you and we have discussed it 100s times. They are a complete MENACE and reflect Thai irresponsibility aptly.  Good luck with finding a way but most suggestions involve meat laced with cyanide. If you find a better solution please do let us know but Thais are oblivious to the thought they might disturb others.

Our area has a government truck that comes by and shoots darts at the dogs and then takes them away.  I've seen them in operation several times.  Maybe somebody you know who speaks Thai, and isn't too shy, can go to your local government office and see if you've got that same service?  Perhaps even, just ask the local police?  Worth paying them a bit if they can deal with the problem.  I think we pay 2,000B or so.

Dogs howling at night. I rather like it. 

But I get that you don't. And that's ok.

Something must be don't to get these animals fixed.

Perhaps you could contact one of the many rescue groups for guidance.

Surely they'll have some suggestions. 

GL

7 minutes ago, chrisinth said:

What do you think happens to the dogs that are darted?

Not 100% sure.  Some are taken to a temple.  I know that for sure.  It's really hard to euthanize a dog here.  Really hard.  Sadly.  But when done, it's with an injection and the dog just goes to sleep.  I've had to put a few dogs down when I lived back home.  No fun, but necessary.

Tessaban are responsible for dogs that have no owners. As you can imagine, it is quite difficult to determine which dogs have owners and which do not (due to people letting their dogs roam all day/night). 

Tessaban will most likely not do anything unless the dog causes harm to anyone, or poses a health risk (rabies). They are big on the rabies as it is their responsibility to vaccinate these dogs against rabies. 

The Amphoe (district office), sometimes will be more inclined to help as an aspect of the office is services to the community. It is why you hear the Amphoe Chief get involved sometimes on the dog attacks that make the news. 

A lot depends on where you live, as different areas have slightly different laws. But if it is just for barking, then I don't like your chances. 

16 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

Not 100% sure.  Some are taken to a temple.  I know that for sure.  It's really hard to euthanize a dog here.  Really hard.  Sadly.  But when done, it's with an injection and the dog just goes to sleep.  I've had to put a few dogs down when I lived back home.  No fun, but necessary.

When we had the dog catchers up here in Phitsanulok, I think they were Burmese but hired by the municipality. Once a dog was darted, that was it, straight to the rainbow bridge or whatever you call it when a dog dies.

It is mostly wishful thinking that the animals will just be spayed/neutered and looked after by some self-funded animal welfare organization, but the reality is that these organizations are rare here and looking after animals, even at the most basic level is expensive.

I am not sure if they still do this here, the last time I saw it done was about 7 - 8 years ago and we have since moved from that particular area.

Edit: Just in addition to the above, the guideline to determine a soi dog at that time was if it was wearing a collar or not. If it was wearing a collar, it was classed as somebodies animal. I remember the leaflets that were passed around.

Edited by chrisinth

1 hour ago, lucjoker said:

You are living in Thailand ,

get out if you dont like.........this is the sad truth 

Yes, always run for problems and never face them. Thats what a real men/women would do

/sarcasm

I teach my kids to stand up for themselves, and they seem more men at age 9 months than you.

I have more of a problem with dogs that have owners and left in confined yards with no exercise that constantly howl day and night. They buy a cute puppy and once it is a full grown dog their not bothered with it anymore. Thai's are oblivious to barking dogs, roosters crowing, loud music etc, they just don't hear it.

Edited by steve C

Friend of mine who was feeling menaced by stray dogs in his Bangkok soi just waved B2000 in front of the local moto-taxi rank and told them it was their's if the dogs disappeared.

The dogs were quickly gone and the moto-dops had an all night party.

No Legal way to shut them up.  That said, you could also waste your time going to the Amphur or whatever the head honcho is called in your area and complain.  That will get you nowhere.  

Edited by TunnelRat69
Today is my sensitive side day - deleted a sentence advocating violence.

1 minute ago, bazza73 said:

I understand there are ultrasound frequencies. inaudible to the human ear, but most unpleasant for dogs. AFAIK, it would be legal to have a broadcast device.

I've used this in the past and it worked great.  Took a bit of time, but eventually, no barking dogs.

1 minute ago, bazza73 said:

I understand there are ultrasound frequencies. inaudible to the human ear, but most unpleasant for dogs. AFAIK, it would be legal to have a broadcast device.

DAZER II  but does anyone know of a way to amplify it??  Because you need to be less than 10  yards from the animal for it to be effective..........I have one and it works on dogs close to me.