Annoying Soi Dogs

New007

I asked about such a case. Legally, if Tessaban consider it a nuisance, they can remove the dogs if they are soi, actually even if they are owned the dogs then fall into their responsibility as it moves into nuisance law. However, I doubt many officers will care about a pretty standard issue. What you can do, is get signatures to make them care so to speak. So if everyone in the immediate area is sick of it as well and all sign, it will force the Tessaban to act (as the Mayor doesn't want to potentially lose all those votes). 

Although, whereas in the past the dog was sent to a vet and put to sleep, some do gooders forced the laws to be changed. So now many Tessabans sack the dog and dump it in another Tessaban creating further issues re population control. 

Edited by wildewillie89

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

Any info?  I'd love to get one but would it keep my cats away as well?

Not sure about that.  We had barking dogs next door and it kept them away and on the other side of our neighbor's house!  Perfect.  I got it back home.  But I'm sure you can find them here now.

3 hours ago, Thaimike370 said:

Exlax, not for you, for the dogs.  Even the dog owners will get rid of the dogs.

The Chocolate flavored kind, they love it,  Murine eye drops on some meat works as well.  They will crap stinky water for a week  -  so I was told by an US Army Vet.:sorry:  I hate dog owners that don't take care of their dogs, and tach them when to bark and not to bark..

Edited by TunnelRat69

6 hours ago, mamypoko said:

Dogs howling at night. I rather like it. 

But I get that you don't. And that's ok.

Something must be don't to get these animals fixed.

Perhaps you could contact one of the many rescue groups for guidance.

Surely they'll have some suggestions. 

GL

Not sure what you mean when you say something must be do not to get these animals fixed.  

3 hours ago, janpharma said:

Look around and try to contact "Thailand dog shelter"...they are concerned.

First on the list is Soi Dog Foundation and they are not interested in healthy soi dogs...

https://www.soidog.org/content/contact-us

"We would therefore ask that you only call our shelter about animals that need to be spayed or neutered, or those that require medical attention".

7 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

Our area has a government truck that comes by and shoots darts at the dogs and then takes them away.  

Any chance they'll 'look after'  crowing cockerels and those numb nuts who rev their motorbikes for 5 constant minutes for no apparent reason 

1 minute ago, craigt3365 said:

You obviously didn't read my post where I said I know of dogs being taken out of several different areas.  Done by government workers in a government truck.

What areas are these done by government trucks? I was under the impression that was made illegal. If that is the case the truck is working illegally (not a stretch of the imagination), however, will most likely not help the OP.

3 minutes ago, wildewillie89 said:

What areas are these done by government trucks? I was under the impression that was made illegal. If that is the case the truck is working illegally (not a stretch of the imagination), however, will most likely not help the OP.

It was a proper dog catcher's truck.  Cages along the side.  2 guys darting the animals.  Thai government writing on the side.  Sorry, don't read Thai.  But it was in NaJomtien.  My friend had help with the dog problems where he lives in Pratumnak also.

1 hour ago, craigt3365 said:

It was a proper dog catcher's truck.  Cages along the side.  2 guys darting the animals.  Thai government writing on the side.  Sorry, don't read Thai.  But it was in NaJomtien.  My friend had help with the dog problems where he lives in Pratumnak also.

Never heard of it but good news but probably just sticks to tourist areas

1 hour ago, craigt3365 said:

I would still be of the opinion they are doing it illegally but the police just turn a blind eye to it. 

On 11/10/2017 at 11:44 AM, craigt3365 said:

What's illegal about it?

It is much harder to get rid of dogs in the last few years as they toughened up all the laws. The Mrs new portfolio deals with these things, amongst many other things, so she has to go to the relevant department conferences each year and those sorts of methods are illegal. 

Actually, they have tightened the law so much that really all officials can do is put problem dogs in sacks and give them to another area and hope they don't make their way back (unless a health risk). Which is also illegal but easier to hide. Some animal do gooders successfully campaigned a while back to stop the trucks and other means - not thinking about future ramifications.

Edited by wildewillie89

I think cruelty to animals is abhorrent.

If you really want to make a difference, then you need to be pro-active.

Listen carefully, Dogs are very territorial and these Soi Dogs are more so than your average pooch. You need to capture a dog without causing distress to the animal. So no chasing it around the estate with a lead in your hand and a stick in the other.

Once the animal has been capture please take it to the vet and get it up to date with its jabs and have it either neutered or spayed, this will ensure the sire line dies with that animal.

If the animals can't reproduce then they will simply grow old and die off. End of problem and you have helped make the world a better place.

Repeat until there are no more strays in the area.

1 hour ago, autanic said:

I think cruelty to animals is abhorrent.

If you really want to make a difference, then you need to be pro-active.

Listen carefully, Dogs are very territorial and these Soi Dogs are more so than your average pooch. You need to capture a dog without causing distress to the animal. So no chasing it around the estate with a lead in your hand and a stick in the other.

Once the animal has been capture please take it to the vet and get it up to date with its jabs and have it either neutered or spayed, this will ensure the sire line dies with that animal.

If the animals can't reproduce then they will simply grow old and die off. End of problem and you have helped make the world a better place.

Repeat until there are no more strays in the area.

While that sounds great and all that I don't think anyone wants to wait 5 to 10 years for the dogs to pass on.  

I have been fortunate where I live that owners fence their dogs. However they do bark.  People's behavior here with dogs and cats is same as in the  states.  Many get a puppy and when older ignore it. So it sits in the  yard and barks all the time.  In my time here I find most feral soi dogs are not an issue.  Sure they roam and crap/piss everywhere but they don't bark much.  It's usually the pets of owners that are the problem.

13 minutes ago, JAFO said:

In my time here I find most feral soi dogs are not an issue.  Sure they roam and crap/piss everywhere but they don't bark much.  It's usually the pets of owners that are the problem.

The many who've been bitten and attacked by soi dogs might argue with you on this one.

I love animals but feral soi dogs are a 'pest' along with pigeons, rats and cockroaches. They carry tics, fleas and all sorts of disease and they have a poor 'standard of living'. The obvious thing is to catch, neuter and if cannot be re-homed...euthanise. Dog feels nothing just goes to sleep - thank God for Nembutal (the peaceful pill). 

All of this could be avoided if Thais (mostly) had responsibility for their dogs and really believed in 'karma' as it is THEIR actions which have led to this epidemic of soi muts.

Can't see it changing and what is one to do if confronted by pack of territorial dogs? 

What pees me orf more is the old Thai ladies who feed these muts as some sort of 'kindness' when, in fact, they contribute greatly to the problem.