Drink laws?

ryanhull

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, chuang said:

The OP refused a test....and you claim police framing innocent people....you are a joke...:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

So you are saying the op, post #12 and post #17 are all lying? I don't know who is the bigger joke. It wouldn't be the first time police framed people.

Edit: And the op ONLY refused because he had been framed before. Why don't you believe him?

Edited by wump

1 hour ago, wump said:

"Drink driving"... give the guy a break. He says he had two small Leos and this would put him nowhere near the limit.

Nope! There is only one sure way don't drink alcoholic beverages if you intend to drive!

15 minutes ago, wump said:

What kind of reasoning is this? I have to accept all the bad and can't voice my opinion? You think it's cool people get charged with crimes they didn't commit? Your smart comments will stop once you innocently piss-test positive and have the choice between 1 month in jail or 200,000 in cash.

Doubtful,,, as keyboard, "warriors" such as this RARELY leave the safety of home, or instant access to their computer just in case, "Someone is wrong on the internet"... They send the wife out for all necessary supplies,, 555

1 minute ago, Techno Viking said:

what is 50,000 ?

Baht pay-your-way-out-of-jail for Thais pissing positive. I didn't quote you because I answered directly but another poster was quicker than me. But this is getting a bit off-topic anyway.

1 hour ago, Techno Viking said:

The refusing a breath test is considered an admission of guilt, hence he is locked up awaiting court.

Your guilty anyway with their corrupt machines.  know of a couple of people who don't even drink that have blown into their so called breathalyzer and told without showing them any reading that they are drunk. Say what you like but Thai law to foreigners is nothing less than a scam

Just now, steve C said:

Your guilty anyway with their corrupt machines.  know of a couple of people who don't even drink that have blown into their so called breathalyzer and told without showing them any reading that they are drunk. Say what you like but Thai law to foreigners is nothing less than a scam

interesting, ive been stopped numerous times and then sent on my way after blowing zero.

6 minutes ago, Adeeos said:

Doubtful,,, as keyboard, "warriors" such as this RARELY leave the safety of home, or instant access to their computer just in case, "Someone is wrong on the internet"... They send the wife out for all necessary supplies,, 555

So TRUE

interesting, ive been stopped numerous times and then sent on my way after blowing zero.

Even if the scam only happens in 1% of cases this is still too much. You shouldn't knowingly be charged with a crime when you are clearly innocent. Period.

4 minutes ago, Techno Viking said:

Now that you're so sure you won't be charged: What about gum containing Sorbitol (a type of sugar 'alcohol'), an artificial sweetener used in most gums? Even though it won't make you drunk at all the machine will show a positive rating (due to 'alcohol breath') and what will you do then? Request a blood test? :smile:

Ignoring the comments which seem a little unbalanced and paranoid it would seem that a couple of guys have faced attempted scams by the BiB. 

It's a concern, my Wife has also been stopped, blown in the *Wand which has registered a Zero. 

*The Wand is an initial device which is relatively uncalibrated and merely measures the presence of alcohol and simply gives a Positive or Negative result. If Positive a followup test is carried out with a machine which is (supposedly) calibrated. 

I am not personally aware of anyone who has been accused of DUI without having had imbibed alcohol. 

This is all academic - If play tough with the BiB and do not have sufficient 'back-up' you are going to get shafted, its that simple... Ego against Ego, you will loose unless you know someone more powerful & connected than the guys pulling you over.

The simplest solution is to play nice play along, the BiB are not total aholes, but they definitely will become so if you choose to go head to head. 

If you are requested to 'Blow' in to the Wand or in to a conventional Breathalyzer and you are convinced the readout is incorrect, be polite, request the test again, perhaps request with a different machine. Explain that you have not drank at all.

If on the other hand you have had a drink you are going to get shafted. You can't gamble with whether or not you'll pass... "Oh, but I only had one Glass Officer" is the oldest BS line in the book of DUI excuses.

OP: Unfortunately you made your bed when refusing the take the test which is an automatic indication of guilt. 

2 minutes ago, wump said:

Now that you're so sure you won't be charged: What about gum containing Sorbitol (a type of sugar 'alcohol'), an artificial sweetener used in most gums? Even though it won't make you drunk at all the machine will show a positive rating (due to 'alcohol breath') and what will you do then? Request a blood test? :smile:

Pretty sure the chances of that happening to me is zero due to not liking gum, much like I do not drive even after one solitary beer or within 12 hours after having a few.

7 minutes ago, exemplary21 said:

Of  course they did...

...he was using a cell phone...

I kept my cell phone, and cigs while being held,, is how I called my girlfriend, and a buddy to come get me,,, Everyone else in the cell had them also,,,,

5 minutes ago, wump said:

Is this for real? along with the 'I just used mouthwash' excuse?.... 

I think false positives while extremely rare, could exist. More realistically people will lie through their backside that they haven't had a drink (or just the one) if caught... 

Either way - If having provided a positive breathalyzer result a blood test confirming the result should be mandatory. Of course, people will then object to having a needle used on them, the excuses and reasons not to participate will continue.

6 minutes ago, wump said:

That's my point. Nothing is sure if you read post #12 and #17.

Well, I have to admit I hadn't read your post #12 but for some reason unable to read post #17 (glitch of some sort).There's a moral there somewhere and I am not going to say you were unlucky. Obviously what happened to you was criminal and something anyone of us could suffer at any time. I sympathize.

Perhaps expats when driving or riding their bikes here (or specifically BKK) should invest in a personal breathalyzer. Something I'll think about as I am TT.

3 minutes ago, Adeeos said:

I kept my cell phone, and cigs while being held,, is how I called my girlfriend, and a buddy to come get me,,, Everyone else in the cell had them also,,,,

Of course they let everyone keep their phone when locked up... How else would they contact their friends etc to come and pay their way out of trouble... its a nice earner - modus operandi.

1 minute ago, TKDfella said:

Well, I have to admit I hadn't read your post #12 but for some reason unable to read post #17 (glitch of some sort).There's a moral there somewhere and I am not going to say you were unlucky. Obviously what happened to you was criminal and something anyone of us could suffer at any time. I sympathize.

Perhaps expats when driving or riding their bikes here (or specifically BKK) should invest in a personal breathalyzer. Something I'll think about as I am TT.

#12 isn't me. I was just pointing out that more than 1 person confirmed the tests sometimes being rigged.

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Is this for real? along with the 'I just used mouthwash' excuse?.... 

I think false positives while extremely rare, could exist. More realistically people will lie through their backside that they haven't had a drink (or just the one) if caught... 

It will give SOME reading so the drink-no-drink thingie will be positive. If there is no proper test afterwards you are in a pretty bad position.

I enjoy watching these TV shows set here in Australia which follow the traffic police and the drivers they have to deal with.  There is a commonality amongst so many people done in Australia for drunk driving....they almost all say, "I had just a couple of beers, officer.".....and invariably they are way over the limit.  Australia and Thailand same same it seems.

6 minutes ago, wump said:

#12 isn't me. I was just pointing out that more than 1 person confirmed the tests sometimes being rigged.

My apologies. I've just rebooted my internet connection as I couldn't see poster ID either. Yep, understood.