Can a person refuse to give me a Receipt ? and what can I do to get one ?

easybullet3

i have a small business (registered in Thailand under my name).

I rent a space which I use as my working place.

I have asked the Landlord to give me Receipts of my rent (for my tax purposes)..

The Landlord is not registered for VAT,  and I assume they are not declaring this income,

However, I would like to have receipts for my personal tax purposes.

I have now moved to a new place... and I am asking him for receipts for the time that I rented the space from them.

He is refusing to give me any receipts.

He said it was not mentioned in the rental agreement, so he doesn't need to.

I assume he wants to avoid declaring income to the Revenue Department.

is he allowed to refuse to give me a receipt ?

What can I do to get one ?

PS:

a friend of mine told me that he can get a large fine if the Revenue Department finds out that he didn't declare revenue.

- is this correct ?  (or is it unlikely) ?

Thank you

3 hours ago, easybullet3 said:

PS:

a friend of mine told me that he can get a large fine if the Revenue Department finds out that he didn't declare revenue.

- is this correct ?  (or is it unlikely) ?

I would be very cautious if considering this approach.  You want your name to remain fantasy.  

if you dont get receipts for rent paid-you may even have a greater problem in the future, when this corrupt landlord claims that you have NOT paid the rent..yes,bank transfers should cover you in the meantime--dont pay unless he gives a receipt...

2 hours ago, yankee99 said:

you will need a lot more then a receipt to use rental as a deduction in Thailand.

The opposite of this is more likely.

That is, show the inspecting RD official your rental agreement and they'll probably let you deduct a reasonable amount without any receipts at all.

Majority of the home owners do not declare their rental property as income as the homes are usually in their private name. If they do declare, most would want a high rental rate to cover their loss as they need to pay additional taxes. Yes they can refuse because you didn't tell them ahead of time.

Yes they could be fined by the revenue department if reported but unlikely revenue officer will even follow up as these individual home owners are small fish. I've known home owners who received letters for them to report in and confirm that their property is being rented out. But laws here are not strict, majority home owners just ignore the letter, if you respond they will always collect from you knowing you property is rental income.

you might think revenue 

16 minutes ago, exemplary21 said:

The opposite of this is more likely.

That is, show the inspecting RD official your rental agreement and they'll probably let you deduct a reasonable amount without any receipts at all.

you might think revenue works that way but they dont.  He should be filing a form monthly doing witholding tax. He'll need copies of the land ownership papers and owners id.

7 minutes ago, yankee99 said:

you might think revenue 

you might think revenue works that way but they dont.  He should be filing a form monthly doing witholding tax. He'll need copies of the land ownership papers and owners id.

Maybe, maybe not.

My point is that the receipts are largely irrelevant. If, for example, you showed receipts for 20,000 baht per month on premises with a market value of 10,000, they'll allow you only the 10,000.

sorry but the accountant did not tell you before?
at this point, prepared to pay a fine from the tax office, they will make a check for a regular company having a registered address, renting or ownership and you have not submitted a rental statement with address.
avoid threatening or denouncing who rented you the place, it goes to your health, at least mental.
To avoid problems, make arrangements with him, you will issue regular receipts for the entire period and you will pay the fees due. If you change the place you make arrangements in advance, if you do not find anyone who wants to make the receipts, do as above.

7 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

I would be very cautious if considering this approach.  You want your name to remain fantasy.  

this is the only comment that I didnt understand.

"you want your name to remain fantasy"   could you please explain what you mean. 

Thank you

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/10/2017 at 4:43 AM, yankee99 said:

On 10/10/2017 at 4:53 AM, exemplary21 said:

Maybe, maybe not.

My point is that the receipts are largely irrelevant.

On 10/10/2017 at 5:58 AM, gaviolit said:

sorry but the accountant did not tell you before?
avoid threatening or denouncing who rented you the place, it goes to your health, at least mental.

Someone mentioned to me that if the Landlord doesn't give me a receipt, then I can make a 'voucher' receipt. 

I would do this by printing a copy the landlords Thai ID Card onto a piece of paper and writing a receipt for the rent, and I also write my own details. 

I sign it and I send it to the landlord for him to sign.

and this will be a valid receipt ?

has anyone heard of such a method in Thailand before ?

(i do have a scanned copy of the Landlords Thai ID card from when i needed to change my Internet Plan).

So, if this method is indeed valid, then I have the tools and means to do it.

Thanks,

Archived