Operators preparing for the storm as Pattaya smoking ban approaches

webfact

4 hours ago, mark131v said:

I am an ex smoker but I truly struggle to get my head around the hatred some ex smokers have for smokers, firkin bizarre unless your just bitter and twisted with life in general..... 

When ex smoker thinks back how much money they had wasted, how their health suffered, how stupid they had been they became crazy, they just don't want to see a reflection of themselves in smokers.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

Will they use the fine money to buy tractors and sand rakes and clean all the beaches every morning/evening (depending on the tide)?

Will they spend it on updating all the sewage processing plants at these beaches?

Will they hell...

:guitar:

Disappointment comes to those who lives in their imagination. What have you been smoking? Tractors? Sand rakes? Clean the beaches every morning?

I live within the confines of Thai mentality to avoid any disappointment. You should do likewise.

Communism disappeared only after everybody believed it didn't work, that's why it took so long. The same would happen in LOS, after every Thai believe they need to do something then they will change so that would take a long time, until every Thai believe, imagine how long that would take.

Smoking is a disgusting habit and should be banned on a  public beach.  I also have a disgusting habit and if I were to indulge in it on a public beach I would certainly be arrested and fined  !!!

Just refuse to pay, tell them "take me to jail".

The paddy wagons would be full, jails full, and who would guard these hardened criminals who came here to spend their money and enjoy their night out  with out constantly looking over their shoulders wondering if "they did something wrong"

This works as they don't want to loose their place at the Trough.

If enough refuse to pay, watch the shit hit the fan.

The reality (to me) is that this is just another money making exercise under the guise of enviromental protection. Thai authorities do very little to clean up other forms of pollution/hazardous waste anywhere, why the sudden focus on cigarette butts? :whistling:  Cigarette butts are just another part of pollution.

Money is 'God' still, in the Kingdom and the coin is made round to go round but always in an upward direction.

18 minutes ago, Humpy said:

Smoking is a disgusting habit and should be banned on a  public beach.  I also have a disgusting habit and if I were to indulge in it on a public beach I would certainly be arrested and fined  !!!

Some friends of mine (non smokers) said, many years ago to or about smokers, "Why should we put up with the residual, in public, of your 'habit/enjoyment' because we enjoy having a wine and a pee, would you put up with that if we sprayed it all over you?" Can't knock it, they have a point there!

We'll see if it even gets enforced, you know ... like how illegal prostitution is enforced.  That being said, smokers are generally a nuisance, and if smoking in public places where it's banned, should get a hefty fine.   Good luck to all involved. :saai:

4 hours ago, madusa said:

When ex smoker thinks back how much money they had wasted, how their health suffered, how stupid they had been they became crazy, they just don't want to see a reflection of themselves in smokers.

No...it's jealousy...it's like old spinster outraged because of

two young people kissing on the street.

19 hours ago, gwynt said:

Why dont theyjust put  signs at swampy tell tourists of all the restrictions, smoking,  drinking etc and recomend that they just get a flight to Cambodia/Vietnam as they are not really wanted here other than to charge and fine.?

forget not; ask them to leave their wallets behind

What will happen is this: People are sitting on the beach and would like to smoke; they go off the beach and have their portion of nicotine along the beach road. 

Thousands of filters will pile up there waiting for the next flood to wash them over the beach. 

On 11/10/2017 at 9:50 AM, NCC1701A said:

Can you imagine after your long flight and the first morning on the beach, not knowing anything about this new law, you relax and light up and get fined $3000 USD?

Has it ever happened Thailand? Ever? It does not work like that here.  You refer to imagination. I think you have never been here.

43 minutes ago, YetAnother said:

forget not; ask them to leave their wallets behind

90% of people do not smoke. The Thai authorities have the right idea and it can work. By keeping smokers out of certain areas it cuts down on the great, unwashed of the third world. For various ciltural reasons The Thais approve of these rules too and are rarely seen smoking..apart from the lowest  classes but by definition that is the same in Farangland.

16 hours ago, wakeupplease said:

Will we see big signs saying no smoking or E Cigs

No just anther rip of for tourists in fines, 5 years time the place will be empty if these stupid laws goes on.

Disagree, as I doubt they will do anything against Chinese smokers, and they would be the biggest culprits.

Only farangs would be seen as having the readies to pay the fines, and I doubt they want hundreds/ thousands of Chinese in Thai jails for years. They know farangs will pay to avoid jail.

This may have been promoted as an environmental issue, but I doubt the people standing to benefit care an iota about clean beaches. I'm sure they could have done something about littering already, if they cared, but they don't, IMO.

12 hours ago, mark131v said:

I am an ex smoker but I truly struggle to get my head around the hatred some ex smokers have for smokers, firkin bizarre unless your just bitter and twisted with life in general..... 

I've never smoked, but having to pick up smoker's butts while doing emus certainly made me despise those that do drop their butts for others to pick up.

I'd like every person that smokes to get a 2,000 baht fine for every butt they drop, as long as it was genuine littering and not a scam.

6 hours ago, marqus12 said:

No...it's jealousy...it's like old spinster outraged because of

two young people kissing on the street.

No it is'nt.

I smoked for 40 years, had a stroke, and was hospitalised.

I kept telling myself.....I will just carry on when I am well again.......

Every time I tried to smoke one my whole left side shut down.

That was 8 years ago.

I had no choice but to quit, and will pay for daily medication for the rest of my life.

I consider myself lucky to have had this warning.

I have lost friends and family, suffering terrible pain from this horrible addiction.

Believe me it is not jealousy....

I just do not enjoy seeing the life of humans ended in pain and misery for themselves and loved ones...

21 hours ago, Just Weird said:

No, he can't, that's an offence also.

Lol... that it is an offense, isn't in question.... and it being an offense, does not mean it will be a problem.

you may not have noticed, but littering in Thailand is out of control... and it should be heavily policed with fines applied accordingly, but it is not

These outrageous fines, directed at foreigners ( because Thais won't pay 4000 AUD) are not for littering, but for air pollution (light up and be fined)... now that being the case, there is a shipload of far worse cases of air pollution going on, which no one gives a damn about, mainly, I suspect, because it's done by Thais.

again... outrageous, unconscionable, absurd.... yep... etc etc

and... I'm a non smoker... but obviously one that can see the injustice about to be wrought on unsuspecting tourists

9 hours ago, farcanell said:

Lol... that it is an offense, isn't in question.... and it being an offense, does not mean it will be a problem.

you may not have noticed, but littering in Thailand is out of control... and it should be heavily policed with fines applied accordingly, but it is not

These outrageous fines, directed at foreigners ( because Thais won't pay 4000 AUD) are not for littering, but for air pollution (light up and be fined)... now that being the case, there is a shipload of far worse cases of air pollution going on, which no one gives a damn about, mainly, I suspect, because it's done by Thais.

again... outrageous, unconscionable, absurd.... yep... etc etc

and... I'm a non smoker... but obviously one that can see the injustice about to be wrought on unsuspecting tourists

No, I haven't noticed that "littering in Thailand is out of control', it certainly isn't in Bangkok, some people litter, sure, but claiming that it's out of control is a massive overstatement.

The fines are directed at offenders, not foreigners particularly, and the chances of anyone being fined the quoted amount is pretty remote as that is a maximum figure, not the fine.  What are the "much worse cases of air pollution" at the beaches committed "by the Thais"?

22 hours ago, madusa said:

Disappointment comes to those who lives in their imagination. What have you been smoking? Tractors? Sand rakes? Clean the beaches every morning?

I live within the confines of Thai mentality to avoid any disappointment. You should do likewise.

Communism disappeared only after everybody believed it didn't work, that's why it took so long. The same would happen in LOS, after every Thai believe they need to do something then they will change so that would take a long time, until every Thai believe, imagine how long that would take.

It was a sarcastic comment, sorry you didn't recognise it as such.

"The "will they hell" at the end should be a giveaway.

1 hour ago, Just Weird said:

No, I haven't noticed that "littering in Thailand is out of control', it certainly isn't in Bangkok, some people litter, sure, but claiming that it's out of control is a massive overstatement.

The fines are directed at offenders, not foreigners particularly, and the chances of anyone being fined the quoted amount is pretty remote as that is a maximum figure, not the fine.  What are the "much worse cases of air pollution" at the beaches committed "by the Thais"?

Didn't say that worse cases were at the beach.... air is everywhere, man... and it moves all over, with a little wind

from home refuse burning, thru vehicles spewing fumes to industrial waste... but you know that, and if you don't, check the amount of folk wearing dust masks in Bangkok traffic.... or simply ask yourself why Thailand ranks so high as a polluter, which is what this thread is ultimately about

yet instead of attacking all polluters, they are attacking smokers who may or may not actually be littering

14 minutes ago, farcanell said:

the chances of anyone being fined the quoted amount is pretty remote as that is a maximum figure, not the fine

Lol.... that they allow such a hefty fine, is an issue in itself, and w I d e open to abuse.

i mean, what scale of badness would justify scaling the fine?

i can just see it now...,the flying squad turns up and office plod notes...

"ah, smoking hey.... and it's not the first one, is it? Your one of them there serial smokers, aren't you?" Lol... and " hey... you over there... three at a time? Really?" :cheesy:

1 hour ago, farcanell said:

Didn't say that worse cases were at the beach.... air is everywhere, man... and it moves all over, with a little wind

from home refuse burning, thru vehicles spewing fumes to industrial waste... but you know that, and if you don't, check the amount of folk wearing dust masks in Bangkok traffic.... or simply ask yourself why Thailand ranks so high as a polluter, which is what this thread is ultimately about

yet instead of attacking all polluters, they are attacking smokers who may or may not actually be littering

This thread is about a smoking ban on beaches...man...

Very few people in Bangkok wear dust masks and Thailand is not ranked "so high as a polluter".

16 hours ago, Just Weird said:

This thread is about a smoking ban on beaches...man...

Exactly... and what is that going to achieve?

nothing regards littering, as in discarding butts on the beach... so why bother, other than to fine smokers, not litterers... when they are targeting litterers, thru a side door

beach users, by and large, are tourists... so therefore they are targeting tourists..

speaking of which, I think I may have seen you down the beach the other day... is this you?

IMG_4373.PNG

On 12/10/2017 at 2:43 AM, balo said:

To turn this into something positive ,  I quit smoking 25 years ago , now is your chance , no more cigarettes , save the money and no fines to worry about. 

It was about 25 years ago I gave up sunbathing.

I confine myself to the odd sunset walk on the beach now, no need for a ciggy.

No melanomas either!