Route 7 toll booths: "Soft opening" set for January 5th

webfact

3.jpg

Picture: Siamchon news

What was termed as the "soft opening" of the new toll booths on Route 7 from Pattaya towards Bangkok will take place on January 5th.

Motorists in cars will be charged the same as the original 60 baht fee in the first three months to travel from the resort to Lat Krabang.

Then after Songkran the fees will change, reported Siamchon news.

The "Grand Opening" will be on April 18th when cars will be charged 105 baht.

Six wheel trucks will pay 170 baht and ten wheel ones 245 baht.

Source: Siamchon news

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-10-11

1 hour ago, webfact said:

..... cars will be charged 105 baht.

Six wheel trucks will pay 170 baht and ten wheel ones 245 baht.

The price for large vehicles always seems very cheap to me compared to the price for small ones. Perhaps the authorities are just keen to get them off the normal free roads.

9 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

Does that mean that this part of Road #7 will not be available anymore for small motorbikes ? :unsure:

Was it ever, legally?

14 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

Does that mean that this part of Road #7 will not be available anymore for small motorbikes ? :unsure:

4 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Was it ever, legally?

Someone once posted how he asked at the Pattaya License Department, at the end of the video session, if it was legal to use the Route #7 with his scooter to come there from Pattaya. The answer has been that, in Thailand excluding Bangkok area, if there is no toll then your can drive on it with your scooter... :unsure:

2 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

Someone once posted how he asked at the Pattaya License Department, at the end of the video session, if it was legal to use the Route #7 with his scooter to come there from Pattaya. The answer has been that, in Thailand excluding Bangkok area, if there is no toll then your can drive on it with your scooter... :unsure:

What about the fact that there have been signs up in various places for over a year saying it is not allowed with fines of I think 5k for transgressors?

Toll plazas are SO 20th century.  And, toll plazas on the actual highway and not on exit ramps...even worse.  Haven't the traffic gurus learned ANYTHING from the massive traffic jams on Bangkok's motorways--almost always caused by way, way, way too many cars trying to get thru way too many toll plazas with way too few booths to handle the volume.  Merde. 

32 minutes ago, topt said:

What about the fact that there have been signs up in various places for over a year saying it is not allowed with fines of I think 5k for transgressors?

Last time I used Route #7 must have been early 2016 and there were no sign to forbid it.

If there are such signs now, there is no doubt or question! :sad:

14 hours ago, newnative said:

Toll plazas are SO 20th century.  And, toll plazas on the actual highway and not on exit ramps...even worse.  Haven't the traffic gurus learned ANYTHING from the massive traffic jams on Bangkok's motorways--almost always caused by way, way, way too many cars trying to get thru way too many toll plazas with way too few booths to handle the volume.  Merde. 

Get that transponder and you can zip right through.  We've had it for a few months and it's fantastic.  No waiting at all.

15 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

Get that transponder and you can zip right through.  We've had it for a few months and it's fantastic.  No waiting at all.

Yes we have one, of course, but if you have ever driven on the Bangkok motorways you'll know that the traffic at the toll plazas is often backed up so far that you can't even get to the Easy Pass lanes--so you're stuck in the stop and go creep along at walking pace like everyone else. 

4 minutes ago, newnative said:

Yes we have one, of course, but if you have ever driven on the Bangkok motorways you'll know that the traffic at the toll plazas is often backed up so far that you can't even get to the Easy Pass lanes--so you're stuck in the stop and go creep along at walking pace like everyone else. 

Just did the trip and no stopping at all.  Either way.  A minor slowdown at one, but only a bit.

P.S. I avoid the weekends!!!!

Edited by craigt3365

8 hours ago, joepattaya1961 said:

I guess that the toll plaza at Panthong will be dismantled.

The fare of 105 baht seems reasonable 

The fare might be reasonable but what a dumb figure to come up with. I wonder how many cars without easy passes will know the amount of the fare in advance and have 5 baht with them.  If they had half a brain they would have made the fare an even 100 baht.  I see a future of a lot of fumbling around looking for 5 baht, dropped coins at the handover, delays while change is made, and slower transactions as a result.  I guess I should rejoice, though, that they didn't set the fare at 103.5 baht. 

2 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

ust did the trip and no stopping at all.  Either way.  A minor slowdown at one, but only a bit.

P.S. I avoid the weekends!!!!

There's no hard and fast rule for this, but I find that afternoons are generally the times when queues are more likely. I have been caught in long queues at the toll booth at the end of the motorway coming from Bangkok several times, though I dont think it's ever been more than about 5-10 minutes wait. It seems longer because of the contrast with the lack of stopping on the motorway itself.

In theory the queues should decrease a lot with the new toll gates as the same people will be paying at all the new ones instead of the just the one main gate. That wont help reduce queues at Lad Krabang when going towards Bangkok, but I've never been caught in a big queue there anyway, though maybe that's just luck or timing.