Siam Commercial Bank(SCB) froze our bank account.

SCB froze our account a couple of weeks ago, its got B1,500 in it, we asked them why and they told us to wait for a call, we just got that call today and they said the account was being used by a 'call centre' and that we have to go to the bank to close the account with the bank book, ATM card & ID card, and that we won't be getting the money back.

We were doing nothing wrong or illegal with the account, how can they do this??

It may not be a large amount of money but it's the principle, are there any steps we can take to get the money back??

This is a ridiculous joke.

UPDATE;

We just got a call from the bank and they said someone reported that someone using our bank account tried to extort B1,000,000 from them, <deleted>????

29 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

Your issue is disturbing and really one would not want to leave any cash in a Thai Bank....who else had your bank account number btw ?

Quite a lot of people, maybe around 40+ people whom we've done business with over the last couple of months.

23 minutes ago, MaiDong said:

Quite a lot of people, maybe around 40+ people whom we've done business with over the last couple of months.

So no difference as to the way they all do business here , like wife did - Buy something & send the money to an account the business gives you

I don't believe the bank should be closing your account as they have obviously picked up on a security issue of someone ( who would also need to prove ID or security info ) to gain money from a withdrawal from a basic account

Different if a Credit card as somehow mine got compromised ( good chance of it here ) as I only used it for Plane & Hotels online, but made some purchases here in the shops 

A few mths latter got call from bank & said someone has card , No I still have , but they still used number

4 hours ago, BEVUP said:

So no difference as to the way they all do business here , like wife did - Buy something & send the money to an account the business gives you......

So how else is it done in your country or for that matter, in any other country?

7 hours ago, MaiDong said:

We were doing nothing wrong or illegal with the account, how can they do this??

Are you sure your talking to the bank MaiDong ??-- This is big in the UK at the moment and is also being run here. Friends of mine were contacted by Khon Kean Police....or so they thought..

When in doubt...go to the bank..do not conduct business over the phone

What is a vishing phone scam?

These cold-call scams typically involve fraudsters deceiving people into believing they are speaking to a police officer, a member of bank staff or a representative of another trusted company or agency such as a government department.

Usually, the fraudster will convince an individual that they have been a victim of fraud and will ask for personal and financial information in order to gain access to their account.

Scammers now have the technology to mimic an official telephone number so it comes up on your caller ID display (if you have one on your phone). This can trick you into thinking the caller is really from a legitimate organisation, like a bank or utility company. Remember if you are in any doubt about whether or not the call is genuine, hang up and call the organisation directly on a different phone. If you're using the same phone, wait 10 minutes in case the scammers keep the line open.

8 minutes ago, saakura said:

So how else is it done in your country or for that matter, in any other country?

Well there called plastic cards - Visa / Mastercard or Debit card

It works something along the lines where one gives the business there card number (instead of the business handing out their details ) then the business can claim the cost against the card (& the owner of such purchase knows they are protected by the card distributor if there are any problems ) 

Very similar to booking hotels ect

15 hours ago, oxo1947 said:

Are you sure your talking to the bank MaiDong ??-

When in doubt...go to the bank..do not conduct business over the phone

Which part of this didn't you understand?
]..... they said the account was being used by a 'call centre' and that we have to go to the bank to close the account with the bank book, ATM card & ID card, and that we won't be getting the money back.'

15 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Which part of this didn't you understand?

I dont think there was any part that I didn't understand Barry----its a new scam that at the moment is sweeping the UK--USA and is being copied in Thailand--through the internet they can now make it look like its your bank calling--they also ask you to phone the bank back-- to verify, through the internet they can now block your phone for a short time so that all calls come to them--you think you are talking to the bank dept---because you dialled their number. Just about every crime show in the UK is showing this now.....I will just give you 3 references..but Google will give you a 100.

The Idea is to think they have to close the account--once hooked it moves on from here, that they want you to help them check the money coming from this bank--withdraw some and we will check it for you..

I am not saying this is 100% what has happen in this case Barry---what I am saying is--in these times with these scams---- with anything unusual dont conduct it over the phone--with this new software, that has now been compromised.

1/ Don’t pick up the phone if your bank’s fraud department calls--New York Post... http://nypost.com/2017/03/30/dont-pick-up-the-phone-if-your-banks-fraud-department-calls/

2/ The dangerous new scam you need to know about: Conmen target bank customers calling from a phone number that mimics that of their bank...http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/saving/article-2573276/Phone-scam-Conmen-target-bank-customers-calling-phone-number-mimics-bank.html

3/ Number spoofing’ scam can make you think your bank is calling.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2014/oct/29/number-spoofing-scam-bank-calling

2 hours ago, oxo1947 said:

I dont think there was any part that I didn't understand Barry----its a new scam that at the moment is sweeping the UK--USA and is being copied in Thailand--through the internet they can now make it look like its your bank calling--they also ask you to phone the bank back-- to verify, through the internet they can now block your phone for a short time so that all calls come to them--you think you are talking to the bank dept---because you dialled their number. Just about every crime show in the UK is showing this now.....I will just give you 3 references..but Google will give you a 100.

The Idea is to think they have to close the account--once hooked it moves on from here, that they want you to help them check the money coming from this bank--withdraw some and we will check it for you..

I am not saying this is 100% what has happen in this case Barry---what I am saying is--in these times with these scams---- with anything unusual dont conduct it over the phone--with this new software, that has now been compromised.

1/ Don’t pick up the phone if your bank’s fraud department calls--New York Post... http://nypost.com/2017/03/30/dont-pick-up-the-phone-if-your-banks-fraud-department-calls/

2/ The dangerous new scam you need to know about: Conmen target bank customers calling from a phone number that mimics that of their bank...http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/saving/article-2573276/Phone-scam-Conmen-target-bank-customers-calling-phone-number-mimics-bank.html

3/ Number spoofing’ scam can make you think your bank is calling.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2014/oct/29/number-spoofing-scam-bank-calling

I know all that. but the OP said that he had been asked to visit the bank. I've never heard of a scammer asking someone to visit the bank. Are you suggesting that the bank is scamming him?

44 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I know all that. but the OP said that he had been asked to visit the bank. I've never heard of a scammer asking someone to visit the bank. Are you suggesting that the bank is scamming him?

Barry --I dont know, what I am suggesting it is a possibility,. I am up in Udon..and its happening here. But if he goes actually inside the bank--then sees someone--then I am sure its safe, from the stories here someone meets you outside --the story starts to change about they now think one of the tellers is giving forged money out---(or many other plausible story's) go in draw money out and we will check it all after. Many of the people in Udon have been approached more by (Bogus) police rather than bank managers. It really is amazing how quickly these things get around the globe.

Go to the bank with their requested documents but first try withdrawing the money before bringing up the real reason you are their.  Just walk into the bank, grab a queue number and trying withdrawing funds.  If the counter teller says the account is frozen then you can begin the conversation of why you really came.

But I think it's doubtful the really said come close the account but we are keeping the money...that was probably a miscommunication.  Heck, the bank could close the account themselves if they wanted to....they don't need your permission...but I do know banks don't like doing this unless they hand you the remaining balance via cash or check when closing the account.

And maybe they really meant your account is being used as a "business account" vs a "personal account" and they want you to open a business account while closing the personal account.  Or they have simply become suspicious of your account based on the type of transactions and any complaints received against the account.

Go visit the bank to talk face-to-face.

• 2 months later...
On 14/10/2017 at 9:18 AM, Langsuan Man said:

Seems to me that these "evil bank" stories  always end up with some major detail that the OP forgets to mention or turns out to be a matter lost in translation 

No details missed out, bank called my wife, we visited the bank, they closed our account and gave our 1,500 back, and told us not to open another account.

To those suggesting I go to the police and file a complaint, I feel you have little understanding of the way things work here. I'm not prepared to risk my family over 1,500.

Anyhow, it's all over for me now, and with nothing lost apart from a bank account. Others involved were not so lucky, some lost fortunes.

2 hours ago, MaiDong said:

No details missed out

Yet you then say -

I'm not prepared to risk my family over 1,500.

and

Others involved were not so lucky, some lost fortunes

seems to be a lot more to the story?

PS  - and you got your money back which in the OP you said they were not going to......

1 minute ago, topt said:

Yet you then say -

and

PS  - and you got your money back which in the OP you said they were not going to......

& why would the bank say not to open another account

I thought once a problem was solved you should not have any further worries concerning that account, therefore allowing you to open a new account with them 

? Why would a bank want to refuse your business ( they are there to make money )

1 hour ago, topt said:

Yet you then say -

and

There's questions I can't answer, isn't that clear enough?

1 hour ago, BEVUP said:

& why would the bank say not to open another account

I thought once a problem was solved you should not have any further worries concerning that account, therefore allowing you to open a new account with them 

? Why would a bank want to refuse your business ( they are there to make money )

No idea why they said that, we got out with our money and thought it wise to stay away, and especially not to ask any questions.

I'll try to make this a little clearer, I haven't done anything wrong or illegal, I was the victim, I was caught in a scam which involved the bank, a policeman and someone with a 'stolen' bank account, there's not really much more to say, nothing that anybody here needs to know anyway, you're all welcome to go and ask the bank or the police though, off you go :smile:

4 hours ago, colinneil said:

Mai Dong you posted about problems you were having with your bank, yet when other members offer suggestions/ comments,you just ,make stupid smart remarks WHY?

Because some of the replies were ignorant to the reality of the way things are here.

Did you read the comments that my 'stupid smart' remarks were made to?

Would you go to the police if you were being scammed by the police?

If your answer is yes, then you need to think again.

I originally asked what could I possibly do about this, and I'm sorry, but going to the police isn't one of them, that idea was one of the first to be discarded.

Archived