Itchy arms.

hackjam

For the past month, I have an area on both arms, around the elbow, about 3" wide by 6" long, very itchy. Its not possible to tell if I have a rash there, because of suntan. I don't think its sun related, as other parts of my arms are similarly tanned with the sun but not itchy. There are also some-not many-pimples on the itchy area. I have tried a few different creams and powders but to no avail. It seems worse at night time and first thing in the morning.

Like the above post said, where have you been of late, i.e. a gym, riding one of those bikes and resting your arms on the handle bars ?

It sounds like you need some antibiotics or cream of some kind.

Can suggest you PM Sheryl who is usually around in this forum or wait for a response, as I am sure a reply with answer will follow shortly thereafter.

Edited by 4MyEgo

the cause of itching is most of the time a  chemical........

can be :hairspray, hair gel, deodorant ,aftershave.......

Or an underlying heart-problem ,as it was in my case (had 6 bypasses and this itching was the only alarm)

Brachioradial pruritus (sometimes abbreviated BRP) is an intense itching sensation of the arm usually between the wrist and elbow of either or both arms.[1]:36 The itch can be so intense that sufferers will scratch their own skin to a bleeding condition.

The condition is becoming increasingly common, presenting in patients who are usually fair skinned and middle aged and indulge in golf, tennis, outdoor table tennis, sailing, or other leisure outdoor activities in sunny climates.[1]:64[2]:402

The cause is not known, although there are a few lines of thought on what causes it. No cure has been found. Many different medications and types of topical creamshave been experimented with, but none seem to make any difference. The only thing that seems to help most sufferers is the application of ice to the area until the itch is diminished.

I have itchy also. I think it is spiders, other small insects that are hiding from the rainy season and coming inside. Insects like hiding in clothing when outside drying AND in clothing inside.  I clean my clothing areas regularly with Dittol mixed with very little Hafif in a spray bottle, ( 750 ml spray bottle --- 5 ml Ditto --- 2 ml Hafif --- fill the rest of bottle with water and shake ).  I use Babi Mild Double Milk Protein Plus Milk Lotion AND VITARA 99.5 % Aloe Vera gel for the itching..  These items will comfort. Hafif is for lice but kills all insects. I just sprayed clothing drawers today, spray and close drawers to let dry, vacuum any dirt and dead insects, put clothes back in. Insects and every bug come inside to escape the rain.

5 minutes ago, lucjoker said:

the cause of itching is most of the time a  chemical........

can be :hairspray, hair gel, deodorant ,aftershave.......

Or an underlying heart-problem ,as it was in my case (had 6 bypasses and this itching was the only alarm)

Brachioradial pruritus (sometimes abbreviated BRP) is an intense itching sensation of the arm usually between the wrist and elbow of either or both arms.[1]:36 The itch can be so intense that sufferers will scratch their own skin to a bleeding condition.

The condition is becoming increasingly common, presenting in patients who are usually fair skinned and middle aged and indulge in golf, tennis, outdoor table tennis, sailing, or other leisure outdoor activities in sunny climates.[1]:64[2]:402

The cause is not known, although there are a few lines of thought on what causes it. No cure has been found. Many different medications and types of topical creamshave been experimented with, but none seem to make any difference. The only thing that seems to help most sufferers is the application of ice to the area until the itch is diminished.

I have also had this condition, off and on, over the past 15 years.

Once you start scratching that is it ... it gets worse.  And as lucjoker notes, no known cause or cure.

What has worked for me,  in the sense that I have no more intense itching, is:

1) apply a general moisturising cream to the arms a couple of times a day.  In Australia, I bought a cheap Vitamin E and aloe vera cream at a supermarket for about Baht 40 for 500mls.  Here I use a "Jergens" moisturising cream which you can get at TescoLotus.

2) at the first sign of itching take an antihistamine.  In Australia I had to experiment with different brands and dosages over several years to find one that works.  Here I use chlorpheniramine maleate, 4mgs,  made by Asian Union Laboratories (Samut Prakan, Bangkok).  You may not be able to get this medication at most pharmacies, I got mine from my local small hospital.  I always carry a couple of tablets with me, just in case.

I have also found that applying ice or something very cold to the itch area for about a minute reduces the itch intensity.

Good luck.

1 hour ago, JimHuaHin said:

I have also had this condition, off and on, over the past 15 years.

Once you start scratching that is it ... it gets worse.  And as lucjoker notes, no known cause or cure.

What has worked for me,  in the sense that I have no more intense itching, is:

1) apply a general moisturising cream to the arms a couple of times a day.  In Australia, I bought a cheap Vitamin E and aloe vera cream at a supermarket for about Baht 40 for 500mls.  Here I use a "Jergens" moisturising cream which you can get at TescoLotus.

2) at the first sign of itching take an antihistamine.  In Australia I had to experiment with different brands and dosages over several years to find one that works.  Here I use chlorpheniramine maleate, 4mgs,  made by Asian Union Laboratories (Samut Prakan, Bangkok).  You may not be able to get this medication at most pharmacies, I got mine from my local small hospital.  I always carry a couple of tablets with me, just in case.

I have also found that applying ice or something very cold to the itch area for about a minute reduces the itch intensity.

Good luck.

....if not already stated..dabbing the area with white vinegar usually eases most itches/bites..except a monitor lizard, then your cactus.

if you are taking any pill or tablet regularly, it could be a reaction to this.... it happened to me but on the legs. After trying creams, gels and any sort of remedies I found out that just by stopping taking that particularly pill everythig was back to normal. 

8 hours ago, Laza 45 said:

A cream that I have found very effective is 'Canasone''.. a broad spectrum anti-fungal and anti-inflammatory.. get it at your local pharmacy.. use sparingly..  2 or 3 times a day after shower..  usually clears up in a day or two..

I think you mean Canesten. It is an anti-fungal, and a good one, but it is generally intended for areas that suffer from fungal infections, and it is not a dermatitis ointment. 

Better to consult a doctor. Should prescribe something that will clear it fairly quickly. 

I have experienced an unusual itch since moving here - it has finally settled after some major attacks, on one small area . I still dont know what causes it , its now  just under the skin on my upper arm and there is no rash.

Systral Cream eases the itch and is easily available at pharmacies.

12 hours ago, Jonmarleesco said:

I think you mean Canesten. It is an anti-fungal, and a good one, but it is generally intended for areas that suffer from fungal infections, and it is not a dermatitis ointment. 

Better to consult a doctor. Should prescribe something that will clear it fairly quickly. 

No... I don't mean Canesten...   I mean Canasone CB   ..anti-fungal & anti-inflammatory combined.. 

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=canasone&rlz=1C1GGRV_enTH748TH748&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjl0an9m-zWAhUNSo8KHXqBCbgQsAQIJQ&biw=1349&bih=634

me and mrs.meat had rashes on both hands and arms,mine was a nasty rash on the hands,could be the washing up liquid or the mosquito repelant.

the wife has it on the inside of the arms,we got some very good cream  off friends who go to chula hospice in bkk.

the rash would clear up in days,mine has gone completely,but the wife's has come back since last month after running out of the cream from chula.i will post the name of it as soon as our friends get some for us.

with the wife being a community health worker she is able to get most,and what she is using now is 

TRIAMCINOLONE CREAM,its ok but not has good as the one from chula.

she also goes to the gym and pool a lot.?