Urgent flood warning as reservoirs overwhelmed - RID denies repeat of 2011 crisis

webfact

7 hours ago, Jonah Tenner said:

Superb band . . . superb song! I hope to get chance to YouTube it, once I get through my flooded mail bag.

Edited by Ossy
omission

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Past flooding has often occurred on weekends such as this - with a public holiday: all the senior officials clear off for the long weekend leaving junior minions to look after the dams. The problem being that these underlings don't have the authority or ability to know when to release water. Flooding ensues. 

47 minutes ago, Elkski said:

Who would buy or build in a food prone area?

Oh, yes please, so long as it's Thai - prone curry especially. That has to be the best Freudian slip of the year.

1 hour ago, soalbundy said:

build them on stilts, every condo should have its own little harbour instead of a car park.

This presents a wonderful picture and quite a challenge for the architects and builders . . . not to mention the RTP, who would then be struggling to park their patrol boats alongside their waterside playstations.

21 hours ago, overherebc said:

Won't argue with your figures but I reckon all the above assumes the released water has somewhere to go and not into the main drain for BKK the river which is very close to if not at sea level for a long bit of its length.

Yep (the figures - as mentioned - are ficticous), but if you release today the surplus rain of yesterday - every single day - then flooding is a thing of the past or can be corrected. 

45 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

Yep (the figures - as mentioned - are ficticous), but if you release today the surplus rain of yesterday - every single day - then flooding is a thing of the past or can be corrected. 

Doesn't work unless you know when the next rainy day is going be. If it doesn't rain again for a few weeks you've then wasted the water that would have been for irrigation.

Go back to building on stilts as before and at least you minimise domestic destruction. Doesn't help for the crops though I admit.

Edited by overherebc

11 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Just let it flush BKK down to sea. The crotch of Thailand needs a good rinse, then build a new capital somewhere not on a swamp.

And with a road system that says goodbye to traffic chaos, like Sukhumvit Road, I hope.

4 hours ago, overherebc said:

Doesn't work unless you know when the next rainy day is going be. If it doesn't rain again for a few weeks you've then wasted the water that would have been for irrigation.

Go back to building on stilts as before and at least you minimise domestic destruction. Doesn't help for the crops though I admit.

Well, I simplified the procedure but that's the way dams in Switzerland are operated - in general. It also depends from dam to dam; certain dams cannot be drained completely for various reasons either. As said, it is a simplified formula which works definitely better than Somchai in the control room closing all gates and valves when it starts to rain. This fills the dams too fast and they have to release (lots of) water in the last quarter of the rainy season when one third of the water rains in.
So, the torrential rains, combined with Somchais completely opening of gates/valves to release the entire rain intake of yesterday (and not only 1/9th as in my simple example) results in = floods. 

8 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

Well, I simplified the procedure but that's the way dams in Switzerland are operated - in general. It also depends from dam to dam; certain dams cannot be drained completely for various reasons either. As said, it is a simplified formula which works definitely better than Somchai in the control room closing all gates and valves when it starts to rain. This fills the dams too fast and they have to release (lots of) water in the last quarter of the rainy season when one third of the water rains in.
So, the torrential rains, combined with Somchais completely opening of gates/valves to release the entire rain intake of yesterday (and not only 1/9th as in my simple example) results in = floods. 

I love you techno-freaks!

15 hours ago, overherebc said:

Always happy to make your day. 

Sent from my Marconi Oceanspan with variable Mu pentodes.

I bought some of those on Amazon . . . superb until the bloody wheels dropped off, so I'm stickin' with the unvariable (sounds better than the more correct 'inv') type from now on. Seriously, though, what the hell are they?

1 hour ago, Ossy said:

I bought some of those on Amazon . . . superb until the bloody wheels dropped off, so I'm stickin' with the unvariable (sounds better than the more correct 'inv') type from now on. Seriously, though, what the hell are they?

Oceanspan radio from 50's.

Big radio on left of the photo.

??

images (59).jpg

images (58).jpg

images (1).png

9 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Oceanspan radio from 50's.

Big radio on left of the photo.

??

images (59).jpg

images (58).jpg

images (1).png

And, there I was, actually believing that the Marconi Oceanspan was the latest thing to hit the android market. Great Pentodes, though . . . how do you get yours to grow so straight? And, for what it's worth, my ex-wife spent about a year, making those things at Mullards, in Blackburn; part of the Philips empire, circa 1968-70.

25 minutes ago, Ossy said:

And, there I was, actually believing that the Marconi Oceanspan was the latest thing to hit the android market. Great Pentodes, though . . . how do you get yours to grow so straight? And, for what it's worth, my ex-wife spent about a year, making those things at Mullards, in Blackburn; part of the Philips empire, circa 1968-70.

How did they get their fingers into those little glass tubes to fit all the bits together. Amazing.

PS Don't answer, let someone else answer it.

On 10/13/2017 at 8:05 AM, Elkski said:

Very interesting not one person has said why do people build in what is obvious a floodplain  as seen on maps, Google earth, or from the air.    Maybe the solution is relocation.  Who would buy or build in a food prone area?

Many major cities around the world are in flood prone area - examples such as Tokyo. Its really up to the government on how they tackle the issue. Yinglucks administration has spent billions and nothing was done other than award contract to a korean company, and half finished projects. The current government aren't even doing anything.

As for Tokyo, if you read about their flood plan, they did a pretty good job.

36 minutes ago, mike324 said:

Many major cities around the world are in flood prone area - examples such as Tokyo. Its really up to the government on how they tackle the issue. Yinglucks administration has spent billions and nothing was done other than award contract to a korean company, and half finished projects. The current government aren't even doing anything.

In Thailand they always have done I reckon but since changing from the house on stilts design to the bungalow style, flooding has a big impact re' home damage.

As far as BKK the place is sinking all the time.

Years ago I can remember driving on the lower road past DM airport and it was like roller coaster. All the supports for the tollway were built on concrete pads on piles and the rest of the road had sunk about 8 to 10 inches. At one time they cut the 'bumps' at the base of the supports and got it sort of level again. Haven't been on it for 15 or so years but there's a good chance it's a roller coaster again.

Eventually the place will flood to a great extent but 'when' is the 60 million dollar question.

1 hour ago, mike324 said:

Tokyo and Bangkok . . . talk about comparing the sublime with the subdued.

3 hours ago, macgver said:

Hard to believe the statement, already flooding in Bangkok. Some more the dams water heading too

Don't need those dam water to flood Bangkok. Any moderately heavy rainfall, high tide and failure of the giant drain will flood Bangkok like last night. But eventually Bangkok will sink below sea level. Dams will not help. 

8 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Don't need those dam water to flood Bangkok. Any moderately heavy rainfall, high tide and failure of the giant drain will flood Bangkok like last night. But eventually Bangkok will sink below sea level. Dams will not help. 

And all those heavy skyscrapers can't be helping matters . . . hmmm y$x75%=2y£ . . . Gladys, ave we still got that wrecking ball?

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 11:51 AM, RichardColeman said:

Is that the deputy PM taking a swim in the 2nd picture ? 

As I said in my earlier post, this is, without doubt, the PM's double; not his deputy's. Same 'straight from t'barbers' hair, dyson/hoover nostrils and chubby cheeks . . . Prawit's nowhere near so handsome. And, for once, this guy gives Prayuth a touch of humility . . . humanity, almost.

e5c374a62770e2063f5ef5313959daf3.jpg.883

Edited by Ossy
clarity

31 minutes ago, Ossy said:

As I said in my earlier post, this is, without doubt, the PM's double; not his deputy's. Same 'straight from t'barbers' hair, dyson/hoover nostrils and chubby cheeks . . . Prawit's nowhere near so handsome. And, for once, this guy gives Prayuth a touch of humility . . . humanity, almost.

e5c374a62770e2063f5ef5313959daf3.jpg.883

Why is he balancing a melon shaped seat on his head??????

2 hours ago, overherebc said:

In Thailand they always have done I reckon but since changing from the house on stilts design to the bungalow style, flooding has a big impact re' home damage.

As far as BKK the place is sinking all the time.

Years ago I can remember driving on the lower road past DM airport and it was like roller coaster. All the supports for the tollway were built on concrete pads on piles and the rest of the road had sunk about 8 to 10 inches. At one time they cut the 'bumps' at the base of the supports and got it sort of level again. Haven't been on it for 15 or so years but there's a good chance it's a roller coaster again.

Eventually the place will flood to a great extent but 'when' is the 60 million dollar question.

True less and less folks are building house on stilts, Thais never learn from history.

Road are a whole lot better, but still there are roller coasters depending if there are large trucks passing, a good example are roads further down bangna area where it gets close to the industrial estate.

We won't see Bangkok wiped out by rising sea water, perhaps thats why Thai authorities aren't in a hurry to do anything.

1 minute ago, mike324 said:

True less and less folks are building house on stilts, Thais never learn from history.

Road are a whole lot better, but still there are roller coasters depending if there are large trucks passing, a good example are roads further down bangna area where it gets close to the industrial estate.

We won't see Bangkok wiped out by rising sea water, perhaps thats why Thai authorities aren't in a hurry to do anything.

As I mentioned DM airport road I was always heading for Paholyothin Road behind the airport and can remember in the rainy season water and mud squirting up between the concrete sections of the road. It used to bounce when a heavy truck went past.

On 10/12/2017 at 12:10 AM, smotherb said:

Gee, poor management, poor enforcement, poor planning, poor implementation, poor zoning, poor construction, poor operation, poor training and you wonder if problems will occur.

Considering Agenda 21 (or Agenda 2030 if you must), I don't think these types of things are random 'anywhere'. It's weather warfare. The elite have tech that is 50 or more years beyond what we are aware of. 9 out of 10 ppl you see everyday must go. The rest will be turned into robot hybrids. I 'wish' this was a conspiracy theory.