Trump denies seeking nearly tenfold increase in U.S. nuclear arsenal

webfact

Trump denies seeking nearly tenfold increase in U.S. nuclear arsenal

tag-reuters.jpg

U.S. President Donald Trump speaks during his meeting with former U.S. Secretary of State Henry Kissinger in the Oval Office of the White House in Washington, U.S., October 10, 2017. REUTERS/Kevin Lamarque

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump on Wednesday denied a report from NBC News that he told his national security advisers in July he wanted to increase the country's nuclear arsenal by nearly tenfold, saying he argued for its modernization.

NBC News said the president called for the increase after he was shown a chart indicating the stockpile of U.S. nuclear weapons had slid from a high of 32,000 in the 1960s. Trump said he wanted to have that same number now, NBC reported.

Speaking to reporters at the White House during a meeting with Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, Trump said the report was not true.

"I never discussed increasing it. I want it in perfect shape. That was just fake news by NBC," he said. "We don't need an increase. But I want modernization and I want total rehabilitation. It's got to be in tip-top shape."

The president's denial was buttressed by a statement from his defence chief.

"Recent reports that the president called for an increase in the U.S. nuclear arsenal are absolutely false. This kind of erroneous reporting is irresponsible," Defense Secretary Jim Mattis said.

Although U.S. presidents have modernized weapon stockpiles over the years, any meaningful addition to the nuclear arsenal would violate treaty agreements. The Federation of American Scientists says the United States currently has about 4,000 nuclear warheads earmarked for use in its military stockpile.

After the meeting in July, Secretary of State Rex Tillerson referred to Trump as a "moron," according to NBC. U.S. news reports have painted the relationship between Trump and Tillerson as tense.

The NBC report comes during a time of high tension between the United States and North Korea over Pyongyang's nuclear weapons and missile programs, and just ahead of an expected announcement from Trump on whether to decertify the international deal on Iran's nuclear programme.

Trump told Reuters in February that he wanted to ensure that the U.S. nuclear arsenal was at the "top of the pack."

MSNBC reported in 2016 that as a candidate, Trump asked a foreign policy adviser three times in a one-hour meeting why the United States could not deploy its nuclear weapons.

(Reporting by Roberta Rampton, Makini Brice and Susan Heavey; editing by Tim Ahmann and Steve Orlofsky)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-10-12

9 minutes ago, webfact said:

MSNBC reported in 2016 that as a candidate, Trump asked a foreign policy adviser three times in a one-hour meeting why the United States could not deploy its nuclear weapons.

It is truly a scary thing when the most powerful man in the world is a buffoon. I would argue that if you do not understand that using a nuclear weapon is a very bad thing, you have no business being President of the USA.

I have said it before and (unfortunately) need to say it again;

Donald Trump is an ever-expanding cloud of toxic waste that defiles everything it touches

God help us all

46 minutes ago, webfact said:

After the meeting in July, Secretary of State Rex Tillerson referred to Trump as a "moron," according to NBC.

I'd say he got that about right. It strikes me that there is now denial as someone has probably spent a lot of time explaining to Donald in words of one syllable, what international treaties actually mean. It really is scary to have such a gung ho whack job with the power to push the button.

20 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

I'd say he got that about right. It strikes me that there is now denial as someone has probably spent a lot of time explaining to Donald in words of one syllable, what international treaties actually mean. It really is scary to have such a gung ho whack job with the power to push the button.

Agreed. What I find even more "scary" or troubling is that Republicans refuse to put country first. They are so spineless they are putting their party and personal positions before the good of the country. What a bunch of cowards leading our country. They are so often spouting off a/b family values/constitution/ integrity but in reality they are no better than the cretin they stand behind.

45's money can not buy him.jpg

1 hour ago, craigt3365 said:

He probably doesn't even remember what he said at that meeting in July.  But calling it fake news is horrible.  He's a sick man.

He's probably still very confused. Trump had claimed (another awful lie) that the decision and funding for modernisation of the US nuclear weapons arsenal was on his watch; in fact decided and funded by the Obama Administration.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-takes-credit-for-nuclear-arsenal-that-was-largely-modernized-by-obama-administration/

VOX: “Insanity and folly”: experts on Trump’s proposal to build tens of thousands of nukes

Trump’s comments during the July 20 briefing came after his advisers showed him a chart similar to the one above. It shows the total number of nuclear warheads in the US arsenal over time. It seems that Trump basically just pointed at the biggest number and asked for it.

They showed him a chart.  BIG mistake.  Keep trump in the oval office for the next three years with some shiny toys and a TV showing Fox and Friends.  Never show him charts of actual information, because he has no idea how to comprehend it.  His total lack of comprehension would be embarrassing, so he feels obligated to bark out some orders when he's presented with complex information.

4 minutes ago, BuaBS said:

NBC News & MSNBC .... ok no need to read further :sleep:

That's what I say when the mailman brings me my utility bills.  "The mailman?  What does he know about my electricity and water usage!?"

It's fun to shoot the messenger, isn't it?

1 hour ago, BuaBS said:

I watch MSNBC; especially benefit from watching Rachel Maddow. She is factual and informative. What do you object to re: facts?  They do not assert "opinions" as facts. Others "news" outlets do, but I have yet to find this on MSNBC. I'm interested in truth and facts; opinions are not that important; especially if given as factual.

7 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

It is truly a scary thing when the most powerful man in the world is a buffoon. I would argue that if you do not understand that using a nuclear weapon is a very bad thing, you have no business being President of the USA.

I have said it before and (unfortunately) need to say it again;

Donald Trump is an ever-expanding cloud of toxic waste that defiles everything it touches

God help us all

A bit harsh, lol, give him a chance!

10 hours ago, BuaBS said:

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/10/11/politics/nuclear-arsenal-trump/index.html

No need to figure this out.It make's sense.  There is no need to build 1000's.The power of 1 missiles is   1000 x  the strength of the  H,J bomb.

Besides his General's denied that he said that. 

Secretary of Defense James Mattis also denied the NBC report, saying, "Recent reports that the President called for an increase in the US nuclear arsenal are absolutely false. This kind of erroneous reporting is irresponsible."

1 hour ago, riclag said:

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/10/11/politics/nuclear-arsenal-trump/index.html

No need to figure this out.It make's sense.  There is no need to build 1000's.The power of 1 missiles is   1000 x  the strength of the  H,J bomb.

Besides his General's denied that he said that. 

Secretary of Defense James Mattis also denied the NBC report, saying, "Recent reports that the President called for an increase in the US nuclear arsenal are absolutely false. This kind of erroneous reporting is irresponsible."

Of course, it's obvious. That's why this tweet that allegedly came from Donald Trump is just an invention of the MSM:

Donald J. Trump 

@realDonaldTrump

The United States must greatly strengthen and expand its nuclear capability until such time as the world comes to its senses regarding nukes

8 hours ago, Berkshire said:

20 hours ago, BuaBS said:

The only bigger moron than Trump are his supporters. 

I've not watched NBC nor MSNBC for years.  So, tried them last night.  About 30 minutes each.  Just news.  Fires in California, updates on the Las Vegas shooting and damage in Puerto Rico, other misc BS.  For somebody to ignore these media outlets is beyond bizarre.  It's just news. And actually, was done quite well.  I'll continue to watch MSNBC for their news hour.  Thanks BuaBS!  Great choice.

P.S. I avoid panels like the plague.

7 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

I've not watched NBC nor MSNBC for years.  So, tried them last night.  About 30 minutes each.  Just news.  Fires in California, updates on the Las Vegas shooting and damage in Puerto Rico, other misc BS.  For somebody to ignore these media outlets is beyond bizarre.  It's just news. And actually, was done quite well.  I'll continue to watch MSNBC for their news hour.  Thanks BuaBS!  Great choice.

P.S. I avoid panels like the plague.

You're welcome !  You are the perfect citizen , scooping up the BS of the MSM .

I stick to news by thinking people on sites like zerohedge.

10 minutes ago, BuaBS said:

Yes, among other things the people who predicted hyperinflation in the US due to QE.  I guess indulging in fantasies and creating lies is a kind of thinking.

20 minutes ago, BuaBS said:

You are aware of the fake news by zerohedge?  Doesn't sound like it.  100% click bait.  Sad you've fallen for it.  And luckily, links to that site are not allowed here.  For obvious reasons.

7 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

You are aware of the fake news by zerohedge?  Doesn't sound like it.  100% click bait.  Sad you've fallen for it.  And luckily, links to that site are not allowed here.  For obvious reasons.

The different POV of those sites are not liked by the MSM advocates .

They want nice brainless people who eat everything the MSM (= the media arm of the CIA) put in front of them.

They taught you well padawan .

Sites like ZH just confirm what is already in my head, and express it far better than I ever could.

7 hours ago, ilostmypassword said:

Yes, among other things the people who predicted hyperinflation in the US due to QE.  I guess indulging in fantasies and creating lies is a kind of thinking.

It's just because the masses like you and craigt3365 swallow the partyline that confidence in a worthless dollar/euro/yen/pound remains . Hyperinflation will come because of QE and the unsustainable debt. Just wait .

13 minutes ago, BuaBS said:

The different POV of those sites are not liked by the MSM advocates .

They want nice brainless people who eat everything the MSM (= the media arm of the CIA) put in front of them.

They taught you well padawan .

Sites like ZH just confirm what is already in my head, and express it far better than I ever could.

It's fake news!  Sad state for society when people fall for that.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/the-men-behind-zero-hedge-have-been-unmasked-2016-4

That bleak, anticonsumerist approach is not true, Lokey told Bloomberg in an email. "What you are reading at Zero Hedge is nonsense," he said. "And you shouldn't support it. Two guys who live a lifestyle you only dream of are pretending to speak for you."

You've been suckered.  And are paying for their great lifestyle.  Just like the fake news machines in Macedonia.  Pure click bait.

13 minutes ago, BuaBS said:

It's just because the masses like you and craigt3365 swallow the partyline that confidence in a worthless dollar/euro/yen/pound remains . Hyperinflation will come because of QE and the unsustainable debt. Just wait .

Where do you come up with that?  You've got no idea what I'm thinking on that.  I've never posted anything.  Wow.  Talk about reaching and going off topic. LOL

44 minutes ago, BuaBS said:

And Jesus is coming soon. Just wait. Your predictions are long past their sell-by date. Your prophets have repeatedly been proven to be wrong.