What side boxes or bags?

AllanB

Thinking about getting a CRF250 this week...if not will keep the Lifan, either way I need a luggage system.

Can build the carrier system, but need a couple of side bags or boxes, what are the options out there? Costs, sizes and photos.

Don't want a top box, will use a soft bag for that.

Hi,

I bought these from Chiang Rai Saddlebags, they go on the Rally also, i just put some padding to reduce scratching. Don't recall the price, maybe 3500 baht. They expand also by un-zipping. Here the webbing goes under the seat, but can go over if you want.

I have a top box, difficult to get on and off with it attached!

Picture 002.jpg

Edited by chrissables

Not exactly a CRF chrissables..... but I suppose we get the picture.  as an ex CRF owner, if I was to go the side bags/boxes option Id probably go the hard plastic option that givi can provide.  Why/  because they probably offer better weather protection and ae a bit more indestructable should one 'tip' over.

Not sure of prices but if you were to look at ChiangRai Saddlebags website (Who is a sponsor of ThaiVisa) you may get an indication of price.

Ive seen some bikes with big alumimium boxes and frankly they scare me somewhat.  Sure they look good but they are hard should your leg/shin or any other part of your body come into contact with them.  they are probably quite alright...its just my opinion.

Hope youre happy with whatever you decide to go with.  as an aside I had a big Givi topbox on my CRF.  It was a godsend...fullface helmet fitted easily and was great when I went grocery shopping at makro.

Good luck

15 minutes ago, CMKiwi said:

Not exactly a CRF chrissables..... but I suppose we get the picture.  as an ex CRF owner, if I was to go the side bags/boxes option Id probably go the hard plastic option that givi can provide.  Why/  because they probably offer better weather protection and ae a bit more indestructable should one 'tip' over.

Not sure of prices but if you were to look at ChiangRai Saddlebags website (Who is a sponsor of ThaiVisa) you may get an indication of price.

Ive seen some bikes with big alumimium boxes and frankly they scare me somewhat.  Sure they look good but they are hard should your leg/shin or any other part of your body come into contact with them.  they are probably quite alright...its just my opinion.

Hope youre happy with whatever you decide to go with.  as an aside I had a big Givi topbox on my CRF.  It was a godsend...fullface helmet fitted easily and was great when I went grocery shopping at makro.

Good luck

I have a Rally as well, they fit.

I was not aware givi did hard boxes for the Rally. Trying to get info from the dealers here is hard work!

I don't need to look at the prices, Alan can, i was just answering a question.

I have a top box, and tank bag too.

I think you are mixing me up with someone who is looking against someone who has already :)

I couldn't find any soft luggage so I bought some Vincita pedal bike saddle bags. I cut them in 2 and added an extension where it loops over the seat. The racks are just 1/4" x 1' flat bar with some aluminum added to keep them off the muffler.

It seems to be OK. 

bags.jpg

Edited by drift

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

Bag on back seat.

59e0374b569e1_22228285_10155829257600990_3308699365018693398_n(1).thumb.jpg.254d3ab5a5086c0b8bf255c139a3264d.jpg

NCD, wife on back seat...

How do these compare with yours capacity-wise Chrissibles? Ouch! 1250 baht....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOTORCYCLE-LARGE-TWIN-BLACK-SPORTS-PANNIER-BAGS-MOTORBIKE-BIKE-STORAGE-PANNIERS-/400976302626?epid=1544258619&hash=item5d5c0cd222:g:df4AAOSwUV9WmQ9W

Looked at the Rally, probably a prettier bike but, thought seat was too high, I absolutely don't want a screen in Thailand (need max airflow), what's left for my 35,000 baht extra.

Edited by AllanB

Amorn has BMW side pannier look-a-like metal suitcases if you fancy a trip into town? You did say you could build a carrier?

The one Amorn has are for carrying sound equipment like microphones and cables and... 

28 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Amorn has BMW side pannier look-a-like metal suitcases if you fancy a trip into town? You did say you could build a carrier?

The one Amorn has are for carrying sound equipment like microphones and cables and... 

That's an interesting option we have a branch in KK, will check them out.  Cheers NV

5 hours ago, AllanB said:

NCD, wife on back seat...

How do these compare with yours capacity-wise Chrissibles? Ouch! 1250 baht....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOTORCYCLE-LARGE-TWIN-BLACK-SPORTS-PANNIER-BAGS-MOTORBIKE-BIKE-STORAGE-PANNIERS-/400976302626?epid=1544258619&hash=item5d5c0cd222:g:df4AAOSwUV9WmQ9W

Looked at the Rally, probably a prettier bike but, thought seat was too high, I absolutely don't want a screen in Thailand (need max airflow), what's left for my 35,000 baht extra.

Back pack Bag on back of wife simple, no wife, bag on back seat we're not going around the world only Thailand.

42 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Back pack Bag on back of wife simple, no wife, bag on back seat we're not going around the world only Thailand.

Wearing a back pack with any weight is dangerous. Wife kg + pack kg = impact mass during accident. Plus extra weight on her back, and legs during soft roading.

She wears a bright orange mini back pack with our money in, 2off 20 baht notes.

Think my tank bag may fit.

I just succumbed (or is it succame?) .......Bought a new Honda CRF250L, 130k baht, with tax/insurance, free helmet and an 8,000 baht GoPro Hero. :partytime2:

I would like to sell the GoPro Hero, anyone interested, offers?

Side by side I think the Rally looks better, but really didn't want a screen in Thailand and prefer the L's seat height. Couldn't really justify the extra 35,000 baht for the larger tank and cool lights. 130k was the price 2-3 years ago and this has the more powerful 24bhp engine and a little more room on the back for two upping.

So need to sort this luggage out, had a good look around for some boxes, no luck at all, so it may have to be soft bags.

Ordered a rear rack, cheap enough to not want to bother starting there, so now I have a sub-base for the luggage mounting system. 

Edited by AllanB

43 minutes ago, AllanB said:

I just succumbed (or is it succame?) .......Bought a new Honda CRF250L, 130k baht, with tax/insurance, free helmet and an 8,000 baht GoPro Hero. :partytime2:

I would like to sell the GoPro Hero, anyone interested, offers?

Side by side I think the Rally looks better, but really didn't want a screen in Thailand and prefer the L's seat height. Couldn't really justify the extra 35,000 baht for the larger tank and cool lights. 130k was the price 2-3 years ago and this has the more powerful 24bhp engine and a little more room on the back for two upping.

So need to sort this luggage out, had a good look around for some boxes, no luck at all, so it may have to be soft bags.

Ordered a rear rack, cheap enough to not want to bother starting there, so now I have a sub-base for the luggage mounting system. 

Jolly good!

# How come you got it so cheap? Up here they were all quoting 146k by the time it had all the legalities and paperwork done.

# Check the BKK shop and their website out Bikerz Bits - have EVERYTHING for CRF's at ridiculous prices, genuine and aftermarket.

# Go for soft bags, buy some from the States, Rocky Mountain etc, plenty to choose from, not expensive. Top boxes and hard side cases look ridiculous on a CRF.

57 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

Jolly good!

# How come you got it so cheap? Up here they were all quoting 146k by the time it had all the legalities and paperwork done.

# Check the BKK shop and their website out Bikerz Bits - have EVERYTHING for CRF's at ridiculous prices, genuine and aftermarket.

# Go for soft bags, buy some from the States, Rocky Mountain etc, plenty to choose from, not expensive. Top boxes and hard side cases look ridiculous on a CRF.

I looked at the Rocky Mountain bags, with shipping and tax it doubled in price!

I will look at Bikerz Bits, maybe they have some hard boxes for the Rally.

3 hours ago, chrissables said:

I looked at the Rocky Mountain bags, with shipping and tax it doubled in price!

I will look at Bikerz Bits, maybe they have some hard boxes for the Rally.

Have everything, except, er, luggage...

4 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

Jolly good!

I did ask to pay more but they insisted. Seriously, the list price is 135k OTR, they asked me for 140k, I said thank you...she talked to her boss and they dropped the price, got the GoPro camera and a decent helmet for MrsB with removable jaw guard.

I think I may have susses out the bag issue. I will make a simple brackets down each side out, buy two small rucksacks and cut the straps off, leaving only a little tag, for a punched/pressed eye at the top end, then put a strip of velcro along the bottom. Attaching the bags will require dropping the bag onto two hooks at the top and securing them with the velcro at the bottom. Maybe add a belt buckle for extra security. The bags go for around 99baht each and find someone to do the mods, everything for around 500baht 

Kriega.  Strong, waterproof and modular.  I have a full kriega luggage which is now 3 years old and still looks fresh.

Prices vary depending on ltr size.  Start from 2.5k.  Not the cheapest but well worth it.  panda rider is the main dealer.

imageproxy.php?img=&key=3bccf9db2954ff32

k1.jpg

k2.jpg

k3.jpg

Edited by BBJ