Opening a Bank account in. Bangkok

apparently the bangkok bank close to asok bts is easy on tourist visa but like a lot of things it probably depends on who you see on the day. should be easy enough but you might need to go to more than one bank on the day. most of the large malls should be worth trying such as mbk as mentioned above

Absolutely none from my experience with a tourist Visa.  Not even a Retirement Visa will cut it now in BKK. They want a confirmed Thailand address.  Work Visa OK.

New rules they say.

I shopped a lot and finally had to go to Pattaya to open an account.

Good Luck.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 1

Absolutely none from my experience with a tourist Visa.  Not even a Retirement Visa will cut it now in BKK. They want a confirmed Thailand address.  Work Visa OK.
New rules they say.

Good Luck.

What exactly is a “confirmed thai address”?
  • Confused 1

30 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

a bit of a personal question don't you think. he just wants one. do you work at poipet or something 555

Just trying to understand the gentleman's need which in all likelihood the bank official is unlikely to do. I have yet to come across a Swede who is touchy about being asked why he wanted to open a bank account in Thailand.

2 minutes ago, Aditi Sharma said:

Just trying to understand the gentleman's need which in all likelihood the bank official is unlikely to do. I have yet to come across a Swede who is touchy about being asked why he wanted to open a bank account in Thailand.

seeing as you're not a thai bank account clerk i guess you probably haven't yet. 

• Like 1

For the surest way without any risk. Go to your embassy and ask them for a letter of recommendation for purpose of opening bank account. Takes about 10mins procedure depending on the queue. 

If you are living in an apartment or condo on your tourist visa stay here, get your contract as proof of address in Thailand or utilities bill or any official letter you have address to you.

Bring the above 2 with your passport and valid tourist visa stamp in it to the main HQ branch of Bangkok Bank( google it) or call them up to confirm the location.

Arm with all of the above you should be able to open a savings account with Bangkok Bank. If you do not have your proof of address cos you are in an hotel now, no probs, print out your hotel booking or ask the hotel staff for billing that you in the hotel now. Good luck

6 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

New rules they say.

Good Luck.

Nonsense, if you have money and you know local people, no problem at all.

8 hours ago, Aditi Sharma said:

How many Swedes have you posed that question to, sounds like you make a habit out of it?

The bank will either open the account or decline to do so, and the reason he wants it will have no bearing on whether he gets one or not, why should the bank want to know the reason for the account? 

6 hours ago, Moonmoon said:

For the surest way without any risk. Go to your embassy and ask them for a letter of recommendation for purpose of opening bank account. Takes about 10mins procedure depending on the queue.

You're joking, right, which embassies will do that?  The British Embassy won't, that's for sure.  Maybe you're a Swede and have personal experience of that embassy being helpful in that area?

The fact that you say it's a 10 minute procedure suggests that you are taking the piss.  What risk is there, anyway, in opening a bank account that a letter from an embassy will mitigate?  Why would any embassy recommend to a bank that a complete stranger to them would be a suitable person to operate an account?

• Like 2

I believe it's required for a retirement visa.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/Accounts/SavingsAccounts/Pages/Default.aspx

2. Foreigner with Long-stay or Tourist Visa

• Passport
  • A Letter of Reference issued by: (One of the following)
    • Embassy or international organization
    • Customer’s home bank to Bangkok Bank via the SWIFT messaging network
    • Person acceptable to Bangkok Bank e.g. branch officer, customer, government officer or company executive
    • Educational institution located in Thailand and acceptable to the bank
    • Company that is acceptable to the bank, confirming the customer is in the process of getting a work permit

In addition, other document that shows the name of the customer can be used as a supported document besides the documents mentioned above i.e. a document showing the ownership of real estate in Thailand such as a unit in a condominium.

Edited by Ruffian Dick

5 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Nonsense, if you have money and you know local people, no problem at all.

OK, tell us where and who.

Simply not true for a guy like the OP from Sweden on a tourist Visa to walk into a bank and get an account.

But, if you "you have money" like you said must mean you brown enveloped your way into getting an account.

So what, any agency can do that nothing special.....

New rules they say.

Good Luck.

Where in Pattaya did you go?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

OK, tell us where and who.

Simply not true for a guy like the OP from Sweden on a tourist Visa to walk into a bank and get an account.

But, if you "you have money" like you said must mean you brown enveloped your way into getting an account.

So what, any agency can do that nothing special.....

Yes, if you have no connections you have to walk into several banks and you will find one who will accept your money.

No, not a brown envelop, just put enough in the bank account.

You're joking, right, which embassies will do that?  The British Embassy won't, that's for sure.  Maybe you're a Swede and have personal experience of that embassy being helpful in that area?

The fact that you say it's a 10 minute procedure suggests that you are taking the piss.  What risk is there, anyway, in opening a bank account that a letter from an embassy will mitigate?  Why would any embassy recommend to a bank that a complete stranger to them would be a suitable person to operate an account?
Actually bangkok bank showed me a copy of a letter that I needed from my embassy so you are totally wrong.
  • Like 2