Opening a Bank account in. Bangkok

9 hours ago, Just Weird said:

You're joking, right, which embassies will do that?  The British Embassy won't, that's for sure.  Maybe you're a Swede and have personal experience of that embassy being helpful in that area?

The fact that you say it's a 10 minute procedure suggests that you are taking the piss.  What risk is there, anyway, in opening a bank account that a letter from an embassy will mitigate?  Why would any embassy recommend to a bank that a complete stranger to them would be a suitable person to operate an account?

Hi Just Weird,

I have been residing in Thailand for 7 years and married for 3 here.

I have a few bank accounts with Bangkok Bank, Kasikorn and KrungSri.

According to the OP, he wants to get a bank account with a Tourist visa.

Most banks except for Bangkok Bank will not allow any opening of bank account with tourist visa.

I am not quoting or giving misinformation out of thin air.

I have enquire and through my own experience with the banks here offered the information as per adviced by Bangkok Bank.

Letter of recommendation for purpose of opening bank account is not that hard to aquired from your own embassy. 

You can kindly call up Bangkok Bank if you like to ask. 

Or the information is freely available here.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/SpecialServices/ForeignCustomers/Pages/Account.aspx

PS. Letter of Recommendation is really only a 5 to 10mins affair. Your embassy produces a letter and you write down your reason on it and they officially sign n stamp it and voila. Thats all. 

Screenshot_20171013-141948.png

Edited by Moonmoon

2 minutes ago, Moonmoon said:

Letter of Recommendation is really only a 5 to 10mins affair. Your embassy produces a letter and you write down your reason on it and they officially sign n stamp it and voila. Thats all. 

Would this be free of cost? For reason can you say Personal?

Edited by Aditi Sharma
edit

1 minute ago, Aditi Sharma said:

I rmb it was free for me. Though different embassy might have differen rules. U might want to call them up 1st and enquire but it really should not cost u anything at all. 

For reason it does not hurt to state opening of bank account right? Cos thats what you want. 

I put it down as such to avoid any misunderstanding or further inconvienient myself. 

8 minutes ago, Aditi Sharma said:

Hi i just check the info cos it was a long time ago i forgot.

For the stautory declaration it was 120 baht and certified true copy it cost 110, so this Letter of Recommendation cost me 230baht.. yup 

10 minutes ago, Moonmoon said:

For the stautory declaration it was 120 baht and certified true copy it cost 110, so this Letter of Recommendation cost me 230baht.. yup 

Have you got a template for this reference letter? Will Word application have it? And another thing: if I haven't got a portable printer where can I get a letter printed. 

Surely there will be charges when I want to close the account. Is it possible for me to transfer the funds in this account to my Swede account online? 

Or are the funds non-repatriable? 

15 minutes ago, Moonmoon said:

Sir where can I find the text for the statutory declaration, which I guess becomes a true copy when they stamp and sign it (right?)? And if a Swede doesnt know English or Thai, where can he get help to draft these letters.

Edited by Aditi Sharma
edit

10 minutes ago, Aditi Sharma said:

And if a Swede doesnt know English or Thai, where can he get help to draft these letters.

He would do it in Swedish since that is the language accepted by his embassy where he would have his signature on it notarized. . It would then need to be translated to Thai.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Aditi Sharma said:

And another thing: if I haven't got a portable printer where can I get a letter printed. 

In most of the many internet shops.

36 minutes ago, Aditi Sharma said:

Is it possible for me to transfer the funds in this account to my Swede account online? 

It is difficult to send funds out of Thailand. The bank will all most certainly require proof of where the funds originated.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Aditi Sharma said:

Have you got a template for this reference letter? Will Word application have it? And another thing: if I haven't got a portable printer where can I get a letter printed. 

Surely there will be charges when I want to close the account. Is it possible for me to transfer the funds in this account to my Swede account online? 

The letter is supplied by the embassy. All u need is yourself, enough thai baht for the letter and your passport. 

1 hour ago, Aditi Sharma said:

Sir where can I find the text for the statutory declaration, which I guess becomes a true copy when they stamp and sign it (right?)? And if a Swede doesnt know English or Thai, where can he get help to draft these letters.

The letter of recommendation supplied by my embassy was in English and it did not need to be translated to Thai for Bangkok Bank as they accepted it in English.

But if yours is in swede I supposed you have to translate it to Thai as swede might not be an accepted language. 

Which in this case you have to get the letter of recommendation from embassy then translate it to Thai, then go back to your embassy for them to certify the translation as well. 

Depending on the cost of translation, n travelling here n there might cost you

1 minute ago, Moonmoon said:

But if yours is in swede I supposed you have to translate it to Thai as swede might not be an accepted language. 

Sir, where can I get documents translated. And how do they decide the charges, is it on a per word basis or page? Thanks

47 minutes ago, golden farang said:

When did you see sign like this last time? :laugh:

TaxiSign.jpg

With regard to banks in particular: Being from the USA, I can understand why they don't like dealing with us, because our tax-agency makes a lot of trouble for any foreign-bank that opens an account for us.  I am thankful that Bangkok Bank seems willing to do so.  I have heard the Swiss banks won't touch us.  I'm not sure how much trouble/paperwork Euro-govts create for Thai banks.

9 hours ago, InMyShadow said:
13 hours ago, Just Weird said:
You're joking, right, which embassies will do that?  The British Embassy won't, that's for sure.  Maybe you're a Swede and have personal experience of that embassy being helpful in that area?

The fact that you say it's a 10 minute procedure suggests that you are taking the piss.  What risk is there, anyway, in opening a bank account that a letter from an embassy will mitigate?  Why would any embassy recommend to a bank that a complete stranger to them would be a suitable person to operate an account?

Actually bangkok bank showed me a copy of a letter that I needed from my embassy so you are totally wrong.

So which embassy will do that?   That is what I asked you because the British Embassy doesn't provide that service, so I am not totally wrong.   I suspect you may be though.  Bangkok Bank doesn't dictate what Embassies do.

4 hours ago, Aditi Sharma said:

Gawd! you protest too much, man.  Yeah, I like to ask. 

I'm not protesting...man (...jeez), I just asked you a question, much as you do, in response to a comment.  This is a forum, remember?  So how many Swedes have you questioned, then?  None, perhaps?

4 hours ago, Moonmoon said:

Hi Just Weird,

I have been residing in Thailand for 7 years and married for 3 here.

I have a few bank accounts with Bangkok Bank, Kasikorn and KrungSri.

According to the OP, he wants to get a bank account with a Tourist visa.

Most banks except for Bangkok Bank will not allow any opening of bank account with tourist visa.

I am not quoting or giving misinformation out of thin air.

I have enquire and through my own experience with the banks here offered the information as per adviced by Bangkok Bank.

Letter of recommendation for purpose of opening bank account is not that hard to aquired from your own embassy. 

You can kindly call up Bangkok Bank if you like to ask. 

Or the information is freely available here.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/SpecialServices/ForeignCustomers/Pages/Account.aspx

PS. Letter of Recommendation is really only a 5 to 10mins affair. Your embassy produces a letter and you write down your reason on it and they officially sign n stamp it and voila. Thats all. 

Screenshot_20171013-141948.png

I understand what you said but what I am disputing is not what BBL would like to have from an applicant but your assertion that Embassies will provide a recommendation letter for a stranger to open an account.  Just because it is an option that Bangkok Bank will accept doesn't mean an Embassy will provide it.  In your experience which Embassies will do it?  I know of none.

52 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

I'm not protesting...man (...jeez), I just asked you a question, much as you do, in response to a comment.  This is a forum, remember?  So how many Swedes have you questioned, then?  None, perhaps?

I have spent time in Sweden. Maybe they do communicate differently elsewhere, I dont know. Feel free, am very tolerant :)

1 hour ago, Just Weird said:

I understand what you said but what I am disputing is not what BBL would like to have from an applicant but your assertion that Embassies will provide a recommendation letter for a stranger to open an account.  Just because it is an option that Bangkok Bank will accept doesn't mean an Embassy will provide it.  In your experience which Embassies will do it?  I know of none.

Which sentence or where did I say it is a requirement from embassies to the indivduals? 

I stated the requirements of Bangkok Bank and how to get a savings account with them for sure. Thats all.

I did not dictate anything at all. I think you are too fast to presume here.

From my experience, Singapore embassy gave a quite a few Letter of recommendations to open all my saving accounts in Thailans. Thank you.

PS. I have read from other British Nationals here who had gotten their letter of recommendation from British embassy in TVF.

Edited by Moonmoon

16 minutes ago, Moonmoon said:

Which sentence or where did I say it is a requirement from embassies to the indivduals? 

I stated the requirements of Bangkok Bank and how to get a savings account with them for sure. Thats all.

I did not dictate anything at all. I think you are too fast to presume here.

From my experience, Singapore embassy gave a quite a few Letter of recommendations to open all my saving accounts in Thailans. Thank you.

PS. I have read from other British Nationals here who had gotten their letter of recommendation from British embassy in TVF.

What is TVF? 

22 minutes ago, Aditi Sharma said:

What is TVF? 

Yes the translation is will be done for a fee, but by an appointed trusted translator, it might take a day or 2 for em to send the documents back n forth

depending on the difficulty of your language, some can be quite ex. I rmb getting my marriage certs translated from thai to english which were quite cheap, but my friend who is german and married a Thai husband got hers from German to Thai and that cost quite a bomb.

TVF stands for Thai Visa Forum.

No I am not annoyed, i am more than happy to share my own experiences if they can in anyway benefit you or others here. That is what this forum is for. I in return have gotten help from ubonjoe and some others here too when I was still pretty green in Thailand.

Laws and regulations changes now and then. Always good to ask and be prepared than to presume and fail. 

Ask Away! 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Happy enough said:

you know exactly what it is. one day you might even contribute something useful but i sense that's a far away place. just saying. who knows. could surprise me. doubt it

Some people do not speak English as a first language which obviously includes readers as well at writers. Had the member written 'on TVF' rather than the erroneous 'in TVF' then the issue may not have occurred.

3. If possible please proofread your post first, poor grammar and spelling can make the post difficult to understand. However be aware that not every member is a native english speaker and excessive posts regarding others spelling and grammar not only hijacks the topic but is poor netiquette.

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/254949-forum-netiquette/

• Like 2