Prayut urges faster legislative process as junta due to step down in one year

webfact

Prayut urges faster legislative process as junta due to step down in one year

By THE NATION

bba29507c4c94ce8bfc0c574f9e4c0c9.jpg

Deputy Prime Minister Wissanu Krea-ngam

General Prayut Chan-o-cha yesterday met with ministers and legislators in a special meeting to discuss legislation, instructing officials to ensure that they would be finished with the work within the remaining one year as the junta is scheduled to step down.

Deputy Prime Minister Wissanu Krea-ngam said Prayut had told officials in the previous Cabinet meeting about the “road map to democracy” and the time remaining for the current regime. 

Prayut wanted to follow the progress of all the legislation, he said.

In the fourth year under the coup-installed regime, Thailand had seen about 250 laws passed and promulgated by the junta-appointed legislators, according to Wissanu.

In the three-hour meeting yesterday, Prayut said he wanted to find out how many bills each body was working on as well as how much they could accomplish in the remaining time, Wissanu said. 

Prayut had stressed that legislation must be finished before the last month of the year, considering that it must also be presented for royal endorsement, Wissanu added.

The deputy prime minister added that ministers had been instructed by Prayut in the meeting yesterday to help ensure involved officials were working efficiently. 

The Council of State reported that coordination regarding the legislation had been difficult and was taking too long, Wissanu said. 

The junta’s legislative agenda includes the controversial alien labour law, which had been objected to by employers for its severe fines of as high as Bt800,000, according to Wissanu. 

Prayut said in the meeting that legislators must listen to opinions of people affected as they revised the bill, Wissanu said.

The migrant worker law was promulgated earlier this year but the junta ordered it not be implemented for 180 days until January next year because of the controversy. Wissanu also addressed the road map and scheduled election, adding that despite the promulgation of the political parties law, the junta would enforce its ban on political activities at least until the Royal Cremation was completed. 

Wissanu said political parties would not be allowed to campaign anyway as they had to wait until a royal decree on the election was issued.

The leader of Democrat Party, Abhisit Vejjajiva, said yesterday people should stop commenting on politics during the mourning period.

Although the political ban remained in place, parties could work, for example, by reviewing member records and documents, Abhisit said. Those activities did not require political gatherings and would not violate the ban, he added.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30329155

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-10-13

3 hours ago, webfact said:

The leader of Democrat Party, Abhisit Vejjajiva, said yesterday people should stop commenting on politics during the mourning period.

Now he is commenting when people should be allowed to comment. Next he will tell when people are allowed to think and what they should think.

3 hours ago, webfact said:

I think he is getting very worried that he won't be appointed PM again, and is having a small hissy fit.

Perhaps he needs some quiet time...

I for one hope that the Dear Leader stays on! the Thai's are not now nor have they been ready for so called democracy. in the forty plus years i have been here there has been one coup after another and when they do manage to get a democratic gov't the crime goes up, the pay offs increase and the rich get away with murder. at least the dear leader has taken some action!  that's my opinion.

22 minutes ago, captspectre said:

I for one hope that the Dear Leader stays on! the Thai's are not now nor have they been ready for so called democracy. in the forty plus years i have been here there has been one coup after another and when they do manage to get a democratic gov't the crime goes up, the pay offs increase and the rich get away with murder. at least the dear leader has taken some action!  that's my opinion.

The reason democracy runs into problems here is all the coups.

The Thais are as ready for democracy as anyone else but the interminable coups kill it dead. The only times there are no coups are when the army's pet politicians are in power.

Thailand is better for having the military & Khun Prayuth Chan O Cha in charge.

Democracy doesn't work in some countries as past history has shown.

At least they control security and continue to create projects to keep the economy ticking over.  :thumbsup:

50 minutes ago, captspectre said:

So are you saying that under the various juntas the rich did not get away with murder?? You state that you have been here for over forty years (almost twice as long as me btw) but that begs the question for how many of those years have you been sober?

And yes, the dear leader has taken some action and we do give him credit for the beach chairs, footpaths and the national lottery. In fact, he's been so busy fixing those issues that minor stuff like reforming the armed forces, police, judiciary and civil service have been left on the back burner! 

1 minute ago, steven100 said:

At least they control security and continue to create projects to keep the economy ticking over.  :thumbsup:

:clap2:Thanks steven, always nice to start the morning by reading a proper troll post!

"Wissanu said political parties would not be allowed to campaign anyway as they had to wait until a royal decree on the election was issued."

This is a new one: so the parties have to wait till June to start campaigning? Gonna be tough to get the 500 members in all voting areas by November :saai:

4 minutes ago, steven100 said:

It is not a troll post. It is fact. Why do you bother living in Thailand if you dislike it so much ...  :coffee1:

Well steven, I don't dislike Thailand. On the contrary, I love the country where I have spent the last 24 years. What I do not like is a military government that takes power by force, suspends basic human rights, give themselves the mother of all amnesties and do everything in their power to make sure the old elite will retain power indefinitely.

Now steven, this is not the first time you have asked me this question so please pay attention to my answer this time around.

PS. The last time I replied to your very intelligent "if you don't like it then leave" post I asked you why you yourself didn't move while the various Shin administrations were in power. Maybe I can get an answer this time?

2 hours ago, Bob12345 said:

Now he is commenting when people should be allowed to comment. Next he will tell when people are allowed to think and what they should think.

In their own small twisted minds they seem to think it is only unelected politicians who are allowed to talk about politics.

22 minutes ago, Becker said:

Well steven, I don't dislike Thailand. On the contrary, I love the country where I have spent the last 24 years. What I do not like is a military government that takes power by force, suspends basic human rights, give themselves the mother of all amnesties and do everything in their power to make sure the old elite will retain power indefinitely.

Now steven, this is not the first time you have asked me this question so please pay attention to my answer this time around.

PS. The last time I replied to your very intelligent "if you don't like it then leave" post I asked you why you yourself didn't move while the various Shin administrations were in power. Maybe I can get an answer this time?

I admit ... I don't like the Shins as they ripped billions off the people and the economy but you don't seem to care about that.  Secondly, I put up with the Shins as I have investments here and they work fine for me. I am glad the Junta are in and hope they stay in for as long as possible.

I'm sure you'll come to like the way Thailand is managed after time ....  then again maybe not :clap2:     :)

56 minutes ago, steven100 said:

Why do you bother living in Thailand if you dislike it so much

I am both jealous and offended now Steven. And I thought I was the only one who deserved your "why bother living in Thailand" reply. Now I find there is another sleeping in our bed. :shock1:

On a more serious note.

"....instructing officials to ensure that they would be finished with the work within the remaining one year"

So what happens to all those fantasy induced 20 year plans that Prayut dreamed up which are likely to be thrown into the rubbish bin along with own his personal amnesties and restrictive civil rights and censorship laws after the mythical election?

Do these 20 plans also have to be completed within the year....... like the one about eliminating corruption?

If he does mean this, then God forbid, it must be proof enough the man has lost the plot completely.

Edited by Cadbury

3 hours ago, steven100 said:

I bet it'll be the Junta staying on ....   :intheclub:

by the powers given the military by the constitution they shoved through, the stacking of representation in legislative bodies, and safeguards ensuring almost pure veto power against troublesome elected officials that do not toe the party line, it is damn near irrelevant whether they  continue in power or step down to allow  "democratic" elections. 

I am staying for an elected government or if not a dramatic happening to rid the military and appropriate legal restitutions for the damage they have done to the economy and other criminal acts. I am also staying to see the constitution re-written with most of the 1997 constitution restored and a fully appointed upper house. I am staying to see Thailand image improve and not seen as a pariah nation with regular coups, human right abuses and an opaque separation of power. Staying for the hope that my family and generations thereafter will enjoy better democracy and better living standard that come with elected governments. 

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

lovejunta.jpg.96fd5c79f0d375d35bc00635f838660f.jpg

9 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

I am staying for an elected government or if not a dramatic happening to rid the military and appropriate legal restitutions for the damage they have done to the economy and other criminal acts. I am also staying to see the constitution re-written with most of the 1997 constitution restored and a fully appointed upper house. I am staying to see Thailand image improve and not seen as a pariah nation with regular coups, human right abuses and an opaque separation of power. Staying for the hope that my family and generations thereafter will enjoy better democracy and better living standard that come with elected governments. 

*LOL*.. your just saying this because you want to live forever no other reason to say this as to wish for something impossible to stay alive forever :smile:

But there is one good piece for you.. we have seen that criminals like YL are prosecuted for their crimes so who knows maybe they can do the same for others too. One never expected the rich powerful Shins to be procecuted for their crimes.. but its happening. Its like a miracle that finally they are held accountable. The old cases against Thaksin revived. Finally justice is coming to Thailand. So who knows after this they might do the same for others. 

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

And i am sure there own economy is doing really well what the general worth 600 Million. Maybe he wants to spend some because he is no spring chicken and Thailand is in a down hill slide

1 hour ago, quandow said:

Color me over-optimistic but his actions are speaking louder than his words. For better or worse, a country should have a republic (true democracies don't work) which allows them to dictate their direction.

Sure, if that republic does, in fact allow the population, truly represented, as a whole to dictate their direction but according to the World Bank, in the Republic of Congo for example, nearly half the population lives in poverty despite the country being one of Africa's main oil producers. 

You can name a system anything; what really counts is whether or not that system truly represents the way in which the majority of the citizens wish to be governed; corruption being the main obstacle in delivering such a system including the corruption of indoctrination and preventing or discouraging children from obtaining a good education. 

There's also, I believe, something in the saying, 'the people get the government they deserve'; if, for example, the Thai people accept the money they're offered (vote buying) at election time, they are condoning a corrupt system.

I suppose any system can work as in being satisfactory to the majority if, as a system, it satisfies the 'general will' of the majority of the people (as in Rousseau's theory) and is reasonable and not corrupt.  One aspect of that theory as I remember it and to some a sticking point, was that everyone if they wished to live in that society was compelled to conform to its edicts as in one's rights under the system carried with them responsibilities.     

52 minutes ago, HooHaa said:

by the powers given the military by the constitution they shoved through, the stacking of representation in legislative bodies, and safeguards ensuring almost pure veto power against troublesome elected officials that do not toe the party line, it is damn near irrelevant whether they  continue in power or step down to allow  "democratic" elections. 

I think they are going to be told F off to be fair