The most common scams targeting Australians in Thailand

rooster59

The most common scams targeting Australians in Thailand

Lauren McMah

5cd00ff62349fbac86821dcd18943fa1.png

The couple in the tuktuk, which they believe was part of the scam. Picture: Dan BolandSource:Supplied

AUSSIE pilot Dan Boland thinks he’s savvy about travel scams, but on a recent trip to Thailand, con artists got him good.

WHEN Australian tourist Dan Boland was approached by a friendly stranger outside a Bangkok temple, he had no idea he was about to fall victim to an elaborate scam that would trick him out of thousands of dollars.

The Hong Kong-based airline pilot would later realise he’d been swindled in a clever “attractions closed” scam. It’s one of a number of ways cunning con artists are preying on Western tourists in Thailand, according to insurance company Travel with Jane.

Mr Boland said he and his wife were approached by an official-looking man as they were entering Bangkok’s famous Wat Pho temple on their last day in the city back in May.

“The man said, ‘Sorry, no, you can’t go in because the monks are praying’, and I thought, oh well, I can’t argue with that,” Mr Boland told news.com.au.

Full story: http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-advice/money/the-most-common-scams-targeting-australians-in-thailand/news-story/4e4f890407d8120beb5fe3707a22732e

NEWS.com.au: 2017-10-14

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It can happen to anyone who is new to the city.

One scam that particularly annoyed me, ..happened to some Lao friends of mine.  They were coming back to Thailand from visiting friends in Laos.  On the Thai side, while waiting for a bus, two uniformed cops held them up for money.  They demanded Bt.5,000 for each person.  The Lao folks were legal, but felt threatened by the aggressive money-takers.  The Lao didn't have that much money, so the cops took all the money the Lao had:   About 11,000 baht for 5 people (3 adults, 2 kids).   The cops weren't cops - they had just donned cop uniforms.   A real cop was standing about 10 meters away, but wouldn't budge, when called upon by the victims.  

Pure robbery, and sanctioned by the real cop who was standing nearby.

Edited by boomerangutang

That 'attraction closed' scam has been running outside the Grand Palace for years; they offer a boat trip or tuk tuk tour 'while you wait for it to re-open. 

I don't know why the Foreign Offices of various countries don't highlight these scams on their so called travel advice (FCO please note); also the recent advice that smoking is banned on Thailand's beaches

I love it I always give the scammer an extra few minutes of my time or anyone trying to push sell to me. I make a point of it to the Mrs and at the end politely say no thank you and walk away. Not just tourists but Thais also get pressure sold to, pretty much everywhere. even big C buy 2 deals are sometimes more expensive than if you buy 1. Common practice here.  Have a look at the deodorant buy 2 deals next time in big c. 

haha, not as savy as he thinks he is. actually he appears the complete opposite.

and what about that headline? so tuk tuk drivers 'target' australians? could the 'journalist' explain exactly how and why these scam artists are targeting aussies as opposed to tourists in general... that would be an interesting story.

“I travel the world and I always think I’m not going to get scammed, but this was so intricate and these are some really skilled people,” said Mr Boland, the founder of travel deals site Holidayers.com.

Really? Like one of the most infamous scams out there, on a par with Nigerian 419 scams. Almost like they set it up for the story. Hard to believe an apparently switched on couple like this could fall for such a well known hoary old scam; I mean, they must have to blow the cobwebs off before they use it. 

Fell into same scam about 20 years ago. Knew something about gems, most importantly that reselling something you bought for any retail price to make a profit was unlikely to say the least ? looked like pretty lousy sapphires too. Didn’t realize at the time what was happening but felt wrong. Saw an article in the Post a week later about the exact same scammers. Just don’t buy! 

That scam at the Wat Pho is at least 20 years old now, the authorities do nothing to stop it. I even reported it at the reception of the temple but that dumb girl acted like she couldn't understand me at all.

This gives Thailand a very bad name abroad but the scammers must be protected by a higher hand...

Well, this is Thailand....nothing new about this.

1 hour ago, clifric said:

That 'attraction closed' scam has been running outside the Grand Palace for years; they offer a boat trip or tuk tuk tour 'while you wait for it to re-open. 

I don't know why the Foreign Offices of various countries don't highlight these scams on their so called travel advice (FCO please note); also the recent advice that smoking is banned on Thailand's beaches

In Europe everybody knows about that scam, it has been on tv filmed by hidden camera's and all.

But the young generations seem to not know it, so it better should be broadcasted on tv as well...bad luck for Thailand, they should have fixed this long time ago already. Mr Prayuth also doesn't do much me thinks.

3 minutes ago, Thian said:

That scam at the Wat Pho is at least 20 years old now, the authorities do nothing to stop it. I even reported it at the reception of the temple but that dumb girl acted like she couldn't understand me at all.

This gives Thailand a very bad name abroad but the scammers must be protected by a higher hand...

Well, this is Thailand....nothing new about this.

What can authorities do ? The only (possibly) illegal part is telling people the original temple is closed etc, when its not. Other than that, its not illegal to recommend a temple/shop, arrange transport etc.

I recall 20 years ago the same thing, we went on the free tuk tuk ride, had a free coke at the gem shop then left.

The forum is extremely slow again...oh what else is new...every day same same.

They can arrest that official looking guy who opens taxidoors outside the palace or temples. It isn't closed so that's lese majeste.

And the goldshops /gemvendors are also fake, it was all on video which i can't post here cause it's in foreign language....the reporter even went to the nearest policestation to show his video and suddenly the policeman run away...all filmed and broadcasted on national tv...

This was in the biggest goldshop of BKK...they offered money back when the reporter showed them his video's but he didn't care for that...just wanted to film it...they are so bad and ruining the "good 555" reputation of this country.

This is an old scam...... However if you don't know....... You don't know! But got to say This scam is the 'daddy' of Thai scams.......... Scam 101! I did think everyone knew this one...

There are degrees of being scammed and I really do think anyone who says they have never been scammed, even out of just a few hundred Baht, is dumb....... Not dumb because they were scammed, but because they never, even after the event knew they were ripped off. If you have ever been to Thailand....... You have at some point been 'hit-up' that is a fact!

Been living here around 11 years, and yes I've learned a lot, thankfully not to much at my expense. One thing that has kept me out of getting ripped off bad is I follow the saying; If something is to good to be true....... It is and the other thing....... I don't know everything and never to proud to just walk away. 

25 minutes ago, Thian said:

In Thailand everyone gets a cut. That's why the dishonesty continues.

2 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

Stop known scammers from loitering outside tourist attractions and harassing tourists? Doesnt seem very hard to me.

They do it at the temples and royal palaces.....that's even worse in my opinion......

My parents still tell everybody about the "grand palace is closed" scam back home in Europe...they still can't believe the authorities don't stop it...it;s always good for a laugh on birthday parties...

9 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

Pretty much scary to have such a well educated pilot. I hope he's always making the right decisions in the air....

Pilots from Air asia are much more scary, they seriously can't speak a word english.. so how can they communicate with the air-towers?

14 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

Pretty much scary to have such a well educated pilot. I hope he's always making the right decisions in the air....

He's an excellent pilot.  Except for the time when the control tower at the airport he was landing at told him it was closed and diverted him to the car park of a shopping mall, where the entire plane load of passengers were sold overpriced junk and made to pay the parking fees for the plane before being allowed to leave.

The muppet runs a travel business

“I travel the world and I always think I’m not going to get scammed, but this was so intricate and these are some really skilled people,” said Mr Boland, the founder of travel deals site Holidayers.com.

scary thought that he is a hardened expert on travel....

what a muppet.....hate to hear what’s going to happen when he meets the real pros......he should stay away from travel for a while.......better just to stay close to the local shops and buy lollipops from them.