Venice of the East - massive deluge plunges Bangkok into chaos

rooster59

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Following very heavy rainfall in the night many roads were impassable to smaller vehicles.

and water management officials, apparently trying to justify their jobs (Not Their Own Performance in them) are telling us 'all is well'

47 minutes ago, YetAnother said:

and water management officials, apparently trying to justify their jobs (Not Their Own Performance in them) are telling us 'all is well'

It's only a drop of water; hardly flooding!

On 10/14/2017 at 9:33 AM, ExpatOilWorker said:

The areas north of Bangkok are already flooded, more is running off from central and northern Thailand and we are just in the beginning of the rainy season. Could be a wet few months to come.

Is this a wind-up? The rainy season is about to end. The dry season is from November to June. Bangkok used to be the Venice of the East until the idiots filled in all the canals, that drained excess rains to the ocean, with concrete.

4 minutes ago, Timebandit said:

Wikipedia states that Bangkok's elevation (above high tide) is one meter. So where does this mystical drainage tunnel direct the water? Does the discharge end of the tunnel have a stairway perhaps? 

They are not mystical and they help - they lead to pumping stations that lift it into the river.  It is like a giant hose for the pumps.  I well recall days and weeks of rain flooding here before the drainage system was improved.

Edited by lopburi3

Developers inexplicably continue to build new high-rises all over Bangkok despite the fact that this city of 10 million souls is sinking so fast, due to the combined effect of climate change and rising seas, that much of it could be underwater in less than two decades.

While the get-rich-quick Johnnies may be excused for sticking their heads in the sand - or rather the clay from which Big Mango originally sprouted - the government clearly cannot afford to do so. Time to find a suitable site for for a new capital city is running out - fast..

A list of possible contenders has been doing the rounds, but few of them really fit the bill. May I humbly suggest (as a local resident of 20 years) that the rapidly-expanding Gulf neighbouring resorts of Hua Hin and Cha Am, some 230 kilometers south of the present capital deserve serious consideration.

Years ago, when the late King was regularly in residence at the Klai Kang Won Palace on the northern outskirtsof Hua Hin, there was enthusiastic talk of merging the town with its smaller neighbour to create a splendid new Royal city. 

In recent years, both have been expanding rapidly, due to an increasing influx of international tourists and well-heeled Bangkok citizens eager to buy a competitively-priced bolthole for their families when Bangkok finally succumbs to the rising floodwaters.

Hua Hin and Cha Am, a 20 minute car drive apart along the Petchkasem Road that is the main highway to Malaysia, are already physically linked by an umbilical cord of ribbon development comprising not just residential resorts - including one boasting10,000 residential units - but a plethora of shops, offices and business premises. This rapid expansion has led to consequential upgrades in the local infrastructure.

With plenty of land still available at affordable prices along the 23 kilometer coastline plain on which the towns sit, plus an airport, good road links and plans for a new double-track north-south rail link in the pipeline, the area has a lot going for it as the solution to Bangkok's upcoming refugee crisis.

A Royal Resort and a new capital city rolled into one. . . what a fitting destiny this would be for the Royals' favourite seaside town which proudly calls itself "Queen of Tranquility".

Edited by Krataiboy
error

12 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

A Royal Resort and a new capital city rolled into one. . . what a fitting destiny this would be for the Royals' favourite seaside town which proudly calls itself "Queen of Tranquility".

Absoutely! And just a ferry ride to the real capital of <snip>.

1 hour ago, Jeremy50 said:

Is this a wind-up? The rainy season is about to end. The dry season is from November to June. Bangkok used to be the Venice of the East until the idiots filled in all the canals, that drained excess rains to the ocean, with concrete.

The rain season runs from 25th April to 15th July. Then a month of monsoon season. Rain season back on 16th August to end of October.

Last 25 years of data.

Edited by owl sees all

Ok, fine if you look for category, which I don't. Point was it is opened up in a general Thai Visa Notification email not specifically stating direct to Bangkok News. So it is in general to me, and the poster can make a reference to rainy season in Thailand if he chose to even if he is reading BKK news. . 

Ok, fine if you look for category, which I don't. Point was it is opened up in a general Thai Visa Notification email not specifically stating direct to Bangkok News. So it is in general to me, and the poster can make a reference to rainy season in Thailand if he chose to even if he is reading BKK news. . 

So,let me get this right... You say my statement is incorrect, then when I show the evidence you then say you don't actually look so it is still incorrect? btw the screenshot was taken following the Thai visa notification email. Have a nice day

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Most of this could be avoided if they cleaned the Canals and cleared the main drains, Put some sluice gates in  while they're at it, some that open one way.The drains outside our House in Sahmut Prakan have not moved for the last 6 years,

15 hours ago, Thongkorn said:

Most of this could be avoided if they cleaned the Canals and cleared the main drains, Put some sluice gates in  while they're at it, some that open one way.The drains outside our House in Sahmut Prakan have not moved for the last 6 years,

if yudrain the delta - Bangkok sinks.

4 hours ago, The manic said:

Another reason to live in Pattaya.

The flash floods in Pattaya can get really violent because of the inclined surface. The most dangerous months for Pattaya are September, October and November. However flash floods can happen in any month, especially in the rainy season. As you can see, there is more on the way.

On 10/14/2017 at 9:33 AM, ExpatOilWorker said:

The areas north of Bangkok are already flooded, more is running off from central and northern Thailand and we are just in the beginning of the rainy season. Could be a wet few months to come.

Nah !! The Rainy Season is All But Over.....

Perhaps the Bangkok authorities would find it cost effective to dredge the river to remove 1,000's of years of built-up silt and accumulated garbage!,  Perhaps  building something similar to the Red River Floodway in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada to divert some or most of the water around the city.  https://www.gov.mb.ca/mit/wms/rrf/index.html

1 minute ago, Prairieboy said:

Perhaps the Bangkok authorities would find it cost effective to dredge the river to remove 1,000's of years of built-up silt and accumulated garbage!,  Perhaps  building something similar to the Red River Floodway in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada to divert some or most of the water around the city.  https://www.gov.mb.ca/mit/wms/rrf/index.html

Suspect the river bottom is at sea level now.  This is not Winnipeg at 239m elevation but Bangkok at 1.5m.

On 23/10/2017 at 12:24 PM, lopburi3 said:

Suspect the river bottom is at sea level now.  This is not Winnipeg at 239m elevation but Bangkok at 1.5m.

Next time you go to DM airport and have to get the bus to the plane have a look at the levels at the base of some of the large concrete pillars. You will notice they appear to be rising slightly compared to the concrete taxi ways and concrete roads.

I don't know the mm or inches per year but I still reckon the whole city in dropping over the years.

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

Next time you go to DM airport and have to get the bus to the plane have a look at the levels at the base of some of the large concrete pillars. You will notice they appear to be rising slightly compared to the concrete taxi ways and concrete roads.

I don't know the mm or inches per year but I still reckon the whole city in dropping over the years.

Yes roads do not have supporting piles and the Bangkok mud does lower the surface over time.  The road in front of Siam Center was an excellent example of this even decades ago as steps were pulled away from sidewalk a good foot in places.   

4 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Yes roads do not have supporting piles and the Bangkok mud does lower the surface over time.  The road in front of Siam Center was an excellent example of this even decades ago as steps were pulled away from sidewalk a good foot in places.   

At one time I worked in an office on Srinacharin

( spelling? ) road and there was a clear 2 feet of space under the building that had originally been on ground level.