I'm going out to see a man about a dog...

Deserted

I expect that there is but first you need to say what it means. I think that it is an answer to the question; Where are you going? ไปไหน if the answer is; That's my business/ I am not saying/ Mind your own business then มีธุระ says that. ไม่ใช่ธุระของคุณ , ไม่บอก might be more direct.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Well, we use it to hide what we are really doing. It's a form of deception but a very subtle one. 

Instead of telling someone you are going out to do something that you don't want them to know about, we can say 'I'm going out to see a man about a dog'. So does Thai have an equivalent, what is it they say if they don't want someone to know what they have gone out to do. Again its subtle, maybe 'I've gone out to see a man about a buffalo?' 

2 hours ago, tgeezer said:

I expect that there is but first you need to say what it means. I think that it is an answer to the question; Where are you going? ไปไหน if the answer is; That's my business/ I am not saying/ Mind your own business then มีธุระ says that. ไม่ใช่ธุระของคุณ , ไม่บอก might be more direct.

Yes agreed but there must be something at least idiomatic or more subtle. 

David's reply prompted me to look up ไปยิงกระต่าย and see that there are two euphonisms used for urinating or defecating. The other one is ไปเด็ดดอกไม้ . Shoooting a rabbit is done standing and picking flowers is done squatting down. These may work but I feel that they are more equivalent to "number one" and "number two" in English.
As you can tell it isn't easy to generate matching idioms, there must be many since so many people speak English but they are unlikely to be universal in my opinion.

27 minutes ago, tgeezer said:

David's reply prompted me to look up ไปยิงกระต่าย and see that there are two euphonisms used for urinating or defecating. The other one is ไปเด็ดดอกไม้ . Shoooting a rabbit is done standing and picking flowers is done squatting down. These may work but I feel that they are more equivalent to "number one" and "number two" in English.
As you can tell it isn't easy to generate matching idioms, there must be many since so many people speak English but they are unlikely to be universal in my opinion.

Yes for sure. Thanks for the pointers over  ไปยิงกระต่าย  and ไปเด็ดดอกไม้ . I've noted them.

Yes for sure. Thanks for the pointers over  ไปยิงกระต่าย  and ไปเด็ดดอกไม้ . I've noted them.
In my life experience, I've never heard a woman say 'I'm going to see a man about a dog'.
I may be wrong, but seems to be a male thing, so I think the 'shooting rabbits' is more correct.
I think a typical place you see this is when the car stops on the side of the road and the males get out to have a piddle, or shoot a rabbit.
If you're at a party, and you need to go behind a bush, then probably this expression could be used, but I've not heard it used with a group in a house, this is usually 'bort chee'.

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

I agree with you, although we must admit that the euphomism ห้องน้ำ is universal now, fundementally Thai is much more forthright. ห้องนำ้ I see as water closet, ห้องส้วม > lavatory (?) สูขา the spoken word > lav. (?)
After eating at the golf clubs my two friends head for the loo and one of them always asks/says? ฉี่ไหม . At first I was surprised but guess that it is the way it is with them, sharing! What does ‘bort’ say?

Ah! I see. I have only heard ปวดท้องขี้ ปวกท้องฉี่ I think that I have learnt to accept that parlance defines the differences we encounter, ปวดท้อง is the short version in my case, ปวดฉี่ in your’s and carlyai’s .

On 14/10/2560 at 8:56 PM, Deserted said:

Well, we use it to hide what we are really doing. It's a form of deception but a very subtle one. 

Instead of telling someone you are going out to do something that you don't want them to know about, we can say 'I'm going out to see a man about a dog'. So does Thai have an equivalent, what is it they say if they don't want someone to know what they have gone out to do. Again its subtle, maybe 'I've gone out to see a man about a buffalo?' 

I can‘t find one Deserted, there may not be a standard one. I recommend you make a light-hearted mysterious remark, ie ไม่บอกดีกว่า- mai bork dee kwa ( I would rather not say) or simply take the piss -ไปหาเมียใหม่- pai ha mia mai ( going to look for a new wife)

3 minutes ago, Deserted said:

I wonder if Thailand will ever have a profanisaurus like England has courtesy of Viz. That would sell a few copies.

I had a student 10 years ago ( now a lawyer with DTAC) who wrote a book of English swear words and phrases and translated them all into Thai. I wondered about  the benefit of it but he said Thais were often confused about the different uses of all the 4 letter words. Our  lessons were quite bizarre, me explaining the difference between slut, slag, tart and whore etc!  

1 minute ago, bannork said:

I had a student 10 years ago ( now a lawyer with DTAC) who wrote a book of English swear words and phrases and translated them all into Thai. I wondered about  the benefit of it but he said Thais were often confused about the different uses of all the 4 letter words. Our  lessons were quite bizarre, me explaining the difference between slut, slag, tart and whore etc! 

I was asked what the word 'chav' means a while back. Not easy to explain.

17 minutes ago, Deserted said:

Something like, "I'm off out to see some antique smartphones' or soemthing.

Sarcasm or dry humour will only work if immediately understood, otherwise you end up explaining the phrase and the whole point of it is lost. I thing your best bet is to don a pair of earphones, put on some loud rock and calmly walk out the door, oblivious to any human intervention.

On 10/15/2017 at 9:26 AM, tgeezer said:

Close.  ไปยิงกระต่าย is the euphemism for male urination.  ไปเด็ดดอกไม้ is the euphemism for female urination.

Quite difficult 555. I used to say '@#ing hell alot', because I am Australian and that's what we do. One day something happened and I said it, where apon the Mrs piped up 'well you go and @k in hell'.

I was taken back by this and asked her what she meant, and she said 'well you're always telling me to @# in hell, so you can do it too.'

Laughter was not the required response from me, but I explained that it wasn't about her or hell, it's just an expression that I use. We both ended up laughing.

We've been married about 28 years, so she must have been putting up with that expression a lot. [emoji21]

ไปไหนมา: สามวาสองศอก is an idiom / proverb about a guy who just got a new boat, and whenever a neighbor ask, in a glee to show off  his new pride and joy, presumed that anyone would be asking about his shiny new boat then replied three yards and two feet regardless of the question

in use, the phrase denotes asking one thing and replying something else, nonsense. 

if you reply to any unwanted question with สามวาสองศอก most people would get the gist that you want them to f off

On October 14, 2560 BE at 8:56 PM, Deserted said:

I have to see a man about a horse... was how I heard it... but I thought it meant more like, I have to go take a piss... 

I guess a Thai would say Pie tee-o if they wanted to not reveal an actual destination.. 

I have to see a man about a horse... was how I heard it... but I thought it meant more like, I have to go take a piss... 

I guess a Thai would say Pie tee-o if they wanted to not reveal an actual destination.. 
No that's for the trip to the Karaoke or other girlfriend.
Gotta do my homework is another one.
my transliteration is hopeless but ' phy tan kan baan'.

45 minutes ago, carlyai said:

No that's for the trip to the Karaoke or other girlfriend.
Gotta do my homework is another one.
my transliteration is hopeless but ' phy tan kan baan'.

Only time i ever heard tom ngaan baan used is my school girl niece when she actually has homework... 

That makes a lot of sense Capt. Haddock. I will have to have another look at the Pantip discussion, I seem to have got the wrong impression.

Edit: It would appear that I have altered the meaning somewhat!

Only time i ever heard tom ngaan baan used is my school girl niece when she actually has homework... 
Next time you leave the house for a trip into town on your own, just tell your Mrs before you go in Thai that you're going to do your homework. See what the response is. [emoji3]