Foreign Ministry Cancels Thaksin's Diplomatic Passport

george

These guys are out to hurt Thaksin at the expence of hurting their country.They must be having problems to do this.

It's a pity that they don't hold their country first.

If you refer to the recent foreign ownership law, it's a misunderstanding - the law does not apply retroactively, Shin sale will be judged according to the old laws. They plugged the loophole for the FUTURE, it doesn't help them with getting Thaksin in anyway.

So they are not going to force the Singapore government to change the ownership structure of the company?

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These guys are out to hurt Thaksin at the expence of hurting their country.They must be having problems to do this.

If you refer to the recent foreign ownership law, it's a misunderstanding - the law does not apply retroactively, Shin sale will be judged according to the old laws. They plugged the loophole for the FUTURE, it doesn't help them with getting Thaksin in anyway.

So they are not going to force the Singapore government to change the ownership structure of the company?

Well, the truth is that this particular issue really hasn't been aired.. The Singaporeans are not known for rolling over and adopting the 'mai pen rai' attitude when it comes to business.

This part of the saga could run and run! :o

The removal of the diplomatic passport serves to belittle him among the Thai people.

He may lose face with those that already do not like the man, like the city folk, but it also may be seen by the majority of Thais that voted for him in the countryside as just another way the Military and the Government is targeting him and trying to hold on to power. It may have been better to have left him alone until they actually had some form of substantial evidence and a charge against him, if he comes back to Thailand and happens to win any single case, it will be bad news for the junta. The General in charge also has continually said Thaksin cannot come back to Thailand and that alone will probably make it very easy for him to travel around as he's been deposed by a coup a in essence has no country to go back to. You will probably find it is not hard for him to gain asylum or entry to almost any country he wants, charges or no charges.

You will probably find that the US will allow Thaksin and his family to live there passports or no passports / charges or no charges as they did with Marcos.

Edited by lukamar

i thought he was in china now?

ANyway, he'd now need visa to enter the UK.

And he'd have to prove he has funds (which he has stashed away illegaly), and that he has "ample reason" to return to thailand!!!

I wonder if he'll write a "sick buffalo" letter to Tony B.?

i thought he was in china now?

ANyway, he'd now need visa to enter the UK.

And he'd have to prove he has funds (which he has stashed away illegaly), and that he has "ample reason" to return to thailand!!!

I wonder if he'll write a "sick buffalo" letter to Tony B.?

Great news the govt. have revoked his D. P/P Why did it take them so long? Fiddling while Rome burns syndrome I suspect.

As regards the sick buffalo quip. Sure thaksin would need a UK visa. A visitors visa would be easy. On arrival in the UK all he need do is to say to officials 'I seek asylum'. He could then get Income support, and housing benefits.! Just on the basis of Thailands over strict rules on Les Majeste (the political tool par excellence) he would have his case granted.What a scenario eh?

Edited by Hugh Jarse

what a hash

the present regime are going to make taxin look good if they are not very carefull from now on.

if taxin keeps quiet, then regime are going to look like vindictive little children that will stop at nothing to get thier way, and belief in them will whain, if it hasn't sterted to already.

Some good news for a change.

Wondering what the good news is? That dictators show theirr real face? What were these incompetent troop thinking? We cancel a pasport and Thaksin will have trouble travelling? They still will rollout the red carpet. The man has enough money and is welcome anywhere. Something our finest men in uniform cannot claim, they are still and rightfully seen as lacking legitimacy in the West.

It is just another way to divert the attention of the mismanagement of the economy and the situation in the South by the man who is in charge of the South for the last 2,5 years.

All dictators are afraoid of people who were democratically chosen. The reason that ou man of the year was elected in a poll conducted in JUST 17 provinces is because Thaksin would still get 60% plus of the votes when there were elections. Never mind your good news show...

You cannot have your British citizenship status downgraded

unquote

yes but you can have your right of abode revoked - please do your homework or read what I said more carefully

this happened to a born and bred cockney brit living in Nigeria for 30 years. They got fed up with him because he "lost" his passport for a second time in a year (genuinely stolen btw) and i saw what they gave him as a replacement. It looked identlical except for the small print British commonwealth subject

According to Wikipedia the 2006 Nationality Act did indeed give the Secretary of State authority to revoke British Nationality or right of abode but I can't see a category of British Commonwealth subject. The case sounds strange and your friend should take it further. If his right of abode was revoked, there should an order signed by the Home Secretary and a reason given and it would be something he could challenge in an English court.

All dictators are afraoid of people who were democratically chosen. The reason that ou man of the year was elected in a poll conducted in JUST 17 provinces is because Thaksin would still get 60% plus of the votes when there were elections. Never mind your good news show...

Thaksin has shown before that he's Teflon coated and slippery as sin. The Junta and the government are scared to death that if he comes back and somehow manages to get back in power there will not be a rock big enough to hide under for any of them, anywhere. Overthrowing an elected government, even a caretaker one, is treasonable even if the over-throwers give themselves immunity and they all know it. They thought it would be easy to get him; but it's proved a much harder task than they anticipated and if they can't find, or invent, something to pin on him, guess who will be running the country after the next election and who will be in exile.

Passports from countries like Belize that sell them to wealthy individuals are valid travel documents. The problem is that developed countries usually require visas from nationals of these countries. Definitely worth having has a back up in case his normal Thai passport gets revokes but no guarantee of hassle free travel. Being a citizen of a banana republic without extradition treaty with Thailand could provide a useful bolt hole.

On 21 May, 2002 the British Overseas Territories Act came into force and all existing British Overseas Territories Citizens (BOTC) (with the exception of those deriving their citizenship from a connection with the Sovereign Base Areas of Cyprus) automatically became British Citizens. They are not, therefore, subject to UK immigration control. This does not apply to those who acquired BOTC status by registration or naturalisation after 21 May 2002.

BVI where he has some companies exist befor 2002 so he has probleley a British pasport.

Dragon.

Being a still a British colony the BVI can't sell citizenship or British passports. They only sell company registrations. Citizenship requires lengthy residence there. Independent countries in the Caribbean that do sell passports include St Kitts and Nevis, Dominican Republic and Belize. Some South American countries have "accelerated citizen" schemes too. The trick would be to find a country that offers relatively visa free travel and has no extradition treaty with Thailand.

Well, the truth is that this particular issue really hasn't been aired.. The Singaporeans are not known for rolling over and adopting the 'mai pen rai' attitude when it comes to business.

This part of the saga could run and run! :D

IMO, the Singaporeans are about as tough as Asians go.They have 'face' as big as you can get.They also have a ton of 'powder and shot' behind them.temasek are only worth about USD80 billion in investments. :o

It's about time! The man did more to destroy Thailands image worldwide than one could have imagined.

FM cancel ousted premier and wife's diplomatic passports

BANGKOK: -- The Foreign Ministry has revoked diplomatic passports of deposed Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra and his wife, Khunying Pojaman, after an investigation concluded the former premier has been engaging in political activities while in exile, a senior Foreign Ministry official said Wednesday.

The ministry has also instructed all of its embassies not to facilitate Thaksin's travels and visits, said deputy Foreign Ministry's spokesman Kiatthikhun Chartprasert.

The move came after months of debate among top government officials, as well as a growing call from the public, over whether Thaksin's diplomatic passport should be revoked to curb his movement and activities abroad.

"Taking into consideration the appropriateness and security concern, the diplomatic passports of Thaksin and wife have been revoked since December 31, 2006," Kiatthikhun said.

Thaksin, however, is permitted to continue to carry an ordinary Thai passport that will enabled him to travel abroad but would not be as convenient than the diplomatic one with red cover. With exception of Asean members, a number of countries abroad required a pre-approved visa for Thai passport holders.

The idea of revoking Thaksin's passport surfaced almost immediately after he was ousted in September 19, 2006.

Thaksin has been visiting a number of neighbouring countries, including China, Japan and Indonesia, as well as Hong Kong, where he believed to have met some of his close aids.

Suspicious of him plotting a political comeback immediately surfaced and kicked off a round of debate among the coup leaders, diplomats and senior officials.

Foreign Ministry had consistently downplayed the demand on the ground that all former prime ministers and foreign ministers of Thailand were permitted to hold on to their diplomatic passport for life.

The junta accused Thaksin of orchestrating what they called "under current" to create trouble for the people in the power.

The issue was raised at the Parliamentarian debate when Deputy Foreign Ministry Sawanit Kongsiri informed the National Legislative Assembly in closed session that the ministry has already terminated the diplomatic passports of Thaksin and his wife.

--The Nation 2006-01-10

It's about time! The man did more to destroy Thailands image worldwide than one could have imagined.

The present government seems though poised on outdoing him in this aspect, and are doing an excellent job there right now. :o

Yep and in a very short space of time too....

Agreed!

The present government seems though poised on outdoing him in this aspect, and are doing an excellent job there right now. :o

I admired the guy actually :D

He helped the poor, introduced free (allmost) health care, housing projects for the poor, mega infrastructure projects (long over due).

And let us not forget, As much as the junta wants to hang Taksin, they have not produced one shred of evidence that he acted in any way ilegally.

hi ..

i agree....

since he left things have gone downhill..... fast !...

lets see what happens next.. but the current government seems to be more interested in restrictions and protectionism than expanding the economy... and creating wealth...

he was simply too clever .. too liberal ... and too rich for most packpackers, expats and communists... so they disliked him....... :o ... hardly surprising ....

never mind we shall have to struggle with what we have!

amarka :D

Wondering what the good news is? That dictators show theirr real face? What were these incompetent troop thinking? We cancel a pasport and Thaksin will have trouble travelling? They still will rollout the red carpet. The man has enough money and is welcome anywhere. Something our finest men in uniform cannot claim, they are still and rightfully seen as lacking legitimacy in the West.

It is just another way to divert the attention of the mismanagement of the economy and the situation in the South by the man who is in charge of the South for the last 2,5 years.

hi...

agree..

amarka :o

Agreed!

I'd reserve judgment on current govt - however looks more of the same shi*e different names. :D

Thaksin has shown before that he's Teflon coated and slippery as sin. The Junta and the government are scared to death that if he comes back and somehow manages to get back in power there will not be a rock big enough to hide under for any of them, anywhere. Overthrowing an elected government, even a caretaker one, is treasonable even if the over-throwers give themselves immunity and they all know it. They thought it would be easy to get him; but it's proved a much harder task than they anticipated and if they can't find, or invent, something to pin on him, guess who will be running the country after the next election and who will be in exile.

hi...

very interesting and you might just be right.... :o

i think there are some very nervous people looking over their shoulders right now.... and the same people might be hiding behind tanks soon...

for sure the next 6 months or so will be very intersting....

i dont think Thaksin is just sat in an armchair somewhere watching t.v and sucking on his lolipop and wondering whats going on..... he will be more active than that for sure... the question is ... what is he up to?...

watch this space??

amarka :D

Excellent OP and truly knightly round table banter. Excellent history research, too; thanks Seri Thai.

I agree, it appears the current leaders are hiding ineptness by deflecting attention onto Thaksin. Why ban him? Find something to charge him with and haul his sorry butt back here and toss him in a government Hilton. I think Chukchok summed it up best:

At least Thaksin could run a country. These guys couldn't organise a good piss up.

:o

Thais need to find a Donald Trump clone (with more hair, of course) with the humanitarian grace of Mother Theresa to pull the country back from the edge of the abyss.

i think there are some very nervous people looking over their shoulders right now.... and the same people might be hiding behind tanks soon...

for sure the next 6 months or so will be very intersting....

i don't think Thaksin is just sat in an armchair somewhere watching t.v and sucking on his lolipop and wondering whats going on..... he will be more active than that for sure... the question is ... what is he up to?...

watch this space??

I've had the feeling there are some nervous people since Sept 19th. You have to remember that the people in power now were the "Undercurrents" pre the coup. If they knew they could keep it secret, you have to wonder if they are awake nights wondering if someone is plotting secretly against them. I know if i was in their shoes I'd have some doubts. They seem to be doing more deflecting and pointing fingers than governing. They went for the "Hail Mary" pass but forgot that they were only in the third quarter and there is a lot of the game left to play out.

I said shortly after the coup that I thought the crap would hit the fan in 6 months but I think I was wrong. I'm betting on Songkran or shortly after. My feeling is that people feel empowered, both pro and anti Thaksinites alike, after all the protests last year and they will show their dissatisfaction if the present government and military does not show a real direct correlation between Thaksin and the corruption innuendos that they made to stage the coup. Pointing fingers and rhetoric doesn't count for a lot and the world is watching every step the Junta makes.

Thaksin may just be sitting and playing Ma Jong...LOL It does not matter what he's doing the Military finds it threatening, and as long as they do... Guess who has the advantage. I've said a number of times that Thaksin understands the teachings of Sun Tzu as well as anyone on earth and the military leaders would be well advised to go to the library and pick up a copy of it and commit it to memory.

I think Mr.Taksin doesn't need a diplomatic passport anyway he can easely ask for political Asylum and any Asean country will grant this right.

He may have been corrupted but made is money way before he was elected prime Minister to bad Thai peoples are so credule in general they have no ideas on what is really going on the only news they read is what their TV'S feed them and we all know 3 stations are own by the army whom to my knowledge was always behing watching every move Mr.Taksin made because they do not like to be left away from Power after all they add been in Power for so long before and will remain in power for many years just look at the stupid regulation they put in place and you can see it only serve their interest so whom is really corrupt here? the whole story become a question of jealousy he add dmore money but at least was elected democratically ( even if he bought vote) so what do we think Bush ,Blair,Harper,Merkel ,Howard, didnt buy vote stop dreaming peoples this country is going down the drain with their THIS IS THAILAND politique as a reader told the other let's all move to Vietnam or malaysia at least they open their arms arms for us.

According to a source, Mr Sawanit said the revocation on Dec 31 was prompted by Mr Thaksin's alleged attempt to get involved in political movements in the wake of New Year bombings in Bangkok and neighbouring Nonthaburi.

He said the ministry also ordered all Thai embassies and consulates around the world to stop receiving the couple, who still have ordinary passports.

Foreign Ministry spokesman Kiattikhun Chartprasert said the ministry told the couple on Tuesday that their diplomatic passports had been revoked, via the Thai consul-general in Hong Kong and Thai embassy in London. Mr Thaksin is now in Hong Kong and his wife is in England.

A ministry source said Mr Thaksin and his wife would have two weeks before the revocation takes effect.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/11Jan2007_news01.php

------------------------------------------------------------------

Mr Sawanit is the Deputy Foreign Minister

They thought it would be easy to get him; but it's proved a much harder task than they anticipated and if they can't find, or invent, something to pin on him, guess who will be running the country after the next election and who will be in exile.

sorry to disappoint you, but it WON'T be Thaksin running the country... :o

Deposed Thai PM Thaksin quits politics - lawyer

BANGKOK - Former Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra has quit politics four months after he was ousted in a bloodless coup, his lawyer said on Wednesday.

"He has conveyed his message from Hong Kong that he no longer wants to be involved in politics," Noppadon told reporters.

"He will not run for the next general election because he doesn't have any more political ambition to be the prime minister again," he said.

- Reuters

Edited by sriracha john

BANGKOK - Former Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra has quit politics four months after he was ousted in a bloodless coup, his lawyer said on Wednesday.

"He has conveyed his message from Hong Kong that he no longer wants to be involved in politics," Noppadon told reporters.

"He will not run for the next general election because he doesn't have any more political ambition to be the prime minister again," he said.

- Reuters

My MP told me that politicians do not lie, so that must be true.

Agreed!

I'd reserve judgment on current govt - however looks more of the same shi*e different names. :D

I'll wait until they are responsible for 7,000 murders like Thaksin.

I have no special fondness for Thaksin, but I think that it was premature to take away his diplomatic passport. If others have them, then he should also. He needs to be charged, tried and found guilty of something before they start all this crap.

On one hand they don't want him to come back here, and on the other they want to curtail his activities. They are attributing way too much power to him.

He is influencial. He is out of the country. The less they say and do about him, the less influence and power he has. He will eventually move on to other things.

The cancellation of Thaksins' passport is one thing...

what's worrying me is this:

Col Sansern said the CNS was merely asking for cooperation, but if some people still failed to exercise proper judgement, the CNS would take action on a case by case basis. (read: action against the Press, LP)

''We listen to public opinion including the media, but it does not sound right to listen to the former government which brought us to this,'' he said.

The Thai Journalists Association and the Thai Broadcast Journalists Association will meet today to discuss the CNS's move.

Takoeng Somsap, chairman of the TBJA, said the CNS was intimidating the media rather than asking for cooperation.

''Personally, I think media outlets should rebel. We are willing to listen. Instead the CNS opts for a method which is more like intimidation,'' he said.

Nattaya Chetchotiros, acting president of the TJA, urged the coup-makers to handle the matter with care.

''Dealing with the media is a delicate matter. The CNS should promote a better understanding with information instead of giving powers to media executives to punish those who are uncooperative,'' she said

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/11Jan2007_news01.php

If you don't eat our food, we'll take action.... :o

LaoPo

So where does he now stand re staying in the UK, (where I understand he is now 'based')?

Think he will need to visit a UK Embassy overseas and try to get a Visitors Visa! Since he may well find it difficult to provide a good reason to return to Thailand, this should clearly be refused.....

Simon

Well I hope the UK immigration give him the same hard time as they are giving falangs here.

Does he need a Police back ground check. proof his degree isn't a fake as i understand there are rumors it is or at least dubious

Paul