Bangkok hit by heaviest rainfall in 25 years: BMA

rooster59

Bangkok hit by heaviest rainfall in 25 years: BMA

Flood-14-oct-17.jpg

Bangkok was hit by a combined rainfall of 203 millimetres on Friday night and before dawn on Saturday, the highest in 25 years, far beyond the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA)’s capability of coping with not more than 60mm of rain at a time, Bangkok deputy governor Chakkaphan Phiewngam said on Saturday (Oct 14).

As a result, Bangkok was flooded at 55 spots.  Hardest hit were Ratchadapisek and Vibhavadi Rangsit roads, causing traffic congestion both on the inbound and outbound lanes.

However, the BMA’s water-draining tunnels at Bang Sue, Rama IX and Makkasan are working normally.  He believed the flooding situation would be eased off by noon time.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/bangkok-hit-heaviest-rainfall-25-years-bma/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-10-15

I don't remember the heavy rain in 1992 (25 years ago) but at one point around this time in 1990 it poured for three days straight and I couldn't get back home for that long until the waist deep floodwaters receded in my neighbourhood to the south of Sathorn. Taxi and tuk-tuk drivers in slightly drier parts of Bangkok just laughed at me when I told them where I wanted to go.

BEWARE there will be a lot of vehicles up for sale in the Bangkok area with owners claiming “ free from any water damage “ . Instead of spending billions on old submarines from China they need to be sorting out the flood issue in BKK otherwise in 50+ years the City will be underwater :(

27 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

BEWARE there will be a lot of vehicles up for sale in the Bangkok area with owners claiming “ free from any water damage “ . Instead of spending billions on old submarines from China they need to be sorting out the flood issue in BKK otherwise in 50+ years the City will be underwater :(

Instead of spending billions on old submarines from China...

I agree, but that is rational thinking, something that occurs very rarely in Thailand.

28 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

thats the reason they bought the submarines. you didnt know?

1 hour ago, charmonman said:

I don't remember the heavy rain in 1992 (25 years ago) but at one point around this time in 1990 it poured for three days straight and I couldn't get back home for that long until the waist deep floodwaters receded in my neighbourhood to the south of Sathorn. Taxi and tuk-tuk drivers in slightly drier parts of Bangkok just laughed at me when I told them where I wanted to go.

I remember visiting after the great floods of 1983 in December when there was still a lot of water lying around in low lying sois in the city.  Drainage and pumping was very basic then and it took weeks for the waters to subside.  The army was running a songthaew  service with its trucks in flooded areas the help marooned residents and long tailed boat drivers plying the sois charging exorbitant prices who resented them taking their windfall income put spikes in the roads to burst the army truck tyres.  An emergency order was broadcast that anyone caught sabotaging the trucks would be shot on sight and and soldiers rode shotgun on top of the trucks with M16s at the ready.  Miraculously the sabotage stopped instantly.    

4 hours ago, rooster59 said:

However, the BMA’s water-draining tunnels at Bang Sue, Rama IX and Makkasan are working normally

Tunnels at Rama IX and Makkasan ???

I know some klongs, but water-draining tunnels. I've never seen any tunnels at Rama IX and in Makkasan !!! Or do they mean sewer pipes ???
Can someone tell me where I can find these tunnels ???

Edited by PAIBKK

2 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

Let us just hope that if it hits Thursday that it stays away from Bangkok.  I would hope that the people can mourn as they should be able to mourn and not be affected by the rain.

Doesn't matter what happens this Thursday coming. The Thursday after will be a different matter.

2 hours ago, crazykopite said:

They will be able to use the submarines in Bangkok to carry the PM and Governor around!  :cheesy:

There's something deep inside of me that's making me wish that Prayuth is having the most terrible Sunday lunch of his life. Is it something I should see a shrink about or is it pretty normal?

8 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

They will be able to use the submarines in Bangkok to carry the PM and Governor around!  :cheesy:

Sub kum Vit . . . we're OK now.

Edited by Ossy
clarity

2 hours ago, crazykopite said:

maybe the submarines are part of the solution--for top leadership?