Expat in Thailand versus stay at home Westerner – Who will really have the last laugh?

Inspire

5 minutes ago, Lucky mike said:

Happiness is generated in the 4 inches between you ears it is not geographically driven ?

To a certain extent... only.

I am sure I would be happier sitting at a pool in a tropical setting, than sitting in a jail anywhere... but that's just me. 

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

To a certain extent... only.

I am sure I would be happier sitting at a pool in a tropical setting, than sitting in a jail anywhere... but that's just me. 

Have seen plenty of people sitting around a pool in a tropical setting not happy ! Jail is not normally free choice ?

IMO.

Thailand knocks the UK into a cocked hat when it comes to the weather, food and standard of living.

I have only been back 3 times in 9 years for a total of 38 days, mainly to visit family and friends.

If it wasn't for them I wouldn't have bothered.

14 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

Nobody is laughing when they are shoved in the crematorium. I think the biggest waste of life, time and money is chasing after women, and even worse is paying prostitutes to be with you, that's pathetic.

They don't know they are being shoved in the crematorium, do they?

You may be right about a waste of time and money. However, you get more time and spend less money here.

Which specific group of religious wingnuts do you belong to? Or are you just a naturally bitter person?

6 hours ago, MadMuhammad said:

Life is what you make no matter where you are, working or not, retired or whatever. Only a mind that is at peace will truly enjoy existing.

Those happiest with themselves will always have the last laugh.

You are way too smart for TV...

6 hours ago, Inspire said:

The negative comments always seem to be from those that have never been here.

No, it´s not at all true. The negative comments all tell the truth. It´s just that they come from people that have seen that it´s more to Thailand than only a busy, overcrowded and boring party city.

Before it was actually a lot more beautiful with clean beaches and a smaller amount every day open daylight robberies. Now that´s a mess too. Nothing much to look forward too there, more than worse conditions.

I can hire a fulltime carer ( retired nurse ) for 10K baht a month. Or there are aged care facilities near Chiang Mai in the price range of 45K-80K baht/month, still within my budget.

Contrast that with aged care and nursing homes in Australia. Deliberately understaffed to maximize the return on the dollar. Contracts which gouge eye-watering fees when a unit owner dies or moves out. Ongoing stories of inedible food, neglect and abuse. Latest story was about continence pads that had to be 75% wet before changing to a fresh one.

I don't know whether I'll die here or in Australia. IMHO I'll be happier dying here.

49 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

Nobody is laughing when they are shoved in the crematorium. I think the biggest waste of life, time and money is chasing after women, and even worse is paying prostitutes to be with you, that's pathetic.

So let's guess what you do.

Chase after men and they pay you :smile:

Edited by MickTurator

Most respectfully inspire, I live a sedentary lifestyle and love watching movies on tv. That's why I wish you and Pattaya News had your own, separate channels on Sophon Cable, so I didn't have to see your same ol', same ol' content all the time - instead of a movie krub.

5 hours ago, ferguston said:

Living in Thailand for a British National has been spoilt by the Tory government pushing through their Brexit agenda.

I only wish Scotland had gained its deserved independence.

The people voted for Brexit and were a mixed-bag politically. The PM and most of the cabinet are remainers and are obviously foot-dragging on leaving the EU. However, blame the Tories if that floats your boat.

Edited by jesimps

I have been living here since 2002.  Over the last 10 years, I brought 6 friends over here from the USA.  3 of them came over kicking and screaming that they would never live in Thailand and only a 2-week vacation would prove that.   All 6 now live here permanently and those who came over bitching about Thailand had purchased tickets for a return flight before they even left.  Not one of these friends is sorry they came here and moved here permanently.

As for being happy, that comes from within wherever you are.  One must fully embrace his inner scumbag to be truly happy.  To love yourself and accept all your attributes as well as your faults and be totally comfortable in your own skin.  Loving yourself is a good start.  That is the best way to embrace life.

Although I could live in Thailand being retired, having a Thai wife for the last 38 years and having enough pension, I  find 3 months a year is more than enough for me and am always glad to go back to Europe for the spring, summer and autumn just I cant stand the winters.

There is never gonna be a one size fits all and all anyone can do is go with your own gut feel and happiness. For me I currently spend half and half at my country of origin and Thailand.
All I know is that after many years I still feel the same excitement leaving "home" and arriving in Thailand as I did then so I know where my future lies.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

.The original poster states "It’s interesting how an Expat in Thailand has to take periodical abuse from minority outsiders ...."  In over 20 years, luckily I've never experienced that 'abuse'.

Who has the "Last Laugh" depends on circumstances of course. The readers of these forums have heard all the stories of Expat's getting ripped off and left with nothing. I've met one or 2 who are sick of Thailand and wish they could return home after disastrous relationships, but can't afford to.

For others with health issues which deteriorate with age, they may have to return home if they can't get insurance anymore. I have a friend who is blissfully happy here after 12 years and never wants to return to the UK. I hope he continues to be happy here for many more years. But the fact is that we all get old and sick eventually, and as he approaches his 70's I fear there may be tears ahead for him & his family here if he has to return to the UK for treatment.  

I don't know if I'll have 'The Last Laugh' but I certainly had as much fun as I could for the first years in Thailand. My quality of life improved immensely and eventually found the right girl for me. However, I never 'Burnt my bridges' unlike friends who can't afford to return home. We spent many very happy years in Thailand but now, due to my health  deteriorating, we live very happily in a beautiful part of England for the summer and return to Thailand for the winter. That works well for us. Ha ha!

8 hours ago, ferguston said:

Living in Thailand for a British National has been spoilt by the Tory government pushing through their Brexit agenda.

Seriously?  Tory government pushing through their Brexit agenda? I must have read every idiotic post about Brexit now surely?
I hope one day you get your independence too

I think the ones who dont stay in either place too long have got it right. Im bored of Pattaya after a month but a week away from it and I want to be back there. I would rather live in both places than be stuck in a village somewhere going brain dead being yakyak at all day. Im sure I would end up like that old dude with the machete haha

I get bored in one place for too long

I will never know if we did the right thing coming here to live .all i know is the last 12 years have been so good.we are happy and love every day.would it have been better in the UK who can say i might have won the lotteryand been a millionaire or on the other hand .worked myself to death.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

8 hours ago, ferguston said:

Or you could have worked/saved harder and not been bothered by it.

Can't see the Scottish Pound ( or whatever currency an independent Scotland chose ) being worth much anyhow :laugh:

24 minutes ago, InMyShadow said:
4 hours ago, Lucky mike said:
Happiness is generated in the 4 inches between you ears it is not geographically driven ?

Well try living in Syria.. Pretty hard to be fat dumb and happy there and many more locations

29 minutes ago, i claudius said:

I will never know if we did the right thing coming here to live .all i know is the last 12 years have been so good.we are happy and love every day.would it have been better in the UK who can say i might have won the lotteryand been a millionaire or on the other hand .worked myself to death.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Exactly. Trying to second guess the past is a fools errand.  More than half my life "wasted" in Asia ? Hard to know for sure. But when I visit the UK most of my friends seem to have a very mundane existence. The only highlight is cheap wine, cheese and cars. The first day we are trapped inside by freezing rain and wind the novelty evaporates. 

4 hours ago, Lucky mike said:

Have seen plenty of people sitting around a pool in a tropical setting not happy ! Jail is not normally free choice ?

That I agree with - I remember visiting a friend in a Bkk condo, big pool and all these retired expats sitting around... a year later, all the same guys were still there but all sitting separately, not speaking with the others. 

And sure, don't remember the mention of choice - but agreed... though I have seen enough people make piss poor choices. 

I know for myself, being happy requires a certain amount of alone time and what I would call a detached/attachment... and my family is very understanding of my quirks. 

Keep being Lucky Mike and usually people who have good luck have more than that going for them, as one might expect.. 

11 hours ago, superglue said:

Bad guys have more fun!

As usual the "author" misses the point. It's not a competition. No schadenfreude over "losers". Comparing oneself to other "losers" is useless. Work out where you are, assess the situation. When you give up comparison, you've made a fresh start in the new place.

Just now, jgarbo said:

As usual the "author" misses the point. It's not a competition. No schadenfreude over "losers". Comparing oneself to other "losers" is useless. Work out where you are, assess the situation. When you give up comparison, you've made a fresh start in the new place.

Banter!

BTW I am living in paradise in NE LOS.

11 hours ago, MadMuhammad said:

Life is what you make no matter where you are, working or not, retired or whatever. Only a mind that is at peace will truly enjoy existing.

Those happiest with themselves will always have the last laugh.

Hippy nonsense..Tell that to the enslaved Yasidi women and children. Some locations and circumstances are objectively better or worse than other places. It's not all in the head.

2 hours ago, Walter Travolta said:

I think the ones who dont stay in either place too long have got it right. Im bored of Pattaya after a month but a week away from it and I want to be back there. I would rather live in both places than be stuck in a village somewhere going brain dead being yakyak at all day. Im sure I would end up like that old dude with the machete haha

I get bored in one place for too long

Me too. Though based in Pattaya I travel around the rest of Thailand frequently. One think I notice when I visit the UK is boring life seems and how bored, whiney and political everybody seems on those few occasions they can afford to go out. Everything stops by 11 most nights. Bad weather, Health and safety , political correctness, the influence of Sharia law have really changed the face of the UK for the worse. It's also very violent   and expensive. Living here in Thailand there is my chance for fun, adventure, and if you wish..a better, healthy, outdoor life style. The UK is depressing after a few weeks.

11 hours ago, The manic said:

Hippy nonsense..Tell that to the enslaved Yasidi women and children. Some locations and circumstances are objectively better or worse than other places. It's not all in the head.

Yep, great comment. Extremely relevant to my comment and what this hold thread is based around. 

Thanks for your input.