Why Was Bangkok Not Warned Of Flooding?

snoop1130

Why Was Bangkok Not Warned Of Flooding?

By Asaree Thaitrakulpanich, Staff Reporter

flood-696x477.jpg

A flooded street Saturday in Bangkok’s Ratchada area. Photo: @Shinminji_wow / Twitter

BANGKOK — The capital city woke Saturday morning to find itself flooded by what had been the heaviest rains in 30 years. How did no one know what was coming? Or did they? And with a forecast of more rain all week, is more on the way?

The usual back and forth over who to blame has since been centered on how information, forecasts and warnings are relayed by meteorologists who, unlike elsewhere in the world, are state bureaucrats.

Full Story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/featured/2017/10/16/bangkok-not-warned-flooding/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2017-10-16

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The usual back and forth over who to blame has since been centered on how information, forecasts and warnings are relayed by meteorologists who, unlike elsewhere in the world, are state bureaucrats.

With the junta's management-maze of committees, bureaux and commissions, it's impossible to apportion blame . . . that was the whole idea. Like the rest of the country's 'government', the weather men are, in a word, DUMB . . . and, what's worse, they get away with it. That Big-Boy doesn't see that he's sitting on what can only be described as a corporate joke will, one day, come home to roost. I fantasize a massive storm cloud centering just above his house at this moment. I want to see him wading, waste-deep, to his car . . . yeh, that'd be good.

Call me prejudiced - vindictive, even - but I did like and respect Thailand as a new homeland, 5yrs ago, whereas, now, I am simply ashamed to live in a place 'run' by morons, who believe coloured rubber bracelets will help them thro' the day.

Edited by Ossy
punctuation

15 hours ago, samsensam said:

completely unexpected for this time of year. no one could have predicted it.

From current (unusual) weather patterns, not unexpected. Main problem, Bangkok's flat, ie no run off,  and so low the Chao Phraya is tidal past Ayutthaya, ie the flood water has nowhere to go. Pumping water into the river will send it north every 12 hours to return a few hours later. That's why I live on the 14th floor. Did the charming bungalow game. Flooded in for three months. 

59 minutes ago, Borzandy said:

I don't understand, a Thai expert said about 2 weeks ago, no flooding risk this year.

How about putting a bit of the blame onto the population who stuff plastic bags, bottles and other trash into the drainage system.

Some things begin at home, and judging by the photos of blocked drains and what washes up on the beaches, there's a massive public education program needed.

20 minutes ago, Ossy said:

With the junta's management-maze of committees, bureaux and commissions, it's impossible to apportion blame . . . that was the whole idea. Like the rest of the country's 'government', the weather men are, in a word, DUMB . . . and, what's worse, they get away with it. That Big-Boy doesn't see that he's sitting on what can only be described as a corporate joke will, one day, come home to roost. I fantasize a massive storm cloud centering just above his house at this moment. I want to see him wading, waste-deep, to his car . . . yeh, that'd be good.

Call me prejudiced - vindictive, even - but I did like and respect Thailand as a new homeland, 5yrs ago, whereas, now, I am simply ashamed to live in a place 'run' by morons, who believe coloured rubber bracelets will help them thro' the day.

Right. I've tried to tell them. A gold crucifix, blessed by a priest who hasn't buggered more than ten boys,  will turn back floods, tsunamis, charging rhinos. But will they listen?

14 hours ago, tonray said:

They have been issuing warnings every week for 2 months already. And when there is no flooding, TV members whine about how the authorities cry wolf at every little shower....they can't win.

Besides, there is nature.

Quite unpredictable.......

15 hours ago, samsensam said:

completely unexpected for this time of year. no one could have predicted it.

I think October is the second rainest month (in Bangkok, by depth/volume) after September, and a tad higher than May?

Not sure that qualifies as "unexpected"?

That said, the amount of rain was unusually high, maybe nearly the monthly average in one storm. But the "authorities" should probably be planning for 25-year events (and maybe not 100-year events)?

Prayut usually castigates the populace for complaining about "water waiting to drain", telling them to move somewhere else if they don't like it.

27 minutes ago, Ossy said:

Yep. They need FEMA to fly over and teach them. Look at their resounding success in Houston, Puerto Rico and Florida. The good old American way...

5 minutes ago, jgarbo said:

Right. I've tried to tell them. A gold crucifix, blessed by a priest who hasn't buggered more than ten boys,  will turn back floods, tsunamis, charging rhinos. But will they listen?

Of course, it is all to blame on the government, they control the weather, yes?

Control nature also, don't they

9 minutes ago, masuk said:

How about putting a bit of the blame onto the population who stuff plastic bags, bottles and other trash into the drainage system.

Some things begin at home, and judging by the photos of blocked drains and what washes up on the beaches, there's a massive public education program needed.

Small problem. Check historic photos, before plastic bags, etc. Bangkok has always flooded during the Rainy season. It was welcomed, bringing new top soil to the fields.

12 minutes ago, masuk said:

Right. A bit. Maybe 1%. 

8 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

But the "authorities" should probably be planning for 25-year events (and maybe not 100-year events)?

I like the general message but fail to see your distinction between 25yr and 100yr events, as planning yardsticks, when, surely, either of these, if 'properly' planned for, would at least help in managing the run-off.

18 minutes ago, jgarbo said:

Yep. They need FEMA to fly over and teach them. Look at their resounding success in Houston, Puerto Rico and Florida. The good old American way...

Sounds like you've stopped a hurricane or two. They, unlike heavy rainfall run-off, are beyond mans' control . . . unless FEMA has a 'good old American' something up its sleeve.