Son Traveling from UK on expired Thai passport

A friend’s son has a UK Passport and a Thai passport that has now expired.

He will be traveling UK to Thailand for about a month.

Presumably he can check in and pass through UK immigration on his British passport - then show the expired Thai passport on   arrival in Bangkok. 

I suppose it wouldn’t matter if he traveled both ways on the British passport as his stay in Thailand is likely to be less than 30 days.

2 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

And highly recommended as it is much easier than in the UK.

The main caveat is that he will need both parents to be present for the renewal of the thai passport unless the boy is already an adult under thai law (20 and above). 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, kiwiaussie said:

The main caveat is that he will need both parents to be present for the renewal of the thai passport unless the boy is already an adult under thai law (20 and above). 

I may be wrong but I don’t think both parents attended the issue of the first Passport 5 years ago. 

- Applicants under the age of 15 must be accompanied by parents or a legal guardian.
If parents cannot appear, at least one parent must accompany the child when applying for
an e- Passport. If both parents cannot appear at the same time, one parent must accompany the applicant on the date of the application and as well bring a notarized parental consent form signed by the non- appearing parent. (parental consent form).

- Applicants over 15 years of age but have not reached the age of 20 can apply for an         e-Passport without parental accompaniment but will need to bring a letter of consent from their parents or a legal guardian.
- For more details, please see  General Requirements for the Ordinary e-Passports Application

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/1415/21483-Frequently-Asked-Questions-(FAQs).html

Both parents do have to be there. My wife took the kids to re new the passports in August. Then the call came, leave work and come to Changwattana or it cant be done. I left work and within one hour the process was done, mailed to our house two days from applying.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, GLewis said:

Both parents do have to be there. My wife took the kids to re new the passports in August. Then the call came, leave work and come to Changwattana or it cant be done. I left work and within one hour the process was done, mailed to our house two days from applying.

It is possible for only one parent to apply if they have a letter of consent from the other parent.

2 minutes ago, nontabury said:

There is an exception to this requirement. When one of the parents are none Thai, it has been know for their presence and/or consent not to be required. 

When?  Laws and practice has changed quite a bit in the last few years on such matters.

4 minutes ago, nontabury said:

There is an exception to this requirement. When one of the parents are none Thai, it has been know for their presence and/or consent not to be required. 

As far as I know both parents have to be present unless the absent parent gives consent for the other to do it. It does not matter whether one the parents are not Thai.

The latest requirements requirements are here in Thai. http://www.consular.go.th/main/contents/images/text_editor/files/Manual PP/under 20 update13-6-60.pdf

14 minutes ago, nontabury said:

Rubbish, the law does not differentiate at all, I have always had to be in attendance for both my children's Thai passport applications, as UJ correctly points out, the only exceptions are using a consent letter from either parent, or one parent has legal sole custody of the child if divorced.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

As far as I know both parents have to be present unless the absent parent gives consent for the other to do it. It does not matter whether one the parents are not Thai.

The latest requirements requirements are here in Thai. http://www.consular.go.th/main/contents/images/text_editor/files/Manual PP/under 20 update13-6-60.pdf

Agree this is the law, however they do not always adhere to this law. I know of two cases were the Thia wife managed to obtain a Thai passport, unbeknown to their farang husbands. In one case the husband afterwards contacted the regional passport office, asking them to explain the procedure. They explained that the law is, as you say, he then asked,why then was his wife able to obtain a passport for his child,without his consent. The official then hung up.

38 minutes ago, Mattd said:

Rubbish, the law does not differentiate at all, I have always had to be in attendance for both my children's Thai passport applications, as UJ correctly points out, the only exceptions are using a consent letter from either parent, or one parent has legal sole custody of the child if divorced.

I Have also been a required  to give my consent, except on one occasion,when I attended the office with my Thai wife and one of our children. I sat outside in the waiting area,exspecting to be called in to give my consent.Never happened. Passport approved.

9 minutes ago, nontabury said:

I Have also been a required  to give my consent, except on one occasion,when I attended the office with my Thai wife and one of our children. I sat outside in the waiting area,exspecting to be called in to give my consent.Never happened. Passport approved.

Then I'd say that this is a rare exception to the rule that should not have happened, in my experience, the fact that one of the parents is not Thai would (should) not have any bearing, what you experienced may well also happen to a Thai couple renewing a passport for their child, personally, even though it can be a pain, I agree with this rule, which gives some protection against child abduction.

18 minutes ago, nontabury said:

That is because you were there in person. You accompanied them and that is what the rules require. 

Outside they check the required documents, making sure both parents are there with ID which matches the child's birth certificate and house registration. 

Once inside, all they are doing is taking the photos and finger prints and keying on data. 

Edited by samran

29 minutes ago, nontabury said:

you might have gotten a free pass on that occasion, in dealing with thai bureaucracy, has happened to me where some steps are skipped , seemingly only because the person doesnt want the extra trouble of dealing with a farang

18 minutes ago, samran said:

That is because you were there in person. You accompanied them and that is what the rules require. 

Outside they check the required documents, making sure both parents are there with ID which matches the child's birth certificate and house registration. 

Once inside, all they are doing is taking the photos and finger prints and keying on data. 

That's the point, they never came out to check with me. Also my wife never informed them that I was outside. Obviously if she'd had been asked where I was,or did she have the letter of consent or my P/p.  she would have informed them, so I could have been called into the office. 

Maybe we were lucky and it was an exception, but I don't think so, as I reported in my earlier post regarding two farangs.

Do these exceptions only apply,when it involves a Farang. Well not according to my wife. One of her Thia friends Allso managed to obtain a P/P for her son without the consent of her Thai husband.

7 minutes ago, nontabury said:

That's the point, they never came out to check with me. Also my wife never informed them that I was outside. Obviously if she'd had been asked where I was,or did she have the letter of consent or my P/p.  she would have informed them, so I could have been called into the office. 

Maybe we were lucky and it was an exception, but I don't think so, as I reported in my earlier post regarding two farangs.

Do these exceptions only apply,when it involves a Farang. Well not according to my wife. One of her Thia friends Allso managed to obtain a P/P for her son without the consent of her Thai husband.

At Chiangwattana the paperwork processing is done outside in the general waiting area so person checking at queue desk may well have seen family arrive together.

31 minutes ago, nontabury said:

No exception was made for you.

If you accompany your child, and your details match the details on the BC and  tabieen baan, then that is all that is needed.

There is no need to sign a consent in that case. 

Documents are checked outside. You don't get to go inside unless all your paperwork is in order. 

15 minutes ago, samran said:

No exception was made for you.

If you accompany your child, and your details match the details on the BC and  tabieen baan, then that is all that is needed.

There is no need to sign a consent in that case. 

Documents are checked outside. You don't get to go inside unless all your paperwork is in order. 

Well first of all this was not carried out at Chiangwattana. Please read again, they did not know that I had accompanied by wife and child.

Regarding the Thai and Thai. Just questioned my wife again. What happened is that the Thai mother obtained a letter from the wife of the OrBeTor, stating that they did not know the whereabouts of the Thai father. This of course was a complete lie, as the father lived in the next village (4K) and this was known both to the wife and the OrBeTor. She then presented that letter at the. P/p office, job done.

16 hours ago, Jip99 said:

I may be wrong but I don’t think both parents attended the issue of the first Passport 5 years ago. 

My wife went down to Nakhon Sawan to get a passport for our son about 3 years ago when he was 10 and was refused as I was not there. We all had to go back the next day. They wanted to see me. get a copy of my passport and I had to sign a couple of forms as well. No problem when I was there as his Dad.

2 hours ago, nontabury said:

Well first of all this was not carried out at Chiangwattana. Please read again, they did not know that I had accompanied by wife and child.

Regarding the Thai and Thai. Just questioned my wife again. What happened is that the Thai mother obtained a letter from the wife of the OrBeTor, stating that they did not know the whereabouts of the Thai father. This of course was a complete lie, as the father lived in the next village (4K) and this was known both to the wife and the OrBeTor. She then presented that letter at the. P/p office, job done.

Based on what you have written, you aren't the registered father so of course they aren't going to want to talk to you. 

Again, no exception was made given you are a foreigner. They didn't check with you given you aren't the registered parent on the BC and house registry. 

The letter that your wife showed stating the unknown whereabouts of the birth father is totally normal. 

The son should travel on his British passport as a UK national.

Your post suggests that he lives with his family in UK. Consequently, I assume that, for an overseas holiday, he'll have travel insurance.

The policy is almost certain to cover only UK nationals when on holiday, So, if he enters Thailand as a Thai, and anything goes wrong, the insurance will be worth as much as a chocolate fireguard.

3 hours ago, samran said:

Based on what you have written, you aren't the registered father so of course they aren't going to want to talk to you. 

Again, no exception was made given you are a foreigner. They didn't check with you given you aren't the registered parent on the BC and house registry. 

The letter that your wife showed stating the unknown whereabouts of the birth father is totally normal. 

I’m sorry I don’t understand. You say I’m not the registered father. Where do you get that from? I most certainly am the father plus the registered father. 

Perhaps your not reading correctly, may I suggest that you go back and re-read everything I have wrote on this thread.