This has to be seen to be believed: Wish you were here - you could help us pick up the trash on the beach....

Jonathan Fairfield

Wish you were here - you could help us pick up the trash on the beach....

579apoB.jpg

Image: Sophon Cable

Every picture tells a story. This one comes from Jomtien beach in Pattaya where two foreign men are doing a spot of sunbathing.

They have found a spot on the beach to get some rays but are surrounded by great piles of trash.

Sophon Cable TV reported Monday that the recent heavy rains had made the trash on the beach situation in Pattaya much worse.

Operators confirmed the image saying it was the worst they had ever seen it.

Trash from the city after heavy rains had poured into the sea and then been blown back to shore competing with the tourists for space on the beach.

Sophon said there were heaps of plastic bottles, plastic bags, driftwood and filthy trash over several hundred meters of beach.

The situation from North to South Pattaya was not much better prompting the mayor of the resort Anan Jaroenchasri to order his men to clean up the unsightly mess - again....

Sourcehttps://www.facebook.com/STVPattaya/posts/1681916321829295

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-10-16

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Garbage-strewn scene at Jomtien Beach after floodwater drains out to sea

98a63924cbe3add7c066d31551a8ba4f.jpeg

Several foreigners still sunbathed on Jomtien Beach in Chon Buri province on Monday despite the garbage strewn across many parts of the beach following downpour-induced floods.

“When the floodwater drained out to sea, it brought along garbage. Waves then brought the garbage ashore,” said Santi Thianthong, operator of a beach-bed rental business. Another operator,

Chatwarin Wongthong, said the authorities should help clean up the beach, or else Jomtien’s image would be negatively affected.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30329426

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-10-16

3b611a985ab41b937e0c5007cff8694d.jpeg

30 minutes ago, BEVUP said:

& surely it's not that difficult to buy a couple of sand sifting machine (like they have in other countries ) that can be trucked around to different beaches

The local ampher has people that clean the beach with equipment etc, You see them at the beach sometimes. The photo is probably taken early morning before they have got to that section of beach. I think they need to do it more often and employ more people. Also, they tend to clean at low tide.

Edited by Peterw42

I speak for myself..i am tired of cleaning up after thais and Chinese..its hard,but..I now walk over and around the garbage and try not to let it upset me...BUT IT DOES IT PISSES ME OFF..the laziness and disprespect in asia is unbelievable..WHEN WILL THESE PEOPLE GROW UP....

Jomtien beach is in Jomtien. However, what this story really illustrates is the need for some small groups of self employed entrepreneurs to hire out deck chairs and sun lounger to beach users.  Perhaps the authorities might arrange it. 

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

The photo is probably taken early morning before they have got to that section of beach.

The length of the shadows would appear to suggest otherwise.

I was recently on a wide (several times wider than here) 2km-long beach in a fairly small European town. It was out of season with few tourist around but every morning they had a machine out at dawn cleaning the whole beach which was 100% spotless.

The local ampher has people that clean the beach with equipment etc, You see them at the beach sometimes. The photo is probably taken early morning before they have got to that section of beach. I think they need to do it more often and employ more people. Also, they tend to clean at low tide.

I was at Pattaya beach around 2 pm Sunday. Tide coming in. Piles of rubbish. Never seen it so bad. Definitely hadn't been cleaned yet. I usually sympathise with the deck chairs guys but I can't understand why they don't clean up in front of their sites at least. It's not like they are really busy. I wouldn't sit in that but plenty sunbathing in the filth.

Sent from my SM-J120G using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The  litter problem is not only on the beaches, but everywhere.

People here do not care, never clear up just throw things on the ground, not enough litter bins is also a problem, but then people will not throw litter in them, but just dump it on the ground.

A few days ago i went to big C, past a small lake just outside our village.

There was a group of people sat at the side of the lake eating/drinking.

On my way home, they were gone, the mess they left behind was disgusting.

Edited by colinneil

11 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

“When the floodwater drained out to sea, it brought along garbage. Waves then brought the garbage ashore,” said Santi Thianthong

A good example of causality, well done. Now, just take it that little bit further and enlighten yourself on why there is that much garbage in the first place...

Looks like everything in Pattaya starts to be equal. It´s comforting to see that the shit is spreading everywhere.
There´s no more hiding. The shit sees everything, and the tourist sees the shit. Time to clean up from the beach to the bone, heart and soul.

11 hours ago, BEVUP said:

& surely it's not that difficult to buy a couple of sand sifting machine (like they have in other countries ) that can be trucked around to different beaches

Don't worry, they will buy one once they have fleeced enough tourists for dropping cigarette ends - after of course making sure their pockets are well filled first.

Beach needs to be cleaned first thing in the morning and at low tide. Failure to due results in word of mouth spread at home which results in people not coming to this area for their vacation. 50 people per day in no shows when beach is like this?

As they continue to build roads and cater to the Chinese, everything else is left unattended especially the necessary facilities like sanitation treatment plants so it doesn't drain into the sea, more garbage cans throughout Pattaya not only in the tourist area, a way to capture rain water runoff instead of dumping it into someone empty land. 

9 hours ago, KittenKong said:

The length of the shadows would appear to suggest otherwise.

I was recently on a wide (several times wider than here) 2km-long beach in a fairly small European town. It was out of season with few tourist around but every morning they had a machine out at dawn cleaning the whole beach which was 100% spotless.

Last month I was also on a beach in the east of England. They  had a machine cleaning the whole beach, the driver told me they do it for 5hrs each day, staring at 3am. This is from March to November. Not one pierce of rubbish to be seen.

No worries, who goes to the beach for anything but a nice selfie anyway? Just hold the camera in an angle that does not see the trash and/or edit out the trash before posting on social media. Sunbathing? Swimming? What types of savages are you?

Edited by hobz

11 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Not so. I hiked jomtein yesterday from 2-5 .... it was no better and even worse in many places.... particularly around the the boat ramps.

Edited by Curmudgeon1
Spelling

I've lived in Jomtien for around13 years now, never seen it so bad. They do have cleaners, but they don't come every day, but action is like putting a band aid on a cancer: fix it at the source. Oh, they might want to try to give clean up duties to the 4 "life guards" so they could do something useful besides clotting together in the shade starting at their smartphones.