This has to be seen to be believed: Wish you were here - you could help us pick up the trash on the beach....

Jonathan Fairfield

4 minutes ago, koto said:

What do I know, have been cleaning Thailand's beaches for 17 years,

I sincerely admire your perseverance in the face of such overwhelming odds.

With the massive amount of money swilling around Pattaya the beach litter problem could be mostly eradicated in just a few weeks (at least the most visible signs of it). Seems that nobody in authority really cares.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have cleaned up Jomtien beach many times , early in the mornings I bring a trash bag and gloves and pick up all the plastic. Been doing it for years , it's good exercise. 

I tried to set a good example and hoped the locals would join me but they just look at me and laugh. 

Now I live near Wongamat beach, and it's not so bad here, mainly because staff  working at the beach hotels have been ordered to pick up trash every week. 

18 hours ago, BEVUP said:

& surely it's not that difficult to buy a couple of sand sifting machine (like they have in other countries ) that can be trucked around to different beaches

Personally, I suspect they heavily depend on ex-pat do-gooders to get their backs into it to cleanup this unsightly mess like we've seen in previous posts over the years. I for one wouldn't even contemplate laying on these filth ridden beaches with their shitty shores immersed in filthy contaminated waters.  Lets be honest here, Pattaya has been a health hazard for a long time this just adding to its splendour .....................:passifier:

Marine leisure hub of Asia....

World class resort....

Same miamibeach...

No words...

Since I had trouble packing my things in a supermarket in one single bag

And the lady denied it..CBs it was their policy that staff packing and not customer..I went out with 4 bag

That was the last time I was thinking on environmental

Since 2year after this event I give a shit on

That's not my country

18 hours ago, BEVUP said:

& surely it's not that difficult to buy a couple of sand sifting machine (like they have in other countries ) that can be trucked around to different beaches

Of course it isn't.

What is difficult is to change (not buy) a philosophy, a mindset, an attitude..... a whole different way of "being".

Good luck with that one.

Edited by Enoon

Oh yes ! Thais attitude to anything public is”not my business”

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Their is a 100% quick fix to this issue... if the beach is filthy stay off and don’t rent chair.. the Thais know the importance or the tourist trade.. my advice to beach goers is go visit the other attractions temples etc instead of paying to slum it with the trash ... I’m sure after 3 days of empty beaches they will clean up their act to get everyone back..

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

17 hours ago, KittenKong said:

The length of the shadows would appear to suggest otherwise.

I was recently on a wide (several times wider than here) 2km-long beach in a fairly small European town. It was out of season with few tourist around but every morning they had a machine out at dawn cleaning the whole beach which was 100% spotless.

Yes, this is how it is done on popular American beaches, too.  Why is this such a hard lesson to learn?  Just buy the equipment and use it every morning. 

19 hours ago, BEVUP said:

They continue to make a drama about this. Stop the whining and pick it up for goodness sake. I could clear that whole area in less than an hour.

The beach is important for tourism. With a minimum wage of only 300 baht or so they could hire hundreds of people to clean the beach every day. There's no excuse for this. 

34 minutes ago, newnative said:
  17 hours ago, KittenKong said:

I was recently on a wide (several times wider than here) 2km-long beach in a fairly small European town. It was out of season with few tourist around but every morning they had a machine out at dawn cleaning the whole beach which was 100% spotless.

I lived on an Australian beach for 20 years. Every morning the sand sifting tractor would sift all the sand and paid council workers went up and down the beach and sand dunes all day long to pick up trash. Beaches don't maintain themselves, no matter where you live. 

19 hours ago, mok199 said:

I speak for myself..i am tired of cleaning up after thais and Chinese..its hard,but..I now walk over and around the garbage and try not to let it upset me...BUT IT DOES IT PISSES ME OFF..the laziness and disprespect in asia is unbelievable..WHEN WILL THESE PEOPLE GROW UP....

When the tourists stop coming !!

40 minutes ago, wakeupplease said:

Are you sure that is the beach, looks like our local rubbish dump

Miami must be p----ing themselves laughing after seeing this

No need to go that far to Miami...Vietnam and its pristine beaches is rubbing its hands as the quality tourists and expats from Thailand will flock out there ...with their cash !!

I really don't see why such a simple problem cannot be solved. If the beach is enclosed, I mean fence up so to enter you need to pay 500 baht deposit you will be given a ticket (code number)which stated the number of plastic container, bottle or packages you have. When you leave you collect your deposit of 500 baht if any of the item are missing you will be charged accordingly, example 2 bottles you are charge 200 baht. Your empty plastic bag for chip is missing you are charge 200 baht.

I am sure everyone will bring their trash back with them so they don't loose their 500 baht.

This should be made by government into laws otherwise it will have no effect, because no authority from the government. If you refuse to pay the 500 baht deposit you cannot enter the beach. Simple as that.

16 minutes ago, madusa said:

I really don't see why such a simple problem cannot be solved. If the beach is enclosed, I mean fence up so to enter you need to pay 500 baht deposit you will be given a ticket (code number)which stated the number of plastic container, bottle or packages you have. When you leave you collect your deposit of 500 baht if any of the item are missing you will be charged accordingly, example 2 bottles you are charge 200 baht. Your empty plastic bag for chip is missing you are charge 200 baht.

I am sure everyone will bring their trash back with them so they don't loose their 500 baht.

This should be made by government into laws otherwise it will have no effect, because no authority from the government. If you refuse to pay the 500 baht deposit you cannot enter the beach. Simple as that.

There's only one problem with your suggestion, (apart from the fact it could not work because people will generally not want to deposit 500 baht to visit the beach)... Beach littering is not the main source of the garbage you see in the photo above. It's garbage carried onto the beach by the tide, waves, and wind. i.e. most of it drifted onto the beach.

There's only one solution, and it's not that difficult. Hire full-time beach cleaners to walk up and down the beach all day long, every day - as many as it takes, to pick up garbage and groom the sand with rakes. Better yet, get sifting machines. The amazing thing is that in Thailand beach cleaners will be cheap to hire, yet they still can't do it. They don't seem to be able to do much at all at City Hall here. It is probably one of the most ineffective local government departments of all.... What do they do all day? I've visited City Hall several times to file reports and speak to an engineer. The place is a joke. 

Could happen here, as in physicaly possible, but unfortunately the Thai mind just doesn't get it, sad to say.

Sent from my BLL-L22 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

11 hours ago, colinneil said:

The  litter problem is not only on the beaches, but everywhere.

People here do not care, never clear up just throw things on the ground, not enough litter bins is also a problem, but then people will not throw litter in them, but just dump it on the ground.

A few days ago i went to big C, past a small lake just outside our village.

There was a group of people sat at the side of the lake eating/drinking.

On my way home, they were gone, the mess they left behind was disgusting.

A few years ago, Thai friends tookme on my visa run.  We shopped,looked around, had lunch etc and finally the husband left us with cans of drinks in a quiet little corner whilst he went off to get the car.  There were two bins about 1-2 metres  from us.  Four cans were thrown on the ground!!  Now these Thais are upper middle class!!

On the beach near Rayong, the B'kok people come for the weekend and the seafood.  Mostly all the shells etc are thrown.  Mind you there are NO bins either.

1 hour ago, tropo said:

There's only one problem with your suggestion, (apart from the fact it could not work because people will generally not want to deposit 500 baht to visit the beach)... Beach littering is not the main source of the garbage you see in the photo above. It's garbage carried onto the beach by the tide, waves, and wind. i.e. most of it drifted onto the beach.

There's only one solution, and it's not that difficult. Hire full-time beach cleaners to walk up and down the beach all day long, every day - as many as it takes, to pick up garbage and groom the sand with rakes. Better yet, get sifting machines. The amazing thing is that in Thailand beach cleaners will be cheap to hire, yet they still can't do it. They don't seem to be able to do much at all at City Hall here. It is probably one of the most ineffective local government departments of all.... What do they do all day? I've visited City Hall several times to file reports and speak to an engineer. The place is a joke. 

So true regarding City Hall.  A joke indeed.  I've never seen a more disorganized, messy, dirty, depressing, and poorly maintained municipal building, especially in a large city the size of Pattaya.  In the immortal words of Bette Davis, 'What a dump!'  It's easy to see that if this is the very poor way they maintain their own work place, it's no wonder Pattaya is being maintained in the same poor, disinterested, haphazard, incompetent manner. 

I live in a rural area (rapidly being encroached on by developers) North of Pattaya.......I take my dogs for their walk by 7 am.....the Thais litter this pretty country road daily, one person throws rubbish into a field at the same spot nightly

Some months ago (in the same location) there was a fertilizer bag with a "poor" dead dog in it, which took weeks to decompose..... Magically two weeks ago....another bag turned up with yet another dead dog.....

Whatever goes on in these people's minds?

Edited by DD13
Space

And the vendors etc. making a living off their stretch of beach don't do a thing.

Because it's not their job.

And cleaning it in front of other Thais would make them lose face, like they are not only a cleaner. But a cleaner cleaning up someone else's mess that they're not tasked to do.

Pathetic society, culture, and outlook.  

most of this trash comes out the rivers, mostly the big one in the chonburi industrial area whose name eludes me. it only washes up on the beachs in certain conditions. theres many factories on the river because they use the  water, and also its free for them to dump all their waste in it. until there is the political will to make industry spend a little extra and clean up after itself theres no end in sight

Edited by phycokiller