U.S. not ruling out eventual direct talks with North Korea -deputy secretary of state

webfact

U.S. not ruling out eventual direct talks with North Korea -deputy secretary of state

tag-reuters.jpg

U.S Deputy Secretary of State John Sullivan speaks during the OAS 47th General Assembly in Cancun, Mexico June 20, 2017. REUTERS/Carlos Jasso/Files

TOKYO (Reuters) - The United States is not ruling out the eventual possibility of direct talks with North Korea, Deputy Secretary of State John J. Sullivan said on Tuesday.

"We eventually don't rule out the possibility of direct talks," Sullivan said after a briefing with his Japanese counterpart, Vice Minister for Foreign Affairs Shinsuke Sugiyama.

Sullivan will travel to South Korea after Japan. The visit comes ahead of an expected trip to the region by President Donald Trump next month and as tension in the region grows amid concern over North Korea's nuclear and missile tests.

(Reporting by Tim Kelly; Editing by Paul Tait)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-10-17

1 hour ago, baboon said:

A huge disappointment for some Thaivisa posters who are braying for a war they won't fight in themselves, but very welcome for the rest of us. Talking beats fighting hands down.

Talking has been going on for decades and got us to where we are today.  A rogue regime with nuclear weapons.  I'm against war.  I'm also against one country threatening to nuke another.  Which NK has been doing for years against the US, SK and Japan.  Now, Kim is threatening any country that supports the US.  I guess that would include all countries on the UN Security Council and the some 44 more that support sanctions? LOL.  Quite a long list.

N Korea and Kim must be totally confused with the reports from the USA. I know that I am.

Tillerson says one thing.

Trump contradicts and undercuts him, then changes his mind and sort of supports him.

Now John J Sullivan pops up in the mix.

1 hour ago, craigt3365 said:

Talking has been going on for decades and got us to where we are today.  A rogue regime with nuclear weapons.  I'm against war.  I'm also against one country threatening to nuke another.  Which NK has been doing for years against the US, SK and Japan.  Now, Kim is threatening any country that supports the US.  I guess that would include all countries on the UN Security Council and the some 44 more that support sanctions? LOL.  Quite a long list.

Are you against a preemptive military strike on the DPRK? 

I am totally opposed to a US military strike on NKorea with nuclear weapons or without. However, if NKorea launches a missile with a nuclear warhead and then tests it in the Pacific Ocean and fallout threatens several Asian countries- I would favor a complete Naval blockade of NKorea and a massive beef up of US Forces in ASia. At that point- there will be almost a universal UN sanction regime that takes place to include anyone who does business with NKorea and hopefully a UN Security Council resolution endorsing the blockade.  If NKorea again ignores the blockade and launches any aggressive action- I would then seek a resolution of way through the United Nations.