Power line Adapters

pj123

I've had a couple of these for over 5 years in various houses, the 500Mbps models. Just plug em in and they work. Only downside is they can be relatively slow, I kinda doubt video streaming or gaming would work well, but as a wifi extender they are great for phones and tablets. I'd recommend getting the fastest models for streaming.

Most of the time they will work, depending on house wiring, sometimes they will only work between outlets on the same cct breaker. They wont work across multiple phases.

Usually even the slowest power line adapters are faster than your internet connection. Streaming a HD movie needs around 5-10 Mbps.

I've been using powerline adapters in our 4 storey shophouse for six years. The current set up has two networks running side by side; TP Link Nano AV500 with 1 input and 3 outlets,  plus a pair of TP Link  AV1200 adapters. They're not all on the same wiring circuit,  just run through the same junction box.

20160711_164434.jpg

The system works very well.  Our TOT Fibre connection is 50/20 and I regularly get 40/15 on my TV on the top floor, so can happily stream video from my IPTV media box. That's with the AV1200 connection, speeds via the AV500 connection is about half that.

The faster adapters work using live, neutral and the earth wire, so three pin plugs, something to remember if your house is only wired as two pin.

Edited by Stocky

I've been using Powerlan for about 4 years. My phone line comes in on the wrong side of my condo and rather than run new wires I just put my modem where the phone socket is and then use two Powerlan adaptors to make the connection to my router which is on the other side of the condo.

I initially used these:

img_pla4231_main_600.jpg

which I bought here for around 2000B the pair. They worked OK but the covers kept falling off which I thought was a bit dangerous. Some PVC tape fixed that. They generally needed restarting once every couple of weeks but they were fast enough for my 18Mbs ADSL.

As the choice of such things here is so limited I kept my eyes open for sales in the UK and picked up a pair of newer D-Link 1Gbit ones for under GBP20. These never need restarting and are more than fast enough for my 50Mbs VDSL connection.

I swear by them. :thumbsup:

When I first turfed out TrueVisions and installed an Android Media Player box I had problems getting a good WiFi signal for the box.

I solved that problem by running a LAN cable from my PON router to a TP-Link AV500 Powerline Edition 300Mbps Wi-Fi Range Extender which plugs directly into the power socket in my computer room.

The AV500 Adapter plugs into the power sockets behind the TV's in my living room and master bedroom which have LAN cables connecting them to Android boxes connected to my TV's.

Final result: a "hard-wired" internet connection at fiber speed to my TV's and an extended WiFi range thanks to the TP-Link Extender and Adapters.

The extended WiFi is useful for the mobile devices (phones and tablets) that my family uses.

5 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

They wont work across multiple phases.

They do work across multiple phases provided they go through the same fuse/junction box with a single master breaker, however the network has a somewhat degraded signal which affects the download speed.

Download speed can be affected by as much as 50-75%.