Phuket’s OrBorJor arranging training courses for lifeguards while tourists drown on beaches

webfact

Phuket’s OrBorJor arranging training courses for lifeguards while tourists drown on beaches

During the training, there was also an officer from Royal Thai Navy Area 3 giving a lecture about marine rescues.

By Tim Newton

IMG_0088-681x411.jpg

Following two drownings and up to ten ‘near misses’ on Phuket’s beaches over the past week, the first class of 30 volunteer lifeguards joined the training course by the OrBorJor at the Cherngtalay sports centre yesterday (October 18).

Phuket’s Vice Governor, Saint Srivihok, paid a visit to the training session.

During the training, there was also an officer from Royal Thai Navy Area 3 giving a lecture about marine rescues.

Full story: https://www.phuketgazette.net/news/phukets-orborjor-arranging-training-courses-lifeguards-tourists-drown-beaches

pgazette_logo-20170817.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket Gazette 2017-10-19

What a perfect solution for the orborjor.  Unpaid volunteers with no experience whatsover.  Of course, they'll train and concentrate real hard though!

“Everyone at the training course was concentrating hard as it requires mental and physical strength as well as knowledge in rescuing. This team will help ensure the safety for beachgoers at the beaches of Phuket,” said the Vice Governor.

What the hell is going on in Phuket?

If there was a need identified before (and there was), there is a need now to have trained people on the beaches. Why are they not using the trained people that were there before? At least temporarily?

With "twp drownings and up to ten near misses", there is a BIG problem.

Are they just waiting for another death?

I am speechless.

The people at the top are just absolute fools with no idea what's required when it comes to surf life saving.

To top it off, just when you thought the comments made by those in charge couldnt get anymore ridiculous they come out with the below statement!

Total morons.

“Everyone at the training course was concentrating hard as it requires mental and physical strength as well as knowledge in rescuing. This team will help ensure the safety for beachgoers at the beaches of Phuket,” said the Vice Governor. 

Here's one, leave it to TAT.

Life saving adventure holidays in Phuket.

If you can swim and want to help your fellow man, spend your holiday time at the beach rescue Chinese tourist daily.

Foreign hero lifesaver visa available for small fee.

Every year, for as long as i can remember, there had been the usual week or two of "oops, we forgot to think about renewing the lifeguard contract, I guess nobody will save the tourists from drowning while we renegociate". I thought people in charge could not be more stupid.

I was wrongly mistaken, this time, not only did they forget about the lifeguard contract until it was expired, but this time they decided to start from scratch and forget about all the already trained lifeguards.

15 minutes ago, pistachios said:

Every year, for as long as i can remember, there had been the usual week or two of "oops, we forgot to think about renewing the lifeguard contract, I guess nobody will save the tourists from drowning while we renegociate". I thought people in charge could not be more stupid.

I was wrongly mistaken, this time, not only did they forget about the lifeguard contract until it was expired, but this time they decided to start from scratch and forget about all the already trained lifeguards.

Can any of these new 'guards' even swim?

Navy lifeguard training ignored by new inexperienced beach safety personnel

Tanyaluk Sakoot

1508402695_1.jpg

A total of 37 Phuket residents are currently taking part in the three-day lifeguard training course being conducted by the Royal Thai Navy. Photo: Phuket PR Office

PHUKET: A total of 37 Phuket residents are currently taking part in the three-day lifeguard training course being conducted by the Royal Thai Navy which began yesterday (Oct 18).

The course was organised in response to the recent dispute between the Phuket Lifeguard Service and the Phuket Provincial Administrative Organization (PPAO) which led to trained lifeguards ending their patrols of Phuket’s beaches and being replaced by an ad-hoc assemblage of untrained government personnel.

Despite the fact that the training course was clearly intended to train the personnel replacing Phuket’s experienced lifeguards, it appears that the 37 attendees are members of the public and that none of the government personal now tasked with rescue and water safety on the islands beaches are taking part.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/navy-lifeguard-training-ignored-by-new-inexperienced-beach-safety-personnel-64366.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-10-19

As a former Red Cross Water Safety Instructor I am appalled.
I am sure the Navy instructors are competent, but cannot believe this situation has been allowed to develop just before the high season.
This would possibly be an area where the job restrictions for farangs could usefully be relaxed. It would be hard to improve on surf rescue folks from Australia, NZ, Cali or Hawaii.

19 hours ago, webfact said:

replaced by an ad-hoc assemblage of untrained government personnel.

19 hours ago, webfact said:

None of the government personal now tasked with rescue and water safety on the islands beaches are taking part

This instills me with so much confidence.... perhaps the smoking ban on beachs is a blessing in disguise.

best they hold off on further massage parlor crackdowns or else there will be no happy endings for anyone this high season.