Cashing UK cheque in Thailand

3 hours ago, JaseTheBass said:

I dont have a UK account nor know anyone with the same name as me.

Sent from my Cray II supercomputer

I use Bangkok Bank, i received a cheque from the UK revenue office in GBP. The amount was converted and transferred to my Baht account with zero issues. 

I use Bangkok Bank, i received a cheque from the UK revenue office in GBP. The amount was converted and transferred to my Baht account with zero issues. 
I guess I'll have to open an account with them again. It might even last longer than the 3 months I had one of them before.

Thanks.

1 minute ago, JaseTheBass said:

I guess I'll have to open an account with them again. It might even last longer than the 3 months I had one of them before.

Thanks.

Previously i was told for a foreign cheque it takes ages to clear, the manager at BB told me it depends on whare and who issued the cheque, i received the funds in my account the following day.

I am based in Ubon and to open a USD, AUD, GBP, is no issue with BB. I ditched Kasikorn long time ago and been very happy with the service and the big plus of the manager being able to communicate in fluent English

1 hour ago, Isan Farang said:

Previously i was told for a foreign cheque it takes ages to clear, the manager at BB told me it depends on whare and who issued the cheque, i received the funds in my account the following day.

I am based in Ubon and to open a USD, AUD, GBP, is no issue with BB. I ditched Kasikorn long time ago and been very happy with the service and the big plus of the manager being able to communicate in fluent English

Actually it normally takes 3-4 weeks to clear in the past but they use on-line system for smaller US checks now with immediate or next day service.  I net deposit directly to my US account so have not used that service.

19 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Why do you need to cash it here?  No account in UK?  Any UK friend/family (here or there) that can deposit to their account and give you baht?

A UK crossed cheque needs to go through an account in the name of the payee as written on the cheque.

A UK based friend can deposit it into his account, presuming he has a UK account.

28 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

A UK crossed cheque needs to go through an account in the name of the payee as written on the cheque.

A UK based friend can deposit it into his account, presuming he has a UK account.

You can not endorse a UK check to another person as in USA then?

SPECIAL ENDORSEMENT - This method allows you to sign your check over to someone else (a third party) who may then deposit it or cash it. Write "Pay to the order of" and then the name of the person you are giving the check to. Then, as above, sign your name underneath. Now you can give your check to that individual.

image.png.df001df9eda935625fc4c0ee1dcd9ece.png

Edited by lopburi3

I got paid 100.- USD by cheque from an American Company for my online services in 2012. Bangkok Bank was able to cash it and transfer the left over to my Bangkok Bank banking account. Getting 30.5 THB on the Dollar, minus the costs. It took about 45 days and 830 THB was transferred into my account. It only took them 2,220 THB (72 USD) for international transaction costs, check cashing fees... 

Cashing checks in USD from American Companies costs at Bangkok Bank:

- up to 100.- USD -> 2,000 THB
- up to 1,000.- USD -> 8,000 THB
- up to 10,000 USD (limit) -> 40,000 THB...

Edited by PAIBKK

23 hours ago, shady86 said:

You can't cash in a overseas cheque unless it's a traveller's cheque.

you can cash a overseas cheque.....if its a uk cheque its sent back to the UK and processed there then the money is sent to your bank account here in Thailand....takes around 4 weeks and cost 10 usd or 600 b....ive done it from a jungle bank and so has my wife....

20 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

You can not endorse a UK check to another person as in USA then?

image.png.df001df9eda935625fc4c0ee1dcd9ece.png

The OP talks of a UK cheque.

No I do not believe so, it is against regulations after 1992.

There are some high street agencies that claim to cash cheques, they were for people who wanted their payday cheque cash quick! Not sure how it would work out there.

I have put a UK cheque into my local Bangkok Bank account which took some time, but cleared, and was also subjected to an expensive transfer fee from their London branch. Years ago though.

Edited by jacko45k

I regularly pay Sterling cheques into my Kasikorn bank account. They won't cash them but they do deposit them converted into Baht into my account. I've never been charged for the service.

Sadly the experts at Kasikorn in Nimman, CM said they don't do that anymore and haven't for a while. I don't doubt that you do it, its just the normal case of Thai professionalism.

I went to Bangkok Bank in KSK and they said yes, but I would need to have the account open for 6 months before I could deposit the cheque. I'm in no hurry, so I agreed. They then told me that they wouldn't accept a cheque that is more than 6 months old. So, I clarified that my only reason for opening an account with them was so I could deposit this cheque (and one more in the future), but they wouldn't actually accept it. 'Yes' was the reply. I told them I didn't want to bank with such stupid people and tried SCB...

At the SCB they had the same 6 month rule for how long the account had to be open, but no limit on the age of the cheque. Their phone app negates need for an ATM card and looked better than any others I had used. So, we went with them.

I might get the missus to try another K Bank branch, just to see. If by chance Knee Jerk Reaction is in Chiang Mai, then I'd like to know which branch he uses.

Sent from my R2D2 droid using my C3P0 manservant

5 hours ago, JaseTheBass said:

Sadly the experts at Kasikorn in Nimman, CM said they don't do that anymore and haven't for a while. I don't doubt that you do it, its just the normal case of Thai professionalism.

I went to Bangkok Bank in KSK and they said yes, but I would need to have the account open for 6 months before I could deposit the cheque. I'm in no hurry, so I agreed. They then told me that they wouldn't accept a cheque that is more than 6 months old. So, I clarified that my only reason for opening an account with them was so I could deposit this cheque (and one more in the future), but they wouldn't actually accept it. 'Yes' was the reply. I told them I didn't want to bank with such stupid people and tried SCB...

At the SCB they had the same 6 month rule for how long the account had to be open, but no limit on the age of the cheque. Their phone app negates need for an ATM card and looked better than any others I had used. So, we went with them.

I might get the missus to try another K Bank branch, just to see. If by chance Knee Jerk Reaction is in Chiang Mai, then I'd like to know which branch he uses.

Sent from my R2D2 droid using my C3P0 manservant

Hi, I live in Bangkok. I've had an account at the same branch since 1986 and paid Sterling cheques into it since then. Like many things here each branch probably sets it's own rules. 

I've had a Kasikorn account for about 8 years and regularly cashed my own UK cheques there up to 2015. They took 30-45 days to clear and the fee was US$10 (These days I use Transferwise to get at my UK funds). This is a small sub-branch in a central Bangkok mall.