30-day Tourist Visa extension at Jomtien

Just "FYI"

For the last 2 years I've done 2 such extensions, March 2016 and 2017 each one (coincidentally) 10 days in advance of my "permission to stay" date. No comments were made on either occasion.

• 3 months later...

Thanks for this heads-up. 

My 60 day visa ends the last of January so I'm about to extended this coming week. It's my first extension ever. 

I tried Google but got mixed info. What documents do I need? Do I need to make any copies beforehand? 

Some links said I needed a verification from my Hotel, some didn't mention it. 

On 1/21/2018 at 9:07 PM, aldriglikvid said:

tried Google but got mixed info. What documents do I need? Do I need to make any copies beforehand? 

You will need a completed TM7 form with a 4 X 6 cm photo attached, copies of your passport photo page, visa, entry stamp and TM6 departure card.

On 1/21/2018 at 9:07 PM, aldriglikvid said:

Some links said I needed a verification from my Hotel, some didn't mention it. 

Your hotel should of the done a report to immigration online if not you will be asked for a TM30 form.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, aldriglikvid said:

Excellent! May I ask if you know a place in Pattaya that produce 4 x 6 photos on the go? :) 

Not sure but I am certain there is a shop near the immigration office that can do the photos.

Had a friend go yesterday for 30day extension of stay,he was fined 1600 Baht because the owner/agent had not reported him staying at the condo. Seems that the person renting pays the fine if the owner/agent fails to register your stay within 3 days of arrival.

7 minutes ago, aldriglikvid said:

I'm staying at a guesthouse. Should ask them to register me then? 

By law they should of already done it. Ask them about it since they may of done it online. If they have all you will need is a receipt from them so immigration can check to see if it was done.

I'm getting a bit stirred up and anxious because everything is not falling in place. My guesthouse is giving me the "we will do it tomorrow", since friday. I have upon tuesday at latest to extend my visa...

Today my GH was unaware of this document of 2 pages that they are supposed to do, and which i'm supposed to hand in next to my own visa extension document (tm7). 

Can I find the document online ? (I forgot to take one at the immigration office and it's far away...). I wanna give it to the GH for them to prepare tonight. I'm able to the find the tm7 online. 

7 minutes ago, aldriglikvid said:

I'm getting a bit stirred up and anxious because everything is not falling in place. My guesthouse is giving me the "we will do it tomorrow", since friday. I have upon tuesday at latest to extend my visa...

Today my GH was unaware of this document of 2 pages that they are supposed to do, and which i'm supposed to hand in next to my own visa extension document (tm7). 

Can I find the document online ? (I forgot to take one at the immigration office and it's far away...). I wanna give it to the GH for them to prepare tonight. I'm able to the find the tm7 online. 

Thai Visa has most of the forms.

5 hours ago, NamH2O said:

It's much easier to screw the farrang's when they tund up at immigration,than chase landlords,hotel and guest house owners.

If the landlord refuses to pay he will loses his right to let out his property and have permanent problems with immigration as will all his future tenants. Anyway it is apparent this application of these rules are aimed at transients, border runner's and tourist visa extenders because so many of them either over stay or extract the urine.....Maybe....TIT. One thing for sure it's related to changes in areas of the power structure over the last few years.

2 hours ago, The manic said:

If the landlord refuses to pay he will loses his right to let out his property and have permanent problems with immigration as will all his future tenants. Anyway it is apparent this application of these rules are aimed at transients, border runner's and tourist visa extenders because so many of them either over stay or extract the urine.....Maybe....TIT. One thing for sure it's related to changes in areas of the power structure over the last few years.

It affects those who visit the immigration office, as well as larger hotels. These are easy to check up on. Individuals staying in private residences who do not visit immigration would require too much effort to track down. Similarly, whether the foreigner visiting an immigration office is really responsible for a TM30 report, it is much easier to fine the one in front of the official than trying to find and fine the person actually responsible.

5 hours ago, The manic said:

Anyway it is apparent this application of these rules are aimed at transients, border runner's and tourist visa extenders because so many of them either over stay or extract the urine.....Maybe....TIT.

Most of the reports of fines I have read are from people married to a Thai.  Some cases of fines I witnessed, while waiting in line to submit my own TM-30, were condo-owners who didn't "report themselves" for living where they would be very easy to find.  The TM-28 is the logical form which a foreigner would ever be concerned with - and for practicality, only if residing at a new address - not returning to the one already on file.

This system could serve an important purpose; but like nearly every other Immigration policy, has been twisted and broken into a money-extraction system with little to no value to the nation's security.  We can only hope for a full-scale Immigration corruption-clean out, before some preventable tragedy occurs.

• Like 1

If some immig. offices are really fining innocent tourists because their hotel didn`t submit this form then thats just a blatant scam.If they did that to me I would complain loudly and make as much fuss as possible ( short of getting arrested ),and probably not come back to Thailand.Alternatively,go to another office that doesn`t do this,or make a border run for the extra 30 days.

• Like 1

I don't want to make this thread about me, but here's the follow up on my visa extension. 

I went to the immigration office with the computer-signed tm7, computer-signed tm30 (attached with the tm30 was a ID-photocopy, phonenumber and signature of the hotel manager), hotel receipt of payment, hotel business card, passport + 2 copies, tm6 + 2 copies, visa + 2 copies. 

I was initially turned away because the hotel didn't do a seperate note of the adress of my stay. Please remember that that this is more or less the very essence of the tm30 (and don't forget the second page of the tm7 where my adress is stated again). 

I had to go in a separate room and the lady pointed to the businss card of the hotel and said "if you call I can speak". 

I then took the above mentioned hotel receipt because on that page the hotel manager left me her personal phonenumber in case of problems. But no, she wanted me to call the number of the card. 

They talked and she wrote down my adress on the tm30 (just randomly on the white blank area, because everything else was filled) and finally I had my 30 day tourist visa extended. 

I love this country and they may run it the way they see fit - but there are rooms for productivity improvements. 

Edited by aldriglikvid

I went in January w 7 days left. They told me to return Monday, 60 days was Thursday. When I went on Monday they told me to return on Wednesday (day before 60 days).

Now they give you a receipt for the housemaster form and then you have to copy the receipt. I had everything they previously required but two different people told to to get copies of 2 different things. So went to copy place 2 more times and stood in a total of 3 lines and went to Jomtien immigration 3 times,

Until now i always thought that people only get fined because they have a friend staying with them and they don't do a TM30 (which is the responsibility of the house owner). Now it seems that your friend got fined 1600THB for not doing a TM28 (which is his responsibility, but it seems until not too long ago nobody cared about these)

So actually it would probably have been ok if you simply filed a TM28, to file the TM30 would have been the responsibility of the guesthouse, if they don't do it they can be fined.

Did your friend who payed the 1600THB get a receipt and can you upload a photo of it?

1 hour ago, jackdd said:

Until now i always thought that people only get fined because they have a friend staying with them and they don't do a TM30 (which is the responsibility of the house owner). Now it seems that your friend got fined 1600THB for not doing a TM28 (which is his responsibility, but it seems until not too long ago nobody cared about these)

So actually it would probably have been ok if you simply filed a TM28, to file the TM30 would have been the responsibility of the guesthouse, if they don't do it they can be fined.

Did your friend who payed the 1600THB get a receipt and can you upload a photo of it?

I stand to be corrected, but I think the fine was for failure to submit a TM30 notification. Sometimes, you must legitimately do the TM30 report yourself as the main possessor of the property (even if not the owner). Where this is not the case, many immigration officials will simply fine you anyway, and tell you to get it back from the owner. It is a lot easier than chasing the owner themselves.