30-day Tourist Visa extension at Jomtien

5 minutes ago, BritTim said:

I stand to be corrected, but I think the fine was for failure to submit a TM30 notification. Sometimes, you must legitimately do the TM30 report yourself as the main possessor of the property (even if not the owner). Where this is not the case, many immigration officials will simply fine you anyway, and tell you to get it back from the owner. It is a lot easier than chasing the owner themselves.

This might be the case if you stay at a house which you rent, but when you stay at a hotel you can't be seen as any of the things the law lists: "The housemaster, the owner or the possessor of the residence, or the hotel manager [...]" 

And i think not even in Thailand you can be fined for something that another person did wrong. So i wonder what they are going to do if you refuse the rightless fine and show them the law / talk with their boss. Will they back off?

7 minutes ago, jackdd said:

So i wonder what they are going to do if you refuse the rightless fine and show them the law / talk with their boss. Will they back off?

As long as you do not need any service from them (such as an extension) they will probably not press the matter. Immigration officials are police officers, so this is not 100% risk free. Although highly unlikely, they are empowered to arrest you! If you need an extension, I recommend against the barrack room lawyer approach. If sufficiently upset, they can erect all kinds of obstacles to receiving an extension which is always officially granted at the discretion of immigration.

30 minutes ago, NamH2O said:

No receipt,in desperation he paid the guy outside immigration to sort it out he charged him 500 Baht,took about 1 hour he was just handed his passport back with the 30 extension Total Cost 4000 Baht no receipt's.

So they found a new way to extort money from the unknowing people

Out of curiosity for the details i just checked the laws regarding TM28/TM30 found in the Immigration Act, B.E. 2522: http://library.siam-legal.com/thai-law/thai-immigration-act-temporary-stay-in-the-kingdom-sections-34-39/

I also checked the original Thai script, if the translation seems accurate, as far as i can judge it is translated accurately: http://www.sc.mahidol.ac.th/IC/images/thailaw_immigration_act_thai.pdf

To follow Section 38 in the law the matching form should be the TM30

And Section 37 2 and 3 should be the form TM28

As mentioned before, TM30 is not to be submitted by the visitor, so i would refuse to pay any fine regarding this

And i think if you did the TM28, they won't try to fine you for a missing TM30 anyway.

As you can see in 37 3 it is written that you have to report to the police (not immigration, in section 38 for example they write clearly immigration police, and it's like this in the Thai original too), so you are supposed to hand the TM28 form to the "normal" police (immigration police would of course accept it too).

So now we can of course imagine if you show up at the police station to submit your TM28 they have no idea what this is. So if i were late to report the address and would fear a fine at the immigration, i would go to the police station with my TM28, and if you insist long enough and show them the law which clearly says it's their responsibility they will sign it, and of course they will never have the idea to check anything regarding this form or try to fine you if you are late, they are just happy to get rid of you. Then put the receipt in the passport and go to the immigration to apply for the extension. Like this the immigration will probably also not think about fining you.

Edited by jackdd

21 hours ago, jackdd said:

As mentioned before, TM30 is not to be submitted by the visitor, so i would refuse to pay any fine regarding this

Having seen stand-offs on this twice (and many others just pay), here is how it goes down:

• Applicant: (variation on) "I should not have to pay this / never heard of this / never required before in years I've been living here / never told-warned.."
  • Immigration: "It is the law.  You are responsible for knowing the law.  Are you going to pay?"

At this point, there are two paths:

A)

• Applicant: "No"
  • Immigration: "Then you can leave now."  (service the applicant came for will not be rendered - at which point the applicant usually caves-in to the extortion.)

B)

• Applicant: "Yes"
  • Immigration: (processes service)

12 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Having seen stand-offs on this twice (and many others just pay), here is how it goes down:

• Applicant: (variation on) "I should not have to pay this / never heard of this / never required before in years I've been living here / never told-warned.."
  • Immigration: "It is the law.  You are responsible for knowing the law.  Are you going to pay?"

At this point, there are two paths:

A)

• Applicant: "No"
  • Immigration: "Then you can leave now."  (service the applicant came for will not be rendered - at which point the applicant usually caves-in to the extortion.)

B)

• Applicant: "Yes"
  • Immigration: (processes service)

C)

Come in the next day, maybe then there is another IO who doesn't try to extort money

D)

Submit the TM28 as explained before, i really doubt they will still try to fine you if you have the receipt from this.

E)

Drive to another province where they don't care about this and do it there (Of course this could take some time and gas, so it isn't "cost effective", but if one enjoys a little trip...)

1 hour ago, jackdd said:

C) Come in the next day, maybe then there is another IO who doesn't try to extort money

Won't work at Jomtien, in the context of a Tourist of Family type extension.  Retirement seem not to care.

D) Submit the TM28 as explained before, i really doubt they will still try to fine you if you have the receipt from this.

I'd like to see this tried - doubt it would work - but if I ever screw up and forget to 'report myself' with a TM0-30, may try it.

E) Drive to another province where they don't care about this and do it there (Of course this could take some time and gas, so it isn't "cost effective", but if one enjoys a little trip...)

Many things can only be done at your local office.  Tourists could go to Bangkok for a night, and do this for an extension.

Edited by JackThompson

• 7 months later...
3 hours ago, hoyism said:

Please can some one tell me EXACTLY what i need to take to Jomtirn immigration to get a 1 month visa extension? My 90 day visa expires on Friday. 

If you have a 90 day visa (Non-O) you can't get a 30 day extension.

Or do you mean that you have a TR60 tourist visa which gave you 60 day at entry? if so you can extend this by 30 day to make it 90 days in total.

5 hours ago, merijn said:

If you have a 90 day visa (Non-O) you can't get a 30 day extension.

Or do you mean that you have a TR60 tourist visa which gave you 60 day at entry? if so you can extend this by 30 day to make it 90 days in total.

Yes that is what i meant. What do i need to take to immigration? 

34 minutes ago, hoyism said:

Yes that is what i meant. What do i need to take to immigration? 

Do you have a TM30 receipt stapled into your passport as well as the TM6 departure card?

If not, you will have to take a rental contract and/or copy of the landlord's I.D. card or details of the hotel to get the TM30 receipt and expect a 1600 Baht fine for not reporting within 24 hours.

After that palaver at counter 10, you'll need passport photos, copies of your passport, TM6, TM30, details page, visa sticker and entry stamp, a completed TM7 form (new style not old style) and 1900 Baht.

Edited by Briggsy

4 hours ago, Briggsy said:

If not, you will have to take a rental contract and/or copy of the landlord's I.D. card or details of the hotel to get the TM30 receipt and expect a 1600 Baht fine for not reporting within 24 hours.

If he stayed at a hotel they most likely reported him and he doesn't need these things.

Maybe take a business card of the hotel if they ask where you stay

22 minutes ago, jackdd said:

If he stayed at a hotel they most likely reported him and he doesn't need these things.

A business-card plus a receipt for payment to the hotel were reported as needed at some point.  Unfortunately, these things are subject to change, so apply early (up to a week before the end of permitted-stay is usually OK (high-season may differ on the early-apply aspect). 

1 hour ago, jackdd said:

If the hotel did the registration as they should do they can print the registration confirmation when the online registration is done.

This print out can be used for the address registration confirmation.  (put it into your passport)

1 hour ago, merijn said:

If the hotel did the registration as they should do they can print the registration confirmation when the online registration is done.

This print out can be used for the address registration confirmation.  (put it into your passport)

Thank you for that. I saw your comment before i went to immigration and did as you said:        1.I took a print out of my hotels online registration to immigration ( of my arrival/booking).                          2.I also took the hotel's business card which the officer asked to see as i didn't write the name of the hotel correctly on the form. The staff were friendly and quick.                                      I went in at 11.20am and was out by mid-day, job done! Thanks again. 

Edited by hoyism
  • Like 1