Senior Citizen - 82. Impossible to Get Insurance Moving Here Permanently?

freedomnow

On 19/10/2017 at 8:07 PM, JamesH said:

But why would you need Medical Insurance. OK, if you use the private hospitals then they are probably expensive and costs may be hard to cover depending on your condition, from your living expenses/savings. What is is wrong with the Government hospitals? I had reason to visit my local hospital today, albeit I only spent about 10 minutes with a doctor but my bill amounted to the grand sum of Baht 50. Never had a problem with a Government hospital.

On 19/10/2017 at 8:21 PM, hobobo said:

I would go to a Government Hospital with an ingrown toenail, even a cracked rib. But I wouldn't trust them with managing my atherosclerosis...

On 19/10/2017 at 10:34 PM, tryasimight said:

Then you pay, pretty simple isn't it?

They don't manage your atherosclerosis...you do.

So you pay....or not...same as in  most countries if you want priority treatment.

If you want to wait 12-18 months then it is much  cheaper.....,maybe even 'free'

I was in the large Udon Thani Government Hospital after a motorbike accident - broken fingers and wrist on both hands - all got wired - open wounds too on arms and legs - 1,5 hours General Anesthesia Operation same night - I was satisfied and paid 13.000 Baht for Operation - 5.000 Baht for 5 nights stay in a standard more bedded room.

Cannot complain. ??

Only one night in a Private room and a bit medicine, in a Private Hospital - costs often double the amount, what I paid for Operation and 5 nights. ?

Edited by ALFREDO

8 hours ago, ALFREDO said:

I was in the large Udon Thani Government Hospital after a motorbike accident - broken fingers and wrist on both hands - all got wired - open wounds too on arms and legs - 1,5 hours General Anesthesia Operation same night - I was satisfied and paid 13.000 Baht for Operation - 5.000 Baht for 5 nights stay in a standard more bedded room.

Cannot complain. ??

Only one night in a Private room and a bit medicine, in a Private Hospital - costs often double the amount, what I paid for Operation and 5 nights. ?

I could never stay on a ward (I presume that's what you mean by "more bedded room"), I'm afraid that my snoring might kill the other occupants 555. I guess that, and many other factors, influenced my decision to have the best medical insurance I can afford. It's a personal choice.

On 10/20/2017 at 2:48 AM, Enoon said:

"last 3 months of their life" usually means the last 3 months of a bag of wrinkled skin, incontinence and misery, because the greatest percentage of health budgets in developed countries is spent on the over 70's.

Time for a radical rethink on mortality and dealing with it (worldwide), because maintaining and keeping the unhealthy elderly alive is rapidly sucking whats left of the blood out of Western economies, and will do so to the developing world.

Let 'em die.

And make it easy for those who want to go before they become that wreck in a hospital bed.

"They need to get on with it and decrease the surplus population" (paraphrase E. Scrooge.) I think we have room to agree. End the ridiculous "laws" that forbid me to end my own life managed by a healthcare professional. I am not a person who fears death...not in a rush, mind you! Just wish for a peaceful passing. Not eligible at 70 for insurance that will cover my pre-exiting cholesterol/heart issues. So, self-insured with the addition of a $5000.00 per year BC/BS Seniors plan.

Edited by wwest5829

Thai-based insurers will not issue a new policy to someone your age but there are several international (UK/EU based) insurers who offer expat policies who will. Look into Cigna Global and Gloabilty Health.

Premiums are high for older people, no question there. You can reduce them by accepting a deductible and/or copay but will still be almost double what it costs someone aged say 50.  The odds that you will end up using the insurance in a given year are also vastly greater.

On 21/10/2017 at 8:25 AM, hobobo said:

I could never stay on a ward (I presume that's what you mean by "more bedded room"), I'm afraid that my snoring might kill the other occupants 555. I guess that, and many other factors, influenced my decision to have the best medical insurance I can afford. It's a personal choice.

Lol - snoring - To bad for the others - I snore too - ?

For the insurance - if somebody can afford it - but I could not anymore!

No choice - fact. ?

But on the other hand - my mother paid always for me Private Number 1 insurance as a child and I paid it later myself for 50 years all together,

Cannot recount back but thinking from the last sums I paid.

Let us say 100 Dollar a month - no Hairsplitting here now 

1.200×50 = 60.000 Dollar

And what did they had to pay - 

A accident in Phuket with Moto

20.000 Baht and some Blood pressure medicin and some more 30 Dollar a month =  for 10 years - 3.600

So 4.000 Dollar against 60.000

??

The problem is that the people who cannot afford insurance also cannot afford medical care, even in a government hospital, for anything really major. Bills can easily exceed 1 million baht in a govt hospital if a major accident or catastrophic illness requiring long ICU care, specialized surgeries etc.