Navy lifeguard training ignored by new inexperienced beach safety personnel

snoop1130

Navy lifeguard training ignored by new inexperienced beach safety personnel

Tanyaluk Sakoot

1508402695_1.jpg

PHUKET:-- A total of 37 Phuket residents are currently taking part in the three-day lifeguard training course being conducted by the Royal Thai Navy which began yesterday (Oct 18).

The course was organised in response to the recent dispute between the Phuket Lifeguard Service and the Phuket Provincial Administrative Organization (PPAO) which led to trained lifeguards ending their patrols of Phuket’s beaches and being replaced by an ad-hoc assemblage of untrained government personnel.

Despite the fact that the training course was clearly intended to train the personnel replacing Phuket’s experienced lifeguards, it appears that the 37 attendees are members of the public and that none of the government personnel now tasked with rescue and water safety on the island's beaches are taking part.

Full Story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/navy-lifeguard-training-ignored-by-new-inexperienced-beach-safety-personnel-64366.php#b4RJK7pryyCYOpFj.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-10-19

I dont believe a 3 day course in a pool will be much of a livesaving qualification considering real lifeguards have years of training across all sea conditions, competitions in all conditions and are guided by the even more experienced.

I can see these amateur sinking human bouys regularly requiring a rescue

.......... but, but, but- the waves will die down (pardon the pun) at the end of the month and everything will be hunky-dory an official said last week, so no need for trained lifeguards.

Don't panic Mr Mainwearing- the weather is your friend.

1 hour ago, Reigntax said:

I dont believe a 3 day course in a pool will be much of a livesaving qualification considering real lifeguards have years of training across all sea conditions, competitions in all conditions and are guided by the even more experienced.

I can see these amateur sinking human bouys regularly requiring a rescue

I wonder how many of the attendees are even proficient swimmers.

Who floated the idea of using people without previous experience to become lifeguards after three days training? Sorry to make waves, but the question has to be asked. Seems like we may see more reports of beach goers rescuing lifeguards.:saai:

Bronze Medallion (the minimum pool requirement) is listed as a 14 hour course in Horstroylia. Pool and sea conditions are completely different though and the training does not instill my confidence as to their ability.

This is a cop-out and publicity stunt, potentially putting even more lives at risk, with people on the beaches thinking these guys are capable.

Edited by Psimbo

38 minutes ago, Gandtee said:

Who floated the idea of using people without previous experience to become lifeguards after three days training? Sorry to make waves, but the question has to be asked. Seems like we may see more reports of beach goers rescuing lifeguards.:saai:

I see what you did there!