Ex British Royal Marine running for the Great Rama IX says sorry to the Thai people from his hospital bed - but he will make it to Hua Hin even if he has to walk

webfact

15 hours ago, robusto said:

British army veteran's Thai fundraiser turned out to be fraud. Hmmm.

Are you trying to guilt trip people for suggesting maybe you could provide some evidence that this money is actually being handed over to its rightful recipients on the very same day another British ex-army veteran was busted for a fraudulent charity collection, Nardrunner?

I mean yeah the boxes are all sealed and just call the hospital, but noone here knows about those seals, and if you call the main number of the hospital, they won't have a clue what you're talking about and will likely answer "kaa" to everything you're saying.

So it's basically you saying you're not like those other guys. Ok, I hope so too. But I won't feel bad asking for evidence about it.

So it's basically you saying you're not like those other guys. Ok, I hope so too. But I won't feel bad asking for evidence about it.

Did you donate to the fund?

If you did then good for you, and if you didn't you have nothing to worry about.

Let somebody who did donate ask that question if they want to.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@robusto

I completely understand if you want me to be 100% transparent and I will be with you!

please email me at <<<<Email removed, please use PM function to contact>>>> and I will provide a point of contact at Siriraj Hospital with whom you can talk.

The professor I will put you in touch with was the one who provided the 3 donation boxes and was also the person who suggested I use the hospital account details for online donations instead of an account set up for the event as it would alleviate a lot of exactly what I'm experiencing now regarding people suggesting I'm some sort of scammer. I'm so glad I listened to him!

Hua Hin City Hall had one of those boxes during my event so I only ever handled 2 of the boxes, which were locked and placed in my support vehicle.

This is about as much as I can prove until you speak to the above mentioned professor at Siriraj. The Dean of the hospital will also be able to provide some input as he personally supported my event after a meeting with him.

If I'd have known I'd be subjected to an open house audit for 2 collection boxes, I'd have captured every donation on a Go-Pro, marked all the notes with a designated serial number in fluorescent ink under the watchful eye of a witness all whilst being photographed by an independent charity QC. Then again, I didn't think that 2 collection boxes warranted that.

By the way, I've also sold poppies in the U.K. on a few different occasions. I'll put you in touch with the RBL so you can audit me there too if you like? Those boxes didn't have locks, only seals but hey, guess what? No open house audits????

On a serious note, I'd really like to welcome you to meet me so you can sit down and find out really what I'm all about, what drives me, what my passions are, what my history is. In fact, I'd like to offer every negative poster this opportunity! Coffee is on me. Don't just sit there behind your keyboards, come for a coffee and get to know me a bit better and then if, if you want to return and continue your negative input, well then I'd be a lot happier with that.

Thanks,

Chris.

Edited by metisdead
18) You will not post phone numbers, email addresses, business names, or web/Facebook/Twitter/Google+ addresses in posts or signatures.

On 11/9/2017 at 9:15 AM, NardRunner said:

@robusto

I completely understand if you want me to be 100% transparent and I will be with you!

please email me at <<<<Email removed, please use PM function to contact>>>> and I will provide a point of contact at Siriraj Hospital with whom you can talk.

The professor I will put you in touch with was the one who provided the 3 donation boxes and was also the person who suggested I use the hospital account details for online donations instead of an account set up for the event as it would alleviate a lot of exactly what I'm experiencing now regarding people suggesting I'm some sort of scammer. I'm so glad I listened to him!

Hua Hin City Hall had one of those boxes during my event so I only ever handled 2 of the boxes, which were locked and placed in my support vehicle.

This is about as much as I can prove until you speak to the above mentioned professor at Siriraj. The Dean of the hospital will also be able to provide some input as he personally supported my event after a meeting with him.

If I'd have known I'd be subjected to an open house audit for 2 collection boxes, I'd have captured every donation on a Go-Pro, marked all the notes with a designated serial number in fluorescent ink under the watchful eye of a witness all whilst being photographed by an independent charity QC. Then again, I didn't think that 2 collection boxes warranted that.

By the way, I've also sold poppies in the U.K. on a few different occasions. I'll put you in touch with the RBL so you can audit me there too if you like? Those boxes didn't have locks, only seals but hey, guess what? No open house audits????

On a serious note, I'd really like to welcome you to meet me so you can sit down and find out really what I'm all about, what drives me, what my passions are, what my history is. In fact, I'd like to offer every negative poster this opportunity! Coffee is on me. Don't just sit there behind your keyboards, come for a coffee and get to know me a bit better and then if, if you want to return and continue your negative input, well then I'd be a lot happier with that.

Thanks,

Chris.

I was one of the people who reacted negatively to your quest. That was before you become known on here and you were merely some person mentioned in a media report. Now that we know you personally we can communicate on a more personal level.

I did say you were "nuts", but I'll change that now to state that I believe your activity was ill-conceived. It was bad enough to seriously risk your personal health, but continuing to run on a damaged ankle when you were not even 1/3 of the way was definitely "nuts". There is no amount of "training" that can prepare the human body for 2 x 32km per day runs for 14 consecutive days. That's over 1.5 marathon distances per day for 14 days. Seriously? It's amazing you made it as far as you did and you should be proud of that effort. There's no need to feel down about it and that you failed. You failed at something that is impossible for you to achieve but made a herculean effort trying. There's no doubt you are a tough individual with plenty of drive, but it was ill-conceived.

I'm near 60 and have arthritis in the knees, so I appreciate being able to walk. Perhaps you are too young to appreciate the value a healthy body with healthy joints, so you risk them on silly ventures. You really should think about taking better care of your body now so it lasts longer.

Regarding the fund-raising aspect of your quest. Your motivation was admirable, but surely you could have come up with more reasonable and safer ways to raise money than risking life and limb. What about a 900km walk? It would have lasted longer and given you more time to collect donations along the way. What about a 900km run over a much longer period? Once again - more time to collect donations. Why the rush?

@tropo Thank you for that post. 

In all honesty, it was the sprained ankle that snowballed and ruined my efforts. Had the ankle not have flared up, I sincerely believe that I would have finished this event with no major problems. I know we can "if" as many times as we like and it doesn't change a thing. 

You're absolutely right to say I was nuts running on a sprained ankle though! Especially with over 600k left to run. I just didn't want to give up.

Have a look at 'JOGLE' run. This is a run conducted in the U.K. for a longer distance per day and over a longer period of time. These runners amount up to and sometimes over 50 miles per day but they have absolutely amazing support and recovery teams.

Anyway, you're right again regarding taking good care of myself. Once I finish the remaining 570k, I'm hanging my ultra-running shoes up and going back into, let's say sports with less impact.

tropo, thank you for your reply and I look forward to maybe reading another post from you once my 570k gets underway?

Take care,

NardRunner.

@Orton Rd

Hello mate.

The reason I chose Siriraj Hospital is because the run was being conducted in the memory of King Bhumibol Adulyadej. The Navaminbopit building project was one of his final projects before passing and was unfinished, so I believed it to be a fitting charity. 

I also had the Royal Marines Charity as my second Charity and much was raised for these too.

If I was going to do another event, would I chose Siriraj as my Charity? Probably not.

I'll probably conduct the next event without raising any money for charity.

The level of keyboard warriorism I've been subjected to regarding being a scammer is unbelievable. This site is the lesser of the lot!

To attempt something of this magnitude knowing that I'm going to get tonnes of shit of the Packard Mafia would do my mental game no good whatsoever.

If I would, I would select, as you say, an orphanage or a more remote hospital.

Thanks,

NardRunner.

On 19/10/2017 at 11:21 PM, webfact said:

....but he will make it to Hua Hin even if he has to walk

Thumbs up for the effort, but if  a taxi is used however,  make sure the meter in turned on !!

A fast recovery to the runner.

Edited by observer90210

15 hours ago, NardRunner said:

@tropo Thank you for that post. 

In all honesty, it was the sprained ankle that snowballed and ruined my efforts. Had the ankle not have flared up, I sincerely believe that I would have finished this event with no major problems. I know we can "if" as many times as we like and it doesn't change a thing. 

You're absolutely right to say I was nuts running on a sprained ankle though! Especially with over 600k left to run. I just didn't want to give up.

Have a look at 'JOGLE' run. This is a run conducted in the U.K. for a longer distance per day and over a longer period of time. These runners amount up to and sometimes over 50 miles per day but they have absolutely amazing support and recovery teams.

Anyway, you're right again regarding taking good care of myself. Once I finish the remaining 570k, I'm hanging my ultra-running shoes up and going back into, let's say sports with less impact.

tropo, thank you for your reply and I look forward to maybe reading another post from you once my 570k gets underway?

Take care,

NardRunner.

As I said in an earlier post Chris, the negative posters exist solely on knocking people down. They cannot do these things themselves so thet whine, whinge, moan, complain etc to justify their pitiful lives.

If they can't take a joke, **** 'em.

On 11/11/2017 at 9:19 AM, billd766 said:

As I said in an earlier post Chris, the negative posters exist solely on knocking people down. They cannot do these things themselves so thet whine, whinge, moan, complain etc to justify their pitiful lives.

If they can't take a joke, **** 'em.

Sometimes a negative post is based on a positive premise. In my case it's something like: look after your body - you only have one and it has to last a lifetime. 

I came to this conclusion after damaging my body many times throughout my life, mostly as a result of sports injuries due to overdoing it.

I freely admit that I am not capable of a 900km run and never have been. Long distance running has never been my thing. One thing I have learned the hard way - if you have an injury - STOP IMMEDIATELY! It will only get worse if you continue. A small injury can become a lifelong chronic disability if pushed too far... especially in the legs, which aren't easy to rest because you always need them.

16 hours ago, tropo said:

Sometimes a negative post is based on a positive premise. In my case it's something like: look after your body - you only have one and it has to last a lifetime. 

I came to this conclusion after damaging my body many times throughout my life, mostly as a result of sports injuries due to overdoing it.

I freely admit that I am not capable of a 900km run and never have been. Long distance running has never been my thing. One thing I have learned the hard way - if you have an injury - STOP IMMEDIATELY! It will only get worse if you continue. A small injury can become a lifelong chronic disability if pushed too far... especially in the legs, which aren't easy to rest because you always need them.

I am not aiming at you because your posts make good common sense, but there are many posters on TVF whose only aim in life is to be negative to almost anything.

As for me, I have 2 shot to sh1t kneecaps and a knackered back though I can still hack down the scrub grass around the place for an hour or so in the cool of the morning and I can sometimes manage a 1 km walk but that is it.

On 10/20/2017 at 8:14 AM, coconuthead said:

"But earlier this week Chris collapsed from dehydration and swollen joints and had to be admitted to Kamphaeng Phet hospital where doctors have kept him on a drip and given him medication for several days.

His wife reported on the "Cathy Mee" Facebook page that Chris was feeling much better and was awaiting permission from doctors to leave his bed. There are hopes that he could continue on his journey this morning if given the go-ahead following blood test results."

someone needs to tell Chris to check himself out........the doctors won't release him until they are completely $atisfied.

As long as he's paid his full bill at the hospital he can walk out whenever he wants.

Hey Nardrunner,

Thanks for the invite, but I'm not in Thailand at the mo', and not sure when I'll be back. Nice gesture, though. I'm sure you're a cool guy to have a chat with, as long as you're not in a bad mood from Internet haters. ;)

On 10.11.2017 at 6:43 PM, NardRunner said:

If I was going to do another event, would I chose Siriraj as my Charity? Probably not.

I'll probably conduct the next event without raising any money for charity.

The level of keyboard warriorism I've been subjected to regarding being a scammer is unbelievable. This site is the lesser of the lot!

To attempt something of this magnitude knowing that I'm going to get tonnes of shit of the Packard Mafia would do my mental game no good whatsoever.

If I would, I would select, as you say, an orphanage or a more remote hospital.

While I like most of what you're saying other places here, I must admit I'm kind of baffled by this (focusing on the negatives... I know :saai:).

Here's a man who's willing to run 900 kilometers and doesn't stop until he's pissing blood, but some gripes on the Internet get him down. You're obviously game for the physical challenge, but why stop there and not just crush the mental challenge too?

Let's break this down:

- First there are the purely negative people. They're just sad. What they say stems from their own inner pain and bad experiences. No reason to feel bad about sad people being sad, we should feel sorry for them instead.

- Then there are the misunderstandings. The article left a lot to interpretation, and some interpreted it wrong. Well, no reason to feel bad about someone being wrong on the Internet, is there? That makes no sense.

- But then there's the difficult part, which I think is bothering you. Some might actually have a point. And you're a man with high standards, so someone pointing out that you might have done something better – that gets to you.

There's been a lot of negativity. I might have been negative, so let me try to turn this around with a constructive suggestion.

For you or anyone else considering a charity event, simply get a page on the recipient website that says you're officially working for them and post the link once in a while and to any doubters. If it's a reputable place with good routines and accounting so that they're not the ones pocketing the cash, even better. Then no reasonable person can doubt you're working for them.

You can always improve things, but at a certain point you just need to say hey, I tried, I did pretty good, I did what could be expected of me, and if you think you can do better, either suggest an improvement or do it yourself. Problem solved, really.

Edited by robusto

Thai media must really feel a high need of 'recognition', local and abroad, to blow up a story (is it?) like this one, ...about some 'alien' playing Thai tunes. Who cares the guy has been serving his country, ...and fallen 'in love' with another one (at least one lady of)? ...And going on with that 'leitmotiv' the NCPO has been ramming down Thai throats for one whole year! Was he all clad in black, or not? As, when not, it could have been the reason for his problems, in the Thais' rich imagination... Pfff, a 'Royal Marine' not even knowing he has to drink enough 'in action' not to become a lethal burdon for his mates, what a hero! When will Thais be left alone with their personal feelings and grief about the, great, King, Bhumibol indeed was? The whole, created, media 'hype' disgusts me! 

@bangrak

Listen mate, I'm not too sure if you've just read the article and decided to comment or whether you have read the comments thread?

I definitely have to agree with you when you say that 'media hype' disgusts you. Please bare in mind, I did not request or seek any media attention. That photo was taken by a friend and the story has been pieced together from various sources, not all of them true! I, at no time mentioned my military service to any media outlet but my sponsors. Make of this what you will!

Anyway, please don't assume that you know me, what I'm capable of, why I stopped etc! You know absolutely nothing about this callsign but if you have the time, I'm genuinely willing to sit down with you over a coffee so you can find out a little more about the real me. I'll even drive to your location to make things a bit easier for you.

Here we go again with "He didn't drink enough" statements! For your information mate, I stopped due to a problem with my kidneys which was a direct result of severe muscle breakdown. Obviously dehydration would have been an underlying cause as staying hydrated was indeed difficult but I was managing it very well and it posed no major dramas for me during the 330k in 4.5 days.

There was really no need for the "one lady of" comment. I'm assuming now that you are stereotyping me? 

Listen, do me a favour, drop me an email at [email protected] so we can arrange a meet, coffee and discuss what issues you may have with my attempts to do something good and raise a bit of money for charity. Then, after we've gotten to know each other a bit better, you can join me for one of my training sessions. I'll even let you sit in a car as I wouldn't want 60+ K run to distract your effort into seeing how I manage my hydration so you can comment next time with having conducted some credible research. 

...............and you say the media disgusts you? You my friend, ARE a journalist with a post like that!

20 hours ago, NardRunner said:

@bangrak

Listen mate, I'm not too sure if you've just read the article and decided to comment or whether you have read the comments thread?

I definitely have to agree with you when you say that 'media hype' disgusts you. Please bare in mind, I did not request or seek any media attention. That photo was taken by a friend and the story has been pieced together from various sources, not all of them true! I, at no time mentioned my military service to any media outlet but my sponsors. Make of this what you will!

Anyway, please don't assume that you know me, what I'm capable of, why I stopped etc! You know absolutely nothing about this callsign but if you have the time, I'm genuinely willing to sit down with you over a coffee so you can find out a little more about the real me. I'll even drive to your location to make things a bit easier for you.

Here we go again with "He didn't drink enough" statements! For your information mate, I stopped due to a problem with my kidneys which was a direct result of severe muscle breakdown. Obviously dehydration would have been an underlying cause as staying hydrated was indeed difficult but I was managing it very well and it posed no major dramas for me during the 330k in 4.5 days.

There was really no need for the "one lady of" comment. I'm assuming now that you are stereotyping me? 

Listen, do me a favour, drop me an email at [email protected] so we can arrange a meet, coffee and discuss what issues you may have with my attempts to do something good and raise a bit of money for charity. Then, after we've gotten to know each other a bit better, you can join me for one of my training sessions. I'll even let you sit in a car as I wouldn't want 60+ K run to distract your effort into seeing how I manage my hydration so you can comment next time with having conducted some credible research. 

...............and you say the media disgusts you? You my friend, ARE a journalist with a post like that!

I don't 'assume' anything, be reassured about that, seen too much for that.

When you are the good, clean, straight guy, you say, what I have no reason to doubt about, could you possibly, eventually, ask yourself whether, maybe, some not-too-smart 'friends' of yours, addicted to modern media, with no bad intention, probably, have put you into a position wherein 'other persons' have used, yes then abused, you, 'recuperating' your (sad, painfull) experience (...and your past with the Royal Marines as a topping), to bring you forward as a cog in a big propaganda machine they serve...? The e-mail address you gave me to correspond with you, is, well, 'disturbing', for me, in itself, the smell of it (or is it a creation from one of your 'friends'...? No doubt, at all, in my mind His late Majesty Bhumibol was a GREAT King. But I consider each individual should have (had) the exclusive right to decide about its personal way to commemorate Him, for himself. Quod non. IMHO, I'm not even so sure His late Majesty, as close as He was to the 'small people' in His Kingdom, would have really appreciated the official, well organised, and 'uniformed', hype following His passing... As great a King He was, what touched me deeply, as a non-Thai individual, was His ...MODESTY! ...Which is so desperately absent in all those ... clad in brass, covered with medals, military and official, hypocrites, you, interpret it as you want, ...became a willing victim of.

I hope you feel a lot better already, and will soon be able to make long runs again, for bona fide humanitarian organisations, maybe, better?

Edited by bangrak

@bangrak

You most definitely have 'assumed' mate! When you suppose something to be the truth without proof, this is called an 'assumption'. 

What do you mean when you say that you never assume as "you've seen too much" lol. That little statement nearly made me wet myself!

Why is the provided email 'disturbing'?

It was the event email address arranged to manage all emails relating to this event. Our current correspondence relates to this event, therefore I provided my event email! It's pretty logical wouldn't you say? Why would I give somebody I don't know, my email address? Would you?

I've PM'd you on here anyway so the email stuff is old news!

As for the what I 'assume' you are calling a false curtain of respect and grief for His Majesty, well that is your opinion and you are entitled to this but I would be very careful saying that modesty was absent in all the brass clad, medal wearing military and official hypocrites! When I attended the Queen Mothers state funeral as a serving soldier, the order of the day (and this is usually the case with state funerals around the world) was brass and medals etc. Did we discard our modesty to turn up in full dress to honour one of our Royal Family? I don't see how a few million people could be wrong? That's a difficult one to answer to be honest! Let me pass it on to some of my friends in the Thai military who attended their King's funeral in full dress. I'll give them your profile details so they can answer you personally, I hope you don't mind?

I do feel a lot better and thank you for asking. I will resume running when I can but I won't be raising any money for charity as clearly stated in one of my last posts, which you clearly have not bothered to read. If you had, I wouldn't be responding and having to explain myself again and again!

The event was in His Majesty's memory.

We raised money for one of His Majesty's healthcare projects that was unfinished at the time of his passing

This was the sole purpose of the event but please, enough typing! Let's meet?