The cruel UK rule which forced a mum to return to Thailand without her daughter

webfact

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the law was brought in to make a good headline ,the amount of people it stops is

few but the heartache it causes is great.

it is a ill thought out law it does not take into consideration if you own or rent a house if you stay in a expensive part of the country or not.

if his wife does not apply for British citizenship she will not be entitled to any money from the government, so there will be no cost to the tax payer.

all the man wants is his family to be together and give his daughter a better education than she would have in Thailand.to all the people who earn or did earn high wages good for you not everyone can do that.

the posters who complain about his choices, by living in Thailand maybe he felt that was the best choice for his family at that time and did not think about going back to the uk in the future.

now he has the choice of giving his daughter a better education and a chance of a better future and not being with his with.

for those who criticize him and do not have a bit of sympathy for his family you must have a really big heart  and plenty of I am all right jack 

My wife is Thai and we have a daughter. I fully accept and understand the conditions imposed by the UK government. If you cannot finance your wife (and or child) in the UK, then you cannot bring her - end of story. But that said the rules ARE a little silly 18,600 is a daft amount when you consider that applied to both people who a house and who rent one. Personally I think if you own a house the amount should be severely dropped. In which case 15,000 would be enough if he owned a house.

I will at some point fund my own wife and daughter move by selling my house and buying a cheaper model in another part of the country. Some cannot do that, I know.

Point is it is all very well having sob stories, but if you put yourself in the position of not being able to afford to bring your wife to the UK then that is your fault and your lifestyle choices. I am sure  if she loves you she will wait for you whilst you get a job that pays more and apply again.

I cannot cry as you want everything NOW NOW NOW and are not willing to try. 

1 hour ago, meatboy said:

9yrs.ago my wife earned double that in the uk.

What the Hell has that got to do with his application,or do you think only those on a high income should be allowed in. Many people in the north of England would not be able to qualify at that amount.

2 hours ago, Briggsy said:

A particularly one-sided story. Had Mr I'anson put in a modicum of planning this situation would not have arisen. There is no automatic right of residence for foreign spouses of UK citizens.

Mr I'anson resided in Thailand for 8 years during his highest earning years. I note any reference to whatever savings and income he lived on during this period has been suspiciously omitted from the one-sided story.

Zero planning and resorting to whingeing to the local press about injustice when no such right exists suggests Mr I'anson has yet to admit his own failings.

I suggest he stop crying about injustice and formulate a clear plan to rectify the situation. However, in today's Britain, complaining and painting an inaccurate picture often works better than following the rules. Perhaps he knows this.

There is no automatic right of residence for foreign spouses of UK citizens. "Correct"Yet for some reason this rule does not apply to foreign spouses of E.U countries.

Having said that, even though the rules are plainly unjust, he has tried to circumvent them,forgetting that the  Bureaucrats must follow the rules and not their hearts.

29 minutes ago, seeyoujimmy said:

do you ever look at most of the people in Thailand with very little money they are not all unhappy not everyone can be rich

that is not quite right: even with only 300 Baht/daily you will get all what you need. Life here is cheap and by far cheaper than in UK with 1500 Pounds/month.

2 hours ago, Briggsy said:

A particularly one-sided story. Had Mr I'anson put in a modicum of planning this situation would not have arisen. There is no automatic right of residence for foreign spouses of UK citizens.

Mr I'anson resided in Thailand for 8 years during his highest earning years. I note any reference to whatever savings and income he lived on during this period has been suspiciously omitted from the one-sided story.

Zero planning and resorting to whingeing to the local press about injustice when no such right exists suggests Mr I'anson has yet to admit his own failings.

I suggest he stop crying about injustice and formulate a clear plan to rectify the situation. However, in today's Britain, complaining and painting an inaccurate picture often works better than following the rules. Perhaps he knows this.

Like how the excellent, unbiased, easily accessible, transparent and quick-thinking UK Immigration system worked for this guy?

Seems like all Mr I'anson needs to do is sign-up, learn to fly, do some tours of duty, get called 'Top Gun' by his mates and handily labeled a 'hero' by a clueless media. Then go crying to the same, clueless media and all his problems will simply disappear.

I had to like the images of the poor wife sleeping on friends sofas, homeless in her homeland while Top Gun sits all alone on the other side of the pond, simply unable to unpack his stuff.

Hold on while I go and make a fresh pot of empathy. This one's old.

4 minutes ago, nontabury said:

Follow sawadee1947 posts on TV over the last couple of years.

Without wishing to derail the topic the IRA entered into the 'Good Friday Agreement' in 1998 and decommissioned it's armoury.

Now... back on topic?  is it fair that a guy goes to another country, has a kid, then expects his homeland to provide?  for kid and babies mother?  when on low, low income?  methinks not

What a winger........ When you fall foul of immigration regulations go to social media for sympathy . When you marry and take your wife to live in the UK if you can't support her on your income don't do it . No sympathy from expats who jump though every hoop and navigate legally all the financial  hurdles  immigration strictly enforce to allow them to stay  in Thailand. 

15 minutes ago, jippytum said:

What a winger........ When you fall foul of immigration regulations go to social media for sympathy . When you marry and take your wife to live in the UK if you can't support her on your income don't do it . No sympathy from expats who jump though every hoop and navigate legally all the financial  hurdles  immigration strictly enforce to allow them to stay  in Thailand. 

Social media is good for that. See my earlier post about the British Navy flyer 'hero' who went to the media to get his American wife's visa expedited. It worked!

The UK Immigration picked an arbitrary fiscal threshold for calculating if anyone can support a foreign spouse and/or family. They do not want to do any proper due-diligence on other people's relationships; that's just too difficult and messy. Having evidence of a strong, sustaining and stable family through length of marriage and care of any dependents is arbitrarily swept aside by a single 'show me the money' criteria.

A bit like the dependency 'marriage' visa or retiring in Thailand actually...

3 hours ago, Briggsy said:

dont know much about british law.. but yeah i was thinking how did it actually get to this point? i imagine the family must have made quite a bit of mis steps. I am also wondering why doesnt the daughter just go back with the mom until the issue is resolved?

1 hour ago, Orton Rd said:

That would just lead to loads more ex pats going back, is that what they want?

This is what DWP are looking at. They are examining data from Aus and NZ to look at how it impacts on the number of returnees. Obviously they are looking to save money overall. 

18 minutes ago, HauptmannUK said:

This is what DWP are looking at. They are examining data from Aus and NZ to look at how it impacts on the number of returnees. Obviously they are looking to save money overall. 

Do kiwis and those awful Australians have thier pensions stopped after one year?

4 hours ago, LannaGuy said:

Fair enough... he doesn't earn enough to provide and will claim State Benefits. He should have thought of that before having kids.

edit: BTW  before any bleeding hearts start.. 18,600 is a PITTANCE in the UK and when I left 10 years ago I was on 5 times that

It may be a pittance to you but there are many who do not earn that much especially pensioners. And you seem a typical smug man who looks down on lower income earners.

UK nationals are getting treated like 2nd class citizens in England. If he was a EU immigrant living in the UK he could bring his whole family over without any financial limits. Being a UK citizen I can't bring my Thai wife to live unless I earn enough, the whole thing stinks and people wonder why we voted for Brexit

UK nationals are getting treated like 2nd class citizens in England. If he was a EU immigrant living in the UK he could bring his whole family over without any financial limits. Being a UK citizen I can't bring my Thai wife to live unless I earn enough, the whole thing stinks and people wonder why we voted for Brexit

Blame the UK governments not Brexit! The poisonous attitude towards immigrants is exactly what led to these types of restrictions.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

52 minutes ago, HauptmannUK said:

How ridiculous...

Returning expats at pensionable age to the UK, will create even more financial pressure on the NHS, as its already on its knees..

Do they not understand, elderly people require more access to the NHS??

Where will they live? 

Social Care?

If this was implemented, may as well hand the keys to Downing St to Corbyn...

Edited by weaver93

2 hours ago, HauptmannUK said:

Whilst in this case the husband is guilty of poor planning I think TVF members from the UK need to be aware that there is growing hostility in the UK toward returning expats. Probably partly fuelled by fears that, post Brexit, there could be sizeable numbers of older expats returning to the UK from Europe.

I am a member of the Conservative Party and at a recent constituency meeting that I attended we had a government minister as a guest speaker. The topic was immigration and Brexit. There were a lot of comments about returning expats and some discussion about stopping pensions to expats after one year overseas. We were told that NZ and Aus do something similar and its being looked at by DWP.

Certainly there are big shifts in public opinion going on right now.

I expect my UK state pension to be paid, regardless of where I choose to live. I don't kid myself that expats living in Thailand hold much sway with any UK Government, but those hundreds of thousands in Europe surely do. I don't see returning expats as being a major issue unless state pension payments are halted for those abroad.

I am no way a burden to the UK by living outside the UK. It could be a different matter if I had to return.

5 hours ago, LannaGuy said:

Fair enough... he doesn't earn enough to provide and will claim State Benefits. He should have thought of that before having kids.

edit: BTW  before any bleeding hearts start.. 18,600 is a PITTANCE in the UK and when I left 10 years ago I was on 5 times that

Just to point out, as a single parent he is entitles to WAY more benefits than as a family man living with his  wife.

Doesn't even have to work, as that would now have child care implications.

Not that there are any jobs available for a 60+ white male in the UK these days.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

I could be wrong,  but I think she had already broke the terms

of her visit visa !!!!!!!!!!!!!  buy working.

This is what was at the bottom of the article.

"Maybe instead of making life a living hell for my family, why not give us a chance? I had a job, my wife could have her old job back and we could be a happy family. But this is not the case. We are split up and life is a living hell," he said.

Edited by stanleycoin

5 hours ago, LannaGuy said:

Something fishy about this story, e.g. he said, "he had a job, my wife could have her old job back and we could be a happy family".

What old job would he be referring too, I thought people on tourist visa's couldn't work.

Very poor planning on his part, although I am not British, I made sure my wife has an Aussie passport, as do my daughter's and if we had to return to Australia, with me or without, they wouldn't have to go through this.

I feel sorry for the young girl and his wife, best he sort it, i.e. get a job that pays well, because his excuse of his job not working out hours wise is crap in my opinion, I raised my daughter on shared care, week on, week off and managed to drop and pick her up from school, take her shopping, swimming, Taekwondo lessons, cook for her and repeat this for years, until I remarried and the new wife took over, she was 8 then, the daughter that is 555. 

Edited by 4MyEgo