Thai Language, Pronunciation, Manners, Customs, Etc.

thehawk

I originally joined TV to get some immigration tips - fantastic help on here. Helped me alot. Seems like most advice/responses were given with helping people out in mind.

Now I mostly browse through news clippings and other Thai related topics. I'm still relatively new to this forum, but it looks like alot of people complain a great deal about all aspects of Thailand, and make comments (often sarcasitc) about how the country should operate, as if they actually know. I think might be guilty of doing the same thing in a few of my posts/replies. But, I just had a thought:

If you aren't Thai and you're visiting/living in Thailand, then adapt. You're in a foreign country.

Am I wrong? PLEASE comment and tell me why all the negative/sarcastic comments (without referring to the american declaration of independence/bill of rights).

1. Put the guidebook down.

The sarcasm and jokes are ways to deal with the oddities of life of which Thailand has no shortage. Spend some time here (beyond a vacation) and you will understand. Most of us love Thailand but sometimes the things we see just boggle our minds. Thais see their share of oddities in our countries too.

I think if you try to take Thailand too seriously you could go insane. Nobody knows that better than Thais themselves whom you will notice have the ability to laugh at just about anything.

People here are adjusting to living in a strange environment, and the forum is a place for them to vent in ways that's not possible to do in a country where the culture and language is not their own.

Edited by cdnvic

Thais see their share of oddities in our countries too.

And they do that in their own country as well, especially now. And they do complain as much as we do, and often about similar things.

Yes, good idea, he should put the guidebook down. Trying to be more Thai than the Thais is not a good idea.

1. Put the guidebook down.

The sarcasm and jokes are ways to deal with the oddities of life of which Thailand has no shortage. Spend some time here (beyond a vacation) and you will understand. Most of us love Thailand but sometimes the things we see just boggle our minds. Thais see their share of oddities in our countries too.

I think if you try to take Thailand too seriously you could go insane. Nobody knows that better than Thais themselves whom you will notice have the ability to laugh at just about anything.

People here are adjusting to living in a strange environment, and the forum is a place for them to vent in ways that's not possible to do in a country where the culture and language is not their own.

Thanks. Good comment (except the guidebook part). I have to qualify myself though: lived there for a year (not too long, but it's something), married to a Thai lady for 5 years (currently live in Canada). So we both know what it's like to a certain extent. I'm not trying to criticize other posters too heavily for their comments. Just wanted to get some feedback, and you provided some. Thanks again.

Thais see their share of oddities in our countries too.

And they do that in their own country as well, especially now. And they do complain as much as we do, and often about similar things.

Yes, good idea, he should put the guidebook down. Trying to be more Thai than the Thais is not a good idea.

Again with the guidebook.... hmmm.

I don't think I was trying to say people should attempt to become Thai, but rather, just adapt to their surroundings. I guess that's easy for me to say since I haven't had to try to follow my own advice for a very long time. 2/2 say I'm wrong. Any other takers?

A poster named Gary A added this in an unrelated topic:

MANY years ago I was given some great advice. I didn't appreciate it at the time because I was still young and determined to set the world on fire. As the years passed by, I often thought about that advice. It was; "Don't concern yourself with things you have no control over".

This is basically what I was getting at when I posted. But, it's a pretty lame topic. No need for further comment.