Som Nam Na! Mum thought she was being kind to son, 11, giving him her phone - then he empties her account

rooster59

Som Nam Na! Mum thought she was being kind to son, 11, giving him her phone - then he empties her account

aHR0cHM6Ly9zLmlzYW5vb2suY29tL25zLzAvdWQvNzg4LzM5NDE0MTAvbmV3czEyLmpwZw==.jpg

Image: Sanook

A Thai mother went online to warn other parents after her gaming mad son racked up a bill of 20,000 baht.

Her 11 year old was buying items at 35 to 99 baht a time playing the online battle arena game RoV.

In five days he had cleaned her out - she had two baht left in her account, reported Sanook.

Mum "Faa" went on the Mem Pho Dam page to warn other parents about her experience saying she would have to take the hit for giving her phone to her son without checking up on what he was doing.

Players are supposed to be 18 plus to play the game.

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-10-21

The game company should at least refund part of the purchases deducting some admin charges for the refund. Its an 11 year old who does not understand even he if knows how to make in app purchases and bank credit card purchases for games.

Lesson learnt for the mum as well. And also do not lend out your handphones to anyone on the streets even if you just want to help someone if they appear to be in distress. Make the call for em, dont just hand your phone freely over.

13 minutes ago, Moonmoon said:

The game company should at least refund part of the purchases deducting some admin charges for the refund. Its an 11 year old who does not understand even he if knows how to make in app purchases and bank credit card purchases for games.

Lesson learnt for the mum as well. And also do not lend out your handphones to anyone on the streets even if you just want to help someone if they appear to be in distress. Make the call for em, dont just hand your phone freely over.

agree ....   the game should refund the mother the amount as she was unaware of the fraud taking place and it was happening without her consent, also the bank should take responsibility if it was card or withdrawal related.

And the kid needs a good hiding with a cane for what he did.

No excuses ....  at 11 ...  a kid knows right from wrong  ...

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

agree ....   the game should refund the mother the amount as she was unaware of the fraud taking place and it was happening without her consent, also the bank should take responsibility if it was card or withdrawal related.

So, here is a foreginer that still believes in hitting with a cane. Dear sir, you are terrebly after. Today there are more humane and effective methods as for example consuling and other things.

1 minute ago, Get Real said:

So, here is a foreginer that still believes in hitting with a cane. Dear sir, you are terrebly after. Today there are more humane and effective methods as for example consuling and other things.

so you suggest counselling  ...    

Same think happened to my Wife. She let her 10 year old nephew play with her IPad and he downloaded a game and racked up 14k in in game purchases. The wife contacted Apple filled out a form and disputed the charges as her credit card was debited tbrough her Apple ID and they reversed them. Apple didn’t argue at all they just gave the money back immediately. I couldn’t believe she got the money back but then again Apple had probably seen this a milllion times and they realize it’s their customers that they need to protect not the game operators.

3 hours ago, Moonmoon said:

Why ?

How could they know it was an 11 year old buying as the account used was of the mom. Would have been different if it was under his own account.

3 hours ago, steven100 said:

Whereas someone advocating caning a child does not. 

Maybe "Mum" will understand that for a fraction of the money she could have gotten some board games (i.e. Toys 'r us) and spent some quality time to play with her son. 

I am absolutely appalled over the mental take-over of Thais by the mobile phones, iPads and all the rest of those electronic gizmos. Convenient, handy, fantastic - in the right hands; costly, damaging in the wrong hands. 

The best I saw sofar is a family, whose mother had a list of chores written on a note which hung at the fridge door with a magnet saying "for today's password you need to do X, Y and Z". Once achieved (home work, clean up your room etc.) the password was given out with a kitchen alarm clock wound for 30 minutes; after which the WiFi was switched off - see you again for tomorrows chores. 

14 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

Maybe "Mum" will understand that for a fraction of the money she could have gotten some board games (i.e. Toys 'r us) and spent some quality time to play with her son. 

I am absolutely appalled over the mental take-over of Thais by the mobile phones, iPads and all the rest of those electronic gizmos. Convenient, handy, fantastic - in the right hands; costly, damaging in the wrong hands. 

The best I saw sofar is a family, whose mother had a list of chores written on a note which hung at the fridge door with a magnet saying "for today's password you need to do X, Y and Z". Once achieved (home work, clean up your room etc.) the password was given out with a kitchen alarm clock wound for 30 minutes; after which the WiFi was switched off - see you again for tomorrows chores. 

It is a worldwide issue - Thailand does not even rate in the top 20 per below link:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/photo-essays/2011-02-14/the-20-countries-with-the-highest-per-capita-cell-phone-use

26 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

It is a worldwide issue - Thailand does not even rate in the top 20 per below link:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/photo-essays/2011-02-14/the-20-countries-with-the-highest-per-capita-cell-phone-use

I'm pretty sure that article was written in 2009. A lot has changed in the cell phone world since then.

3 hours ago, Get Real said:

But surely a cane is cheaper, faster and more memorable?

13 minutes ago, MickGC said:

I'm pretty sure that article was written in 2009. A lot has changed in the cell phone world since then.

Old but not that old - sorry - Thailand is 31st in world per April 2017 Wiki:  The point is addition is a real concern everywhere - you find the same screen staring outside of Thailand.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_smartphone_penetration

7 hours ago, Moonmoon said:

I presume that she's not Scottish, so she should give him a damn good hiding!

5 hours ago, Get Real said:

My Lady's kid did the same thing, for about the same amount, she made the kid go out and cut the switch himself and bring it to her.....he just turned nine.....after the lesson about phone internet use, and a total terrorizing 20 minute session without hitting the kid, methinks he now knows she means business.  No more on-line games on the phone for him, the mere mention brings a look horror in his eyes.  I suppose she made her point without laying a hand on him. :clap2:

7 hours ago, steven100 said:

Why?

Did the kid steal her phone?

Why did she give the kid her password for her app purchases?

No excuse for an 11 year old?

Needs a good caning?!?!

Are you for real?

You mention fraud, usually that involves a guilty party, publishable, so you're suggesting she has her son locked up?

Its very simple, you don't give access to any of your online accounts or otherwise to a third party without acknowledging the risk you take. 

Too bad, so sad. Lesson learnt for the mentally challenged mom.

The app should be accountable and have some form of fraud prevention. 5 days 20k is excessive.

The in app purchases is linked to her accounting info. She likely did not protect the transaction authorisation. 11 year old kid simply pressing whatever button to get more game time. Accidents do happen and she has been brave and considerate enough to admit her error in the matter. Breath of fresh air.

8 hours ago, steven100 said:

Well done. Hitting children works wonders for the busy/lazy parent. Why wouldn’t you hit the weakest, most precious and innocent people on the planet? Heaven forbid you take the time to sit down with them and appeal to their better nature. As for hitting adults, that’s simply wrong. People should be criminally charged for that. 

6 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

how did the kid access the bank account?

Based on the photo in the OP, it looks like in-app purchases are linked to a debit card which in turn is linked to a bank account. 

14 hours ago, steven100 said:

so you suggest counselling  ...    

Dont know about the cane, but if its my son, i would explain to him n then cut his allowance, every penny till he pays back what he used so he knows the importance of money.

18 hours ago, Moonmoon said:

do not lend out your handphones to anyone on the streets even if you just want to help someone if they appear to be in distress. Make the call for em, dont just hand your phone freely over.

Good suggestion!!  My niece got a new iphone a few years ago. She only had it one day and was at the mall some young guy came up asked her what time it was she didn't know how to use the phone yet he told her he knew how to check the time when she handed him the phone he ran off with it.  The police did catch him later that day, her phone had already been sold and the cash was gone. 

9 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Well done. Hitting children works wonders for the busy/lazy parent. Why wouldn’t you hit the weakest, most precious and innocent people on the planet? Heaven forbid you take the time to sit down with them and appeal to their better nature. As for hitting adults, that’s simply wrong. People should be criminally charged for that. 

Agreed - apart from the "better nature" part. I don't think 11-16 yr olds have one :whistling:

Times have changed. Disciplining young children has become incredibly easy in the 21st century. Just take away their internet privileges for 5 - 60 minutes (in extreme cases 24 - 48 hours) will hurt them far more than a beating.

(I wish we'd had internet when I was a kid. My Dad never used a stick but he had hands like coal shovels - bless him).

18 hours ago, Moonmoon said:

I don't let my kids use my phone... my sister in law gave my 2yo daughter her phone to use.   My daughter threw the phone when the Internet slowed down and broke the screen   she wanted me to pay to fix it... I told her that's why I don't let a 2yo use the phone and said sorry your mistake.