White House pays tribute to late King, sends delegation

rooster59

White House pays tribute to late King, sends delegation

By The Nation

e18d2b7ea6f86a84d253d031cf5a2bef.jpeg

File photo: US Defence Secretary James Mattis (AFP Photo)

President Donald Trump will send a delegation to attend the Royal Cremation Ceremony of His Majesty the late King Bhumibol Adulyadej on October 26, the White House said on Saturday.

The White House Press Secretary said Secretary of Defence James Mattis would lead the delegation as the President’s Special Envoy, joined by United States Ambassador to the Kingdom of Thailand, Glyn Davies.

President Trump extends his profound condolences on behalf of the American people for the passing of the late King, the statement said.

“He [HM the late King] was a champion of the Thai people and the United States-Thailand alliance. His innovative work, diplomacy, and 70 years of selfless service will ensure that his legacy will live on for many generations to come,” the statement said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/kingdomgrieves/30329825

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-10-22

Along with at least another 31 dignitaries from foreign countries.

Why is only the USA so newsworthy.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30329791

Indeed. And only sending Mattis is not exactly the height of respect! Next we'll learn the UK isn't sending the Queen, or Charles or William, but someone like Andrew! Oh.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Surely the nation with the longest reigning monarch might have managed to dig at least one of the minor royals out for this sad occasion? Nobody expects QE2 to make the journey but William, Harry, someone?  Well there's still a few days.

23 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

Surely the nation with the longest reigning monarch might have managed to dig at least one of the minor royals out for this sad occasion? Nobody expects QE2 to make the journey but William, Harry, someone?  Well there's still a few days.

I think Andrew counts as a "minor Royal"!

2 hours ago, davehowden said:

Along with at least another 31 dignitaries from foreign countries.

Why is only the USA so newsworthy.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30329791

Maybe the "US Secretary of Defense" is considered more important than say say the "Foreign Minister and Minister of Development Assignments" from Sri Lanka, or the vice president of Vietnam. To be honest, not many other influential world leaders, if any, are coming. Oh no, I see the ex president of Switzerland will attend :saai:

2 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

Look at Germany who sends Mr. Wulff.

He is a former president (a representation role only) who was involved in misc. scandals and hardly escaped a conviction for taking benefits from a billionaire entrepreneur.

Stepped back after two years.

The decision to send him has been highly criticized.

7 hours ago, steven100 said:

A good way of offering condolences by the US.

He was an extremely well respected and loved man.

Agree that American born Rama IX was indeed a worthy human being in a true Buddhist sense. I would have hoped due to HisMajesty's very special connection to the USA, that if the President himself could not come then the Vice President or certainly the Secretary of State would have represented my country.

9 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:

Agree that American born Rama IX was indeed a worthy human being in a true Buddhist sense. I would have hoped due to HisMajesty's very special connection to the USA, that if the President himself could not come then the Vice President or certainly the Secretary of State would have represented my country.

Would it would be appropriate for an elected President of a republic to pay such respect to an unelected monarch?  I guess we'll find out for sure, when Queen Elizabeth dies.

I think the choice is a bit odd.

Maybe understandable that the president isn't coming, but surprised that the VICE president isn't, who is of course the very traditional stand in for the president at international funerals. 

Going into cabinet members, it seems to me the secretary of STATE would have been a much better choice. Department of State is about international diplomacy.

I've really never heard of a secretary of DEFENSE being sent to a such an important historic funeral of a long standing ally.

Edited by Jingthing

3 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Long standing since the 1950's.

Really? Can you provide a link?

I really think for very, very important international funerals the U.S. almost always sends either the president or more commonly the VICE president. 

I'm not saying you're wrong but I just have never heard of that before.

Edited by Jingthing

Just now, Father Fintan Stack said:

A link to Seni Pramoj refusing to deliver a Declaration of War o the US from Thailand's dictator during WWII?

Bizarre response. It sounds like we're talking about totally different things. Perhaps reread my post and reply in  a coherent manner. Otherwise, never mind. 

I think it's for the best that trump himself is not coming. As he is now the most famous person in the world, and perhaps the history of the planet actually (considering modern media) it would have been an unwelcome distraction to have him here.

But I still don't understand not sending the VICE president.

13 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:

Yes, absolutely. Why would you think Queen Elizabeth would be treated any differently than His Majesty?

Well her Uncle did marry an American, after been told he couldn't reign as King if he did. A twice divorced woman too, perhaps our royals think they owe us.

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

I think it's for the best that trump himself is not coming. As he is now the most famous person in the world, and perhaps the history of the planet actually (considering modern media) it would have been an unwelcome distraction to have him here.

But I still don't understand not sending the VICE president.

Most famous? Give me a break. Maybe the most talked about ridiculed, fool.

1 minute ago, SpicyMeatball said:

Most famous? Give me a break. Maybe the most talked about ridiculed, fool.

We'll have to agree to disagree. Mention trump anywhere in the world and the recognition levels will be almost universal. It's not about admiring him at all. Evil people are often massively famous. 

Edited by Jingthing

In any case, it's of course a good thing that the government of the USA representing all of the people of the USA (regardless of who is in power now which isn't the topic here) is sending a delegation to pay tribute to the late King of Thailand. 

I would have hoped for a more appropriate choice of who is in the delegation though. 

Edited by Jingthing

Yes, absolutely. Why would you think Queen Elizabeth would be treated any differently than His Majesty?

You really think the USA will send the Defense Secretary to Queen Elizabeth's funeral? I would be very surprised. So yes, I do think she would be treated differently.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app