Buying a car

padsist4

Yes... A foreigner can own a car in Thailand - its quite simple. 

Rules governing purchase...

1) Payment (in Full, or on *Finance)

2) Affirmation of Address*

Foreigners can get Finance with a Work Permit & Guarantor (there are numerous options), or if by Paying Cash the process is much simpler. 

Affirmation of address can be obtained:

- Embassy

- From Immigration if you have carried out a 90 day report

- Work Permit (is proof of address)

- Yellow House Book (is proof of address if you are listed in it).

Simple. Decide what car you want, go into the dealers and see what offer they are doing. Show them your Thai driving licence (For insurance) passport. Pay a deposit with the remaining cash monies on delivery. They will do all the paperwork for you.

You might need a proof of address, several ways of doing that. I didn't they just asked the wife where I lived and took her word for it.

Bit more agro if you want H/P. But if you put down 50% deposit you can get that without any problems.

Simple answer is YES

And Farang Dont Need a work permit nowadays ( I didn't )
It's preffered but not necessary

2 weeks ago I purchased a car in bkk from a 'tent'' as they are called
But very professional -search 105 LaSalle carcenter
They arranged everything ( instructed me what to get )
Which was original cert of residence ,copy bank statements ,driving licence ,passport pages showing visa etc ( mine was a 5 year Thai Elite )
And they arranged finance on it ( with a 30% dep )

MUCH EASIER than I thought it would be
( a thai speaking friend helped also with translation etc )

Sent from my BTV-DL09 using Tapatalk

I have owned, personally, 4 cars here in Thailand over 13 years. Two Toyota Altis, two Toyota Vigos. One high wheel base and one low wheel base.

At the time, I had a Non-Imm B + work permit. I believe you can still purchase in your own name, but you must obtain a Certificate of Residence from Immigration. The same applies, I believe, to Motorbikes.

I was too lazy to do that, so put my Motorbike in my wife's name. no problem.

4 hours ago, MikaQ5 said:

Simple answer is YES

And Farang Dont Need a work permit nowadays ( I didn't )
It's preffered but not necessary

2 weeks ago I purchased a car in bkk from a 'tent'' as they are called
But very professional -search 105 LaSalle carcenter
They arranged everything ( instructed me what to get )
Which was original cert of residence ,copy bank statements ,driving licence ,passport pages showing visa etc ( mine was a 5 year Thai Elite )
And they arranged finance on it ( with a 30% dep )

MUCH EASIER than I thought it would be
( a thai speaking friend helped also with translation etc )

Sent from my BTV-DL09 using Tapatalk

how high was the rate

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to check something from this thankfully recent on topic thread to my query :smile:

I spend a month every year in Thailand on a 30 day UK passport tourist visa.

I would like to buy an old car - would be cash buy.

My wife & I have a house in BKK. I don't know if I'm on a yellow card - never heard of it. House is in her name I believe. (Don't need any political comments on that thanks, I don't care)

I drive ( about 5000 km) on a UK licence with International Permit each year when in Thailand.

So based on OP's answers is it just a case of going along with her indoors,  handing over the cash and off I go, job's a good un? 

Cheers.

11 hours ago, Gordons said:

I just wanted to check something from this thankfully recent on topic thread to my query :smile:

I would like to buy an old car - would be cash buy.

My wife & I have a house in BKK. I don't know if I'm on a yellow card - never heard of it. House is in her name I believe. (Don't need any political comments on that thanks, I don't care)

I drive ( about 5000 km) on a UK licence with International Permit each year when in Thailand.

So based on OP's answers is it just a case of going along with her indoors,  handing over the cash and off I go, job's a good un? 

Cheers.

You will need Proof of Address ... could be a problem for you ... buy it in your wife's name is the easy option.

In Thailand it is the car that is insured ... not the driver so she doesn't need a licence to buy a car ..

Edited by JAS21

On 11/4/2017 at 10:29 PM, Gordons said:

To be honest, for just a month a year (unless someone else will use it whilst you're away), it would be more cost-effective to rent a vehicle. Less hassle (will it start, tax, insurance, MOT).

3 hours ago, Crossy said:

To be honest, for just a month a year (unless someone else will use it whilst you're away), it would be more cost-effective to rent a vehicle. Less hassle (will it start, tax, insurance, MOT).

I have a (snowbird) friend who lives here for half the year in his own house. He rents a newish car when here. We worked out the costs once and there is no question that for him it is cheaper than owning, and of course he also gets a newer car each year. And if it breaks down or needs servicing then he is given a replacement immediately and doesnt even have to waste his own time at the dealers.

1 hour ago, Gordons said:

I get a lot of satisfaction in the tinkering  

I understand, in an earlier life I maintained my own vehicles (by necessity rather than enjoyment). But now I need a car that starts on the button every time and doesn't stop on the way anywhere.

After 11 months stood unused consider you will have to fix before going anywhere:- Battery flat, fuel possibly gone off, handbrake brake seized on, clutch seized, local wildlife taken up residence (and eaten the wiring harness), tyres flat (and damaged) and a nasty damp, musty aroma inside.

During the Great Flood, my truck was flooded in (luckily not actually flooded itself), it only just started after 4 months and I had to take a hammer to the rear brakes (the one time I failed to leave it in gear, brake off).

6 hours ago, Gordons said:

:smile:

I hear what you say, but Tbh vehicle ownership is so much more that just cost/value  imo. I get a lot of satisfaction in the tinkering  

Buy a newish car. You may be doing more than just a little tinkering on an old banger here with unknown service/accident history. The easiest way is to put it in your wife's now (less paperwork on your part). 

I try to keep cars in my name - at least I can own something here, even though it's a depreciating asset:)

• 1 month later...
On 06/11/2017 at 1:05 PM, DavisH said:

Buy a newish car. You may be doing more than just a little tinkering on an old banger here with unknown service/accident history. The easiest way is to put it in your wife's now (less paperwork on your part). 

I try to keep cars in my name - at least I can own something here, even though it's a depreciating asset:)

Exactly easiest way isto have name on green card?  How do you do that does anyone know?