Amazon Fire Stick

Thai Ron

11 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Mind saying, who is the seller, how much was it and how long to ship? Thanks.

rockysdeals

2,900 baht + 900 baht shipping (included import tax)

Took a fair while. eBay's global shipping program is crap.

Everything goes to a giant hub in Kentucky before being re-routed abroad but it got here in the end 2 weeks in total.

Package was held in customs for 3 days; for what I don't know

5 minutes ago, Thai Ron said:

rockysdeals

2,900 baht + 900 baht shipping (included import tax)

Took a fair while. eBay's global shipping program is crap.

Everything goes to a giant hub in Kentucky before being re-routed abroad but it got here in the end 2 weeks in total.

Package was held in customs for 3 days; for what I don't know

Wow! 3800 baht ($116) for something that costs $24.99 from Amazon, that's a huge difference in price.

14 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Anyone used a shipping agent like myUS to ship items from Amazon?

Yes, not myUS, but others similar.

BTW, Amazon's Black Friday sale is underway already, and they're currently offering the 2nd gen Fire TV sticks with voice remote (the U.S. version) for $24.99, which I believe is an all-time low price for that device.

Personally, I prefer the better specs and faster response times with the Fire TV box 2nd gen, even though while supporting 4K, the current version still does not support HDR.

Just now, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Yes, not myUS, but others similar.

I know there's been some discussion on this, but is Amazon not sending Fire Sticks to Thailand because of some local restrictions? I wonder if I order one, either from Ebay or elsewhere, it's going to be hit with heavy duty. Also, there's no indication until you complete the purchase from myUS as to what the shipping costs will be.

I've never dealt with myUS, so I can't speak to them directly. But with others like Shipito or Planet Express, you order the item direct from Amazon and have it sent to your address with them. Then, once the item has arrived, based on weight, the provider gives you a range of shipping methods and prices, and you can choose the one that best fits your needs and budget.

There was the government announcement some time back declaring it illegal for people to import UN-LICENSED streaming devices into Thailand. But just how much that's being enforced by Customs seems to be an open question. There are still online retailers based in Thailand who are still publicly selling imported devices...

In the case of Amazon,, the U.S. version of the Fire TV stick was always intended only for a U.S. and a few other countries market where the full range of Amazon Prime video and other services are available. But lately, dunno if you're aware, Amazon came out with a different, international version of the Fire TV stick that's specifically available pretty much worldwide, and supposedly they'll ship worldwide. The difference with that device is, no Alexa voice support, may not support U.S. Prime video, and various other things.

In the past, I had no problem re-shipping Fire TV devices here. But I haven't tried that since the Thai government's declared import ban some months back.

37 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I've never dealt with myUS, so I can't speak to them directly. But with others like Shipito or Planet Express, you order the item direct from Amazon and have it sent to your address with them. Then, once the item has arrived, based on weight, the provider gives you a range of shipping methods and prices, and you can choose the one that best fits your needs and budget.

There was the government announcement some time back declaring it illegal for people to import UN-LICENSED streaming devices into Thailand. But just how much that's being enforced by Customs seems to be an open question. There are still online retailers based in Thailand who are still publicly selling imported devices...

In the case of Amazon,, the U.S. version of the Fire TV stick was always intended only for a U.S. and a few other countries market where the full range of Amazon Prime video and other services are available. But lately, dunno if you're aware, Amazon came out with a different, international version of the Fire TV stick that's specifically available pretty much worldwide, and supposedly they'll ship worldwide. The difference with that device is, no Alexa voice support, may not support U.S. Prime video, and various other things.

In the past, I had no problem re-shipping Fire TV devices here. But I haven't tried that since the Thai government's declared import ban some months back.

Thanks for all the info. What local sellers have the Fire Stick? I know Lazada had them for a while but they are now out of stock. They are still overpriced on Ebay, most are selling the one that sells on Amazon for $24.99 for $60 and over, plus postage.

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

Thanks for all the info. What local sellers have the Fire Stick? I know Lazada had them for a while but they are now out of stock. They are still overpriced on Ebay, most are selling the one that sells on Amazon for $24.99 for $60 and over, plus postage.

Sorry... the locally sold streaming device imports I'm aware of are things like the Xiaomi MiBox, Google's Chromecasts, and a few others. I've never seen much in the way of Fire TV devices sold directly here by 3rd parties. Nor Roku for that matter either...

But as I mentioned above, it's not too difficult to get either a regular Fire TV stick, by reshippers, or the new international version of the Fire TV stick, directly by Amazon, sent here. The only issue would be the potential for Customs to seize the device, in which case, you'd be out a few bucks.

12 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Sorry... the locally sold streaming device imports I'm aware of are things like the Xiaomi MiBox, Google's Chromecasts, and a few others. I've never seen much in the way of Fire TV devices sold directly here by 3rd parties. Nor Roku for that matter either...

But as I mentioned above, it's not too difficult to get either a regular Fire TV stick, by reshippers, or the new international version of the Fire TV stick, directly by Amazon, sent here. The only issue would be the potential for Customs to seize the device, in which case, you'd be out a few bucks.

Joined up with myUS, but what a nightmare to navigate. I think I already stuffed up. They give me a US address to use for ordering, so I go on Amazon and order a Fire Stick and pay using my credit card, then I see that I'm supposed to order through myUS. Amazon have the correct address to send it to in the US, but I can't see where I can enter an order number for myUS, but sent them off an email, so hopefully they can sort it out. All too hard!

I think you'd find Shipito or Planet Express easier to deal with.

Pretty simple: you get a U.S. address from either of them as your personal address. Then, you order directly from Amazon whatever you want using your own Amazon account, pay directly to Amazon, and then simply use your Shipito or Planet Express address as the delivery address. Once the package arrives, you go onto their website and choose the shipping method and price you want, and done.

3 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I think you'd find Shipito or Planet Express easier to deal with.

Pretty simple: you get a U.S. address from either of them as your personal address. Then, you order directly from Amazon whatever you want using your own Amazon account, pay directly to Amazon, and then simply use your Shipito or Planet Express address as the delivery address. Once the package arrives, you go onto their website and choose the shipping method and price you want, and done.

Next time I'll try Shipito, but I cancelled my Amazon order and have now ordered through myUS, but they give no indication of shipping costs as yet. Be interesting to see how much of a saving compared to just buying direct from Ebay. It has to be cheaper as Ebay is charging around $70-80 including delivery, so unless myUS charges $50 just to ship it I should be ahead.

Are you using one of those buying services, where the company goes out and online buys the item you want themselves, and then you pay them for it and the followup-delivery fees? I've never done it that way.

I know Shipito offers that service in situations where the end buyer (you) can't for whatever reason buy directly from the seller. But I've never used that approach, since they invariably tack on a lot of extra handling fees that you wouldn't pay if you simple bought it directly yourself.

3 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Are you using one of those buying services, where the company goes out and online buys the item you want themselves, and then you pay them for it and the followup-delivery fees? I've never done it that way.

I know Shipito offers that service in situations where the end buyer (you) can't for whatever reason buy directly from the seller. But I've never used that approach, since they invariably tack on a lot of extra handling fees that you wouldn't pay if you simple bought it directly yourself.

Yes, that's what myUS does. You give them the URL of the item, they order it and you then pay them plus whatever handling and shipping costs apply. Somehow I don't think there will be much of a saving over buying from Ebay. I know I can't order  direct from Amazon unless I use a US address. I guess I can still cancel the order.

BTW, re buying Fire Sticks from 3rd party sources like EBay, I'm no expert on that subject. But as best as I understand it, there can sometimes be problems with that because the original buyer has to register an Amazon account when they get the device, but then they're reselling it to a 3rd party. And there was a time recently when Amazon was de-registering Fire devices where they saw that the buyer (like a re-seller) had more than 10 or some such number of devices registered in the same name or address or whatever.

It ended up causing a bit of a kerfuffle because there are actually some original buyers out there who, believe it or not, have that large a number of devices bought for their own personal use. Like, someone who bought the original Fire stick and box, and then bought the 2nd gen stick and box, and maybe bought for extra rooms at home, etc etc... So all of a sudden, those folks woke up one morning and discovered that all of their Fire devices had suddenly be de-registered by Amazon...

2 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Yes, that's what myUS does. You give them the URL of the item, they order it and you then pay them plus whatever handling and shipping costs apply. Somehow I don't think there will be much of a saving over buying from Ebay. I know I can't order  direct from Amazon unless I use a US address. I guess I can still cancel the order.

The point of using an entity like Shipito or Planet Express is they provide you with your own, real, legitimate U.S. mailing address that you can use for your own Amazon orders and anything else you desire. Your items arrive to your address with them, and then you tell them how you want them sent onward.

7 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The point of using an entity like Shipito or Planet Express is they provide you with your own, real, legitimate U.S. mailing address that you can use for your own Amazon orders and anything else you desire. Your items arrive to your address with them, and then you tell them how you want them sent onward.

myUS has provided me with a US shipping address, which is probably their own, so it works pretty much the same way except they do the ordering.

Edit: No, got cold feet, cancelled my order. I believe Lazada will be stocking them again so I'll wait for that. I did check the shipping rates for myUS, the cheapest would be $15 which is about a third of what Global Shipping on Ebay charges.

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, pmarlin said:

Amazon now sells an export version of the fire stick  basic for $49 and ships to Thailand.

https://www.amazon.com/Stick-Basic-Available-Non-US-Customers/dp/B01ETRGE7M/

Some of the downsides to this version, as opposed to the current 2nd gen U.S. version, are the lack of a voice remote and Alexa capability. The U.S. version lists for $39.99, and at times is on sale for $35 and even more rarely $29 I believe.

The US version won't work with Prime video in Thailand. It doesn't allow you to enter the  geographical information that is needed in order to work. It only accepts zip codes for US locations and the four or five other countries it supports. While the basic versions supports over 90 countries. Fire stick basic is the same as the 2nd gen but without voice control. And Amazon won't ship the Alexa version to Thailand and not support it.

The U.S. versions of both the Fire Stick 2nd gen and the Fire TV box 2nd gen both work perfectly fine here and will play the entire U.S. Amazon Prime video catelog -- provided you're a U.S. Amazon Prime member/accountholder AND connect via a router-based U.S. VPN service that's compatible. (And actually nowadays, there are a couple VPN services that actually have Amazon apps for the Fire TV devices, so you don't even need router VPN with those. I think IP Vanish is one such app).

https://support.ipvanish.com/hc/en-us/articles/115002080593-Setting-Up-IPVanish-on-Amazon-Fire-TV-Fire-Stick-

I think the U.S.-version Fire TV devices will NOT work with the generalized INTERNATIONAL version/accounts of Amazon Prime Video.

BTW, at least on the U.S. versions of the stick and the box, the zip code settings in the OS Settings menu have NOTHING to do with the streaming content that's available. I believe it's mainly related to the Fire device showing you the pertinent weather and other localized info.

4 hours ago, pmarlin said:

The US version won't work with Prime video in Thailand. It doesn't allow you to enter the  geographical information that is needed in order to work. It only accepts zip codes for US locations and the four or five other countries it supports. While the basic versions supports over 90 countries. Fire stick basic is the same as the 2nd gen but without voice control. And Amazon won't ship the Alexa version to Thailand and not support it.

I have 2 Fire sticks from the UK. With Amazon Prime Video I cannot access the US version on either of them.

The content that is available here is woeful to say the least. Took  out a free 7 day trial and cancelled it after 3 days.

Will stick with Netflix. Iflix. Foxtel. Kodi and several movie apps all which  work very very well.

39 minutes ago, tlcwaterfall said:

I have 2 Fire sticks from the UK. With Amazon Prime Video I cannot access the US version on either of them.

The content that is available here is woeful to say the least. Took  out a free 7 day trial and cancelled it after 3 days.

Will stick with Netflix. Iflix. Foxtel. Kodi and several movie apps all which  work very very well.

If you have UK based Fire Sticks AND a UK based Amazon Prime Video account, those devices should be able to access the good/bigger UK catalog here, as long as you're using them with a compatible VPN giving you a UK IP address.

But if you're trying to use UK-based devices with an international Amazon Prime Video account created in Thailand and a local internet connection/IP address, it's not going to be good.

Archived