Video: Are these cops kicking a man off his motorbike?

webfact

Video: Are these cops kicking a man off his motorbike?

2pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Comment was rife online at the weekend after video was posted that appeared to show motorcycle police in Hat Yai chasing a man on another bike.

In a 52 second video that appeared to be from a dash cam the men that appear to be in police uniform can be seen chasing a white shirted man through traffic.

After a series of swerves through daytime traffic the man or his bike is kicked and ends up on the tarmac at considerable speed.

Daily News online said it was not yet confirmed that they were police officers.

Netizens were in no doubt with most people saying that the man in white had likely committed a crime. But others were concerned for his welfare.

The footage was posted to a traffic news fan page on Facebook called "Hua Poke".

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-10-23

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, simon43 said:

LoL, when I worked in Laos, that was the standard tactic used by the police to stop someone on a motorbike :)

They do the same here on their roadblocks. Motorcyclists failing to stop will be subjected to officers attempting to bring them off by kicking at the front wheel. 

30 minutes ago, 01322521959 said:

Wow! That was upsetting to watch. BIB acting judge, jury and executioner. In a western country they'd have their <deleted> sued. 

Anyone that ignores a police order to stop is automatically guilty of an offence, and it's within his powers to bring the criminals to hand. Irrespective what country your're in. Just my opinion.

A multifaceted issue we are attempting to place in the simple box of right or wrong. 

Many would suggest that its his (the bike rider's) own fault for not stopping. However, with a highly corrupt police force, whom few have respect for many would understand why he didn't stop. 

He could simply have been someone who forgot to carry his Driving License that day and had no wish to face the inevitable extortion. Attempting to evade the BiB is daft, but understandable in this case. 

Many foreigners on other ThaiVisa threads have suggested that they just swerve round the Police and do the same because they are sick of their extortion. 

I've spoken to numerous bike riders who when stopped by the Police, even when fully legal get pinged for something. One guy told me that the BiB placed a sheet of A4 paper over his number plate and fined the rider because the number plate was 1mm smaller than the A4 paper (never heard that one before !). 

For what ever reasons the BiB see motorcyclists as fair game. It could be that there are so many motorcyclists breaking the law without license, tax etc... but I see that many are treated incredibly unfairly and targeted.

IF I were to be pulled over on a bike, I am well aware that I would be treated very differently than if I am pulled over in my Car. On a Bike the BiB will chance any ridiculous small charge to get a fine. In a car they  are much less confident in their ability to extort some cash out of nothing. 

Alternatively, if the Bike Rider is a murderer on the run or fleeing from a Robbery etc... good job police !

In Summary: IF the BiB had a better more honorable reputation many would not feel compelled to take such risky measures to avoid getting pulled over. 

3 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Are you sure kicking him off the bike was the only way left?

just my opinion...I'm sure they were screaming at him to pull over many times..if in fact that was the case..we don't know...just my guess...so what else was there left to do?

1 minute ago, Lingba said:

just my opinion...I'm sure they were screaming at him to pull over many times..if in fact that was the case..we don't know...just my guess...so what else was there left to do?

Well I’d say not kicking him off the bike would be a starter. 

It is also possible that the driver was on his way to the hospital because he was suffering from a heart attack and stopping would be fatal. Our he was bringing medicine his child needed to receive in the next five minutes to save his life. Or a thousand other extenuating reasons. At this point we don't know. The policeman also did not know the reason for not immediately stopping and yet felt he had three right to kill the driver (since that obviously would always be a potential result of a high-speed crash.)

It is NOT ok for police to use more force than necessary to enforce ANY law. Would you say it would be ok for a policeman to fire a bullet into your brain because you dropped a chewing gum wrapper?

Great tactic ... similar to he PIT manoeuvre, or Pursuit Intervention Technique. Other names include pit block, pit stop and blocking. Other interpretations of the acronym "PIT" include pursuit immobilisation technique, pursuit intervention technique, precision immobilisation technique, push it tough, parallel immobilisation technique, and precision intervention tactic. This is the Thai version called ... Police Interference in Thailand

Archived