Mechanic killed in ten wheeler collision as pick-up taken out on test run

webfact

16 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Even idiots don't deserve to die. Maybe people without compassion....? You may also notice it was the passenger that died. High speed/No seat belts/Nothing new.

if you give an idiot a second chance ......he's gone make the same mistake.....

and next time it could be my child he runs over ......no,no compassion for those idiots.

You can forgive them if you want , that's up to you.

On 25/10/2017 at 1:02 PM, zaphod reborn said:

Test run?  More like a high-speed joyride.  They need to clamp down on these repair shops that allow the mechanics to take customer cars out on the road.  

This was obviously a bit of a joy ride and not a road test which is the normal procedure after a vehicle has been worked on. How else would a mechanic know if a vehicle was ok or not?

An internet skid mark calculator says 100 meters of skid marks shows 133 km/82 mph of speed.  Not counting the force of the impact.  

They may have been running over 160km/100mph.  

I am going to make an assumption that the 10 wheeler may have looked before entering the roadway.  But because of the above speed, he may have miscalculated how much time he had to do so.  

If the pickup was traveling at 160 km, then it would have been moving at 45.7 m / 150 ft per second!  

I occasionally have a similar experience near my house (not Thailand).   I turn left/right at a T intersection with a vehicle  30.4 m / 100 ft away, speed limit is 65 km / 40 mph and the vehicle is almost on top of my vehicle before I can complete the turn.  

I think my calculations are correct for this.  You can let me know if they are not. :-P

Judging by the look of the oversized wheels that had been put on the front of the bog standard Isuzu, the implied speed regarding the length of the skid marks, the young Thai man and his transport mentality and the driver didn't own the truck anyhow so would not have been exercising as much restraint as if he had owned it...what could go wrong?

The driver of the truck fled the scene.

Sigh....facepalm. 

5 hours ago, radiochaser said:

An internet skid mark calculator says 100 meters of skid marks shows 133 km/82 mph of speed.  Not counting the force of the impact.  

They may have been running over 160km/100mph.  

I am going to make an assumption that the 10 wheeler may have looked before entering the roadway.  But because of the above speed, he may have miscalculated how much time he had to do so.  

If the pickup was traveling at 160 km, then it would have been moving at 45.7 m / 150 ft per second!  

I occasionally have a similar experience near my house (not Thailand).   I turn left/right at a T intersection with a vehicle  30.4 m / 100 ft away, speed limit is 65 km / 40 mph and the vehicle is almost on top of my vehicle before I can complete the turn.  

I think my calculations are correct for this.  You can let me know if they are not. :-P

Your calculations are (probably) correct provided yhst the original data was. I drive down this road regularly, and did so again today. The "100 metre" skid marks are actually 30-40 metres, directed towards the opposite lane, which implies that the pickup driver tried to steer round the 10-wheeler, which kept on going using the full width of the road. The fact that the driver fled the scene implies he knew he was in the wrong. I'm not completely exonerating the pickup driver, though - the incident happened at the end of a long left-hand curve giving restricted view of the road ahead, so some more defensive driving would not have come amiss.