Saudi crown prince promises 'a more moderate Islam'

webfact

Saudi crown prince promises 'a more moderate Islam'

By Eliott C. McLaughlin, CNN

(CNN)As his country experiences the early pangs of a cultural and economic transformation, Saudi Arabia's crown prince vowed Tuesday to destroy "extremist ideologies" in a bid to return to "a more moderate Islam."

Speaking at the Future Investment Initiative conference in Riyadh, Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman said the moves will put the kingdom in lockstep with many other nations as it seeks to transform its economy over the coming decades.

"We want to lead normal lives, lives where our religion and our traditions translate into tolerance, so that we coexist with the world and become part of the development of the world," he said.

Full story:  http://edition.cnn.com/2017/10/24/middleeast/saudi-arabia-prince-more-moderate-islam/index.html

cnn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright CNN 2017-10-25

50 minutes ago, hansnl said:

There is no such thing as a moderate islam.

There is only the submission to islam, ultimately.

For 1400 years christian communities in the middle east survived and thrived in Islamic nations. Islamic governments ruled over large parts of India that were and are still overwhelmingly Hindu.

13 minutes ago, gamini said:

Guess you have never heard of Malaysia and Indonesia.? Both very moderate.

Seriously? Visit those countries before making glib remarks. Ask non-muslim minorities in both countries how they feel about living in a "moderate" islamic society.

18 minutes ago, tubby johnson said:

Seriously? Visit those countries before making glib remarks. Ask non-muslim minorities in both countries how they feel about living in a "moderate" islamic society.

And more recently ask the GLTB community in Indonesia about their current situation, tolerance in fact regressing. 

3 hours ago, ilostmypassword said:

For 1400 years christian communities in the middle east survived and thrived in Islamic nations. Islamic governments ruled over large parts of India that were and are still overwhelmingly Hindu.

This thread is about Saudi, not nations that had large and important Christian communities before Islam started.

Given that Islamic policy is made by the Mutawa and not the royals, I think the crown prince is talking through a hole in his thobe.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

7 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

This thread is about Saudi, not nations that had large and important Christian communities before Islam started.

Given that Islamic policy is made by the Mutawa and not the royals, I think the crown prince is talking through a hole in his thobe.

I was replying to what's below. If you got a problem with a deflection, take it up with hansnl.

4 hours ago, hansnl said:

5 hours ago, ilostmypassword said:

No they did not thrive at all and had to pay a tax for not being Muslim, and they could not usually hold any public office. Did you know the yellow star worn by Jews to mark them out was Islamic in origin? Jews even had to cross the road to avoid 'contaminating' Muslims. All unbelievers were second class citizens as the Quran says they (we)  are the worst of people.

The wealth of the Saudis is used to buy for billions $ of weapons and finance terrorism including Daesh
The good prince can already stop obscurantism and then we'll see

"Moderate" ...  The Saudis are now waiting for cinemas and more entertainment, arts, music ... long banned by conservative circles

"Tolerant"

Will Saudi Schools Still Teach Hatred for West?

" One of the text books asks children to list the "reprehensible" qualities of Jewish people. A text for younger children asks what happens to someone who dies who is not a believer in Islam - the answer given in the text book is "hellfire"."

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-11799713

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Could be. Then again, the crown prince does have a certain thing about making changes and taking action. Not that his judgement and execution (no puns intended) are top notch. Maybe he's got notions of shifting the agreed upon balance between crown and clergy.

Meanwhile, at least they dream big:

Saudi Arabia just announced plans to build a $500 billion mega-city that's 33 times the size of New York City

http://www.businessinsider.com/saudi-arabia-mega-city-jordan-egypt-oil-2017-10

Richard Branson to invest in Saudi Arabia tourism project

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/richard-branson-saudi-arabia-red-sea-tourism-project-islands-lagoon-madain-saleh-a7979286.html

Moderate Islam is a possibility but it will face serious resistance from the Salafists who have been bankrolled worldwide for decades by, of all people, the descendants of Ibn Saud and their oil money. It would take generations at best to now reform Islam and lead it away from Salafism. The Saud dynasty may collapse before that happens and be replaced by another Wahabi backed clan. Of course the other clan supporting the Saudis is that led by King James the Baker in Houston.

How does the Prince propose to put the extremism genie back in the bottle?  Hint, he doesn't really.

The Saudis funded and seeded it everywhere.

From:  https://www.cfr.org/event/chris-murphy-roots-radical-extremism 

"According to some estimates, since the 1960s, the Saudis have funneled over USD 100 billion into funding schools and mosques all over

the world with the mission of spreading puritanical Wahhabi Islam."

A problem in the making on a global scale for almost 6 decades is not going to suddenly disappear simply because the Prince says it is so.

I'll admit I "cherry picked" the quote to make my point, its a complicated issue (recommend you read the article if you're so inclined)

Edited by expat_4_life

7 hours ago, blazes said:

Seeing is believing.  When I hear that a Christian church has been built in Saudi Arabia, then and only then will I believe this stuff....

....and Jews are still barred from entering S.Arabia.

When I read the title for this thread, I likened it to pouring a bucket of water into a brown pond and claiming it's now cleaner.

Churches are dealing with a steady decline in attendance,young people are just not believers anymore.

There is a very big possibility that soon enough the mosques are having the same problems.

Do you really think most Muslims are enjoying being ruled by extremists?

1 hour ago, jvs said:

Churches are dealing with a steady decline in attendance,young people are just not believers anymore.

There is a very big possibility that soon enough the mosques are having the same problems.

Do you really think most Muslims are enjoying being ruled by extremists?

Islamic communities contain 'tsunamis of atheism' that are being ...

“There’s a tsunami of atheism in Muslim communities across the globe and in Britain. It’s a time bomb that can’t be seen but is exploding. There needs to be more recognition so people get the support they need.”

11 hours ago, hansnl said:

There is no such thing as moderate christianity.

There is only the submission to christianity, ultimately.

I really doubt that Saudi Arabia will be able to adopt a moderate version of Islam. Even if the prince is sincere in what he is saying, my guess is that the ultra-religious ulama,  Salafists, etc. won't allow this to happen.

I hope my guess will be proven wrong. We'll see.

Silly, about as bad as the UN putting Suadi Arabia on a human rights council. 

There is nothing such as moderate Islam, Christianity or any other religion. Just look at America where most American Muslims are well integrated, better educated and have higher incomes than the average American, even the much maligned White Male. Do what you want , be as conservative and religious a you want, have grandma put a black sack on her head but DON'T push your beliefs on others and accept the fact that there are others who don't follow your way, and they are just as entitled to do so as anybody!

The problem is not Islam but Islamism, which is a pervasive political ideology that is fundamentally intolerant and spreads terrorism and violence everywhere it emerges thanks in no small part to Saudi Arabia.

20 hours ago, webfact said:

"We want to lead normal lives, lives where our religion and our traditions translate into tolerance, so that we coexist with the world and become part of the development of the world," he said.

In what context? You cannot develop alongside those whose beliefs or practices you do not tolerate inside your own walls.